Dayne dual wielding

7 hours ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

3. They didn't even mention Dawn. Will Dawn be important for the story? I dunno. I am sure it will be in the books. Either way, I'm sorry but it's hilarious that a warrior famously known for having a legendary sword, suddenly uses another one :dunno: 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/robwazhere/dawn_zps7adgiaek.jpg

Now I know that Dawn doesn't really look like it's described in the books, but then again in this show, WHAT DOES?  Lol.  What other bright, whitish, ripply Valyrian steel looking sword could Arthur Dayne possibly be carrying?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:25 PM, Misnthropia said:

In the same very scene Bran says over and over about how Ned told stories about defeating Ser Arthur Dayne. For it to end with Reed stabbing him in the back is a pretty big discredit to Ned and his honor.

Actually he doesn't.

He says that he'd heard the story thousands of times. He never says Ned was the one telling it.

In the books, lots of people at Winterfell told the story of how their young lord beat the deadliest of Arys' Kingsguard in single combat. But the one time Bran remembers Ned talking about Dayne, he told him he was the best Knight he'd ever seen. " And he would have killed me but for Howland Reed ".

12 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

It's good to see that selective and deceptive quotation is a universal, rather than a specific, trait for you. He says more than once that he has "no problem" with the dual wielding in this scene, because it did happen historically, and because it could be useful against multiple opponents. His comments about battle, in context, plainly refer to circumstances other than this scene. They refer, as he says, to battle. 

Right LOL Not even trying to be subtle about it. Oh the bitterness

2 hours ago, Chicxulub said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/robwazhere/dawn_zps7adgiaek.jpg

Now I know that Dawn doesn't really look like it's described in the books, but then again in this show, WHAT DOES?  Lol.  What other bright, whitish, ripply Valyrian steel looking sword could Arthur Dayne possibly be carrying?

Well, my problem with this is not that he does use it or not... is like, we readers know this. Show watchers probably have no idea this sword of him is supposed to be famous.

Yet, somehow they know its name is Dawn.

Getting tired of make HBO/DD's work of having to explain what they are supposed to explain.

13 hours ago, Vastet said:

This is no longer GRRMs vision though, so none of your first 3 points really matter.

This is a classic denial argument. GRRM signed off on it. GRRM laid out his vision to D&D. GRRM has even written a number of episodes. Some of the details are different, but it's the same story told across two different mediums. By the very nature of adapting a novel to television things are going to change and be different, you can't help that. You don't have to like the show, but the notion that somehow the novels are more "visionary" than the show is absurd. Unless you want to blame Martin for not writing quicker, or selling out(and you wouldn't be the first) just enjoy the new material or don't. I'm kinda tired of people going into painstaking detail of how much they supposedly hate something or getting angry at other fans for liking something they don't. Let's face it... if you hated the show, you wouldn't be on a discussion form talking about it. Or if you are, maybe spend your time doing something you enjoy. You might be more positively inclined.

GRRM specifically stated recently that the show can't spoil the books because they are going down different roads. You are in denial, not me. This is no longer his vision. Much like Star Wars is no longer Lucas' vision. Accept it. Move on.

I love the show, despite its flaws. I've never seen a film or show I couldn't rip to shreds if I were so inclined. So I can easily overlook flaws and differences between the books and show. They are different animals in incompatible mediums. Expecting perfection is ridiculous.

On 5/11/2016 at 8:30 PM, TheKnightOfJests said:

Please explain why studying it would be a waste.

Because you can make your way through today's societies with a concealed handgun or knife very easily. A sword not so much.

Also it hasn't even been a century since swords stopped being used in the military. Do you think the second someone made a black powder rifle, that all of Europe suddenly went "well guys we may as well just start wearing coats, and use these things as paper weights"?

For a normal human life span, even 50yrs ago is a long, long time.

On 10/05/2016 at 0:41 AM, TheKnightOfJests said:

........................ He used it in the book................ the original source material....................... seriously?

EDIT!: I thought he used it in the book, and I still (like other fans as well) like to think he did. Still my bad. Swords that big were used in history though, and Ice is a Valyrian blade, meaning it probably could have been used by a strong Northman like Ned. Honestly seeing those two swords (Dawn in the book also being a greatsword) clash together would have been awesome! Plus we've never scene two Valyrian steel blades clash in the show, and also (save the Mountain who used it like a normal sword) haven't seen fighting with actual swords that require two hands.

I just think it would have looked cool.

Its cool that you actually corrected yourself ^_^

Maybe someone big like The Mountain could wield it, yes, or a Giant :o

The name Ice is probably 8000 years old but the sword that Ned had is not the original sword Ice of House Stark.

Someone lost it and then they replaced it with another and gave it the same name. They might have done it more than a few times in 8000 years ;)

"Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North. " - AGOT

It mimics the habbit of naming every Lord Stark -> Brandon, although they are not the same, the name carries some weight.B)

I like it because it is more realistic, its easy to lose personal objects specially in times of war and with such a long time span.

On 5/17/2016 at 0:42 PM, NSR or FD said:

Studying fencing is no different from someone studying a sport like football.

People who know the rules of football, baseball,etc know what's right and wrong in a game, or in relation to this; a movie, or show adaptation of a game. Someone commenting on the inaccuracies of a sword fight is no different.

On 5/19/2016 at 10:53 PM, TheKnightOfJests said:

Studying fencing is no different from someone studying a sport like football.

People who know the rules of football, baseball,etc know what's right and wrong in a game, or in relation to this; a movie, or show adaptation of a game. Someone commenting on the inaccuracies of a sword fight is no different.

Last time I'll respond about this.

Those are all sports, not a fight or much less a fight to the death. Shit happens in fights and techniques got modified, forgotten, improvised etc.

By all mean think that your fencing or sword training will somehow someday actually aid you in a life or death situation, that's your prerogative and I believe in personal liberties. Take care.

On 5/20/2016 at 10:05 AM, NSR or FD said:

Last time I'll respond about this.

Those are all sports, not a fight or much less a fight to the death. Shit happens in fights and techniques got modified, forgotten, improvised etc.

By all mean think that your fencing or sword training will somehow someday actually aid you in a life or death situation, that's your prerogative and I believe in personal liberties. Take care.

That doesn't mean when I,or another person who takes fencing sees something in a sword fight that is utterly idiotic that we have no right to give an opinion on it cause we've "never been in a fight". True modifications exist, improvisations, and such, but some things are still blatantly wrong.

Aside from the brief time Dayne used the reversed grip on his longsword, I actually liked the fight. I was more commenting on the idea that people for some reason are called "stupid" for enjoying a "useless" practice. Fencing is also a sport. Even if it won't aid in a life or death situation (which it can though unlikely), dissing someone for doing fencing is the same as dissing someone for doing any other hobby.

Feel free not to respond, just defending reasoning.  

Ser Arthur Dayne knew he was going to die by the words he used.  Mance Rayder used the exact same words when he died in the TV show.  I have always had a theory that Rhaegar told Dayne of the prophecy that he read all those years ago since the 2 of them were best friends.  Dayne knew he had to die that day for the good of the realm.

http://imgur.com/a/j5ZVP

Archived