Are the Umbers up to something?

The Old Tongue

3 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

People who think the Umbers are conspiring something are giving D&D far too much credit.

I'm starting to believe that, too...

2 hours ago, Challenger1978 said:

Can i get a link to those as i've not read them yet.

Spoiler

An extra who was on the Battle of the North (episode 9) posted this

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The Umbers are not a Manderly stand in, because the show has name checked the Manderlys now several times.  This means the Manderlys will show up.  They may be very different from the book version, but they're going to show up one way or the other.

Yes.  This.  Not only were they specifically and obviously name-checked, but the casting for a character named "Fletcher" is precisely Manderly.  I'd be shocked if we didn't get some version of Manderly and some version of the "North Remembers" speech, whether from Manderly or Lyanna Mormont.

4 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

People who think the Umbers are conspiring something are giving D&D far too much credit.

Most likely yes.  TV show constraints make it tough to do a large-level intricate conspiracy like this, and the simplest story makes sense.  Umbers need Bolton help dealing with wildlings and are willing to trade Rickon for that.

Assuming that this isn't up there with "Jon Snow is really dead, he really is," Art Parkinson, has said of Rickon's pet:

" Uh, yeah, I’d say so. It was a little bit disappointing because, you know, looking at the dogs we had on set … and that you’d never really get to hang out with them again. When I read that Shaggydog was dead, I was definitely a little upset. "

and of the Umbers' long game I hope for:

"Well, you know, the show is so full of twists and turns, so it is possible, but it would be disappointing if Jon Umber did really betray us. "

Goddamit, can they just stop killing the direwolves? It guts me just as much as when they kill a Stark. So I guess I must accept that it was really Shaggydog...:unsure:. Dammit. 

Ok long time lurker, first time poster. Let me throw something out there.....

What if there is a little more to the statement "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" and the Umbers are aware of it. On the open credits in the introductory scenes showing the various cities the show was about to visit, the wierwood tree was shown in severe distress when the city was not inhabited by a Stark. The tree recovered upon Sansa's return.

There are some other theory's out there that suggest Winterfell is a safe haven from the White Walkers, and they would not be able to enter the city. Maybe in order for this to hold true, and the tree (that is the source of the mystical power), to stay alive, Rickon HAD to be brought to Winterfell. As far as the Umbers know, Rickon is the only surviving Stark left.

4 hours ago, Ice Spider said:

Ok long time lurker, first time poster. Let me throw something out there.....

What if there is a little more to the statement "there must always be a Stark in Winterfell" and the Umbers are aware of it. On the open credits in the introductory scenes showing the various cities the show was about to visit, the wierwood tree was shown in severe distress when the city was not inhabited by a Stark. The tree recovered upon Sansa's return.

There are some other theory's out there that suggest Winterfell is a safe haven from the White Walkers, and they would not be able to enter the city. Maybe in order for this to hold true, and the tree (that is the source of the mystical power), to stay alive, Rickon HAD to be brought to Winterfell. As far as the Umbers know, Rickon is the only surviving Stark left.

Yup, that would be the best way to explain the move.

We know there is something about the crypts, the hot-springs, and the weirwoods of Winterfell. There is also a promise that the Manderlys allude to in the novels. I have also wondered whether if Winterfell turns out to be some sort of safehaven where Winter fell, but there must be a Stark in Winterfell. That would make sense, and it would also explain part of the reason why the Starks have remained the rulers of the North for so long.

This is obviously going out on a limb but it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell is just a saying, there is no supernatural origins for it, and things don't supernaturally go bad for them just because there isn't a Stark there. It's like a Lannister always pays his debts, it doesn't mean Lannisters who don't pay their debts are supernaturally cursed.

17 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

There must always be a Stark in Winterfell is just a saying, there is no supernatural origins for it, it's like a Lannister always pays his debts, it doesn't mean Lannisters who don't pay their debts are supernaturally cursed.

So, the Targaryan can have mystical ties to Dragons, but the Starks cannot have the same ties to the Wierwoods?

Fire and Ice

Until i see otherwise (i believe no spoilers on places like reddit. Because lmao reddit), im gonna assume Umbers solemnly swear they are up to no good in regards to Ramsay and stabbing him in the back. Either way, i really freaking doubt Rickon is getting killed off. 

6 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The Stark mystical powers are tied to the Weirwoods, not Winterfell. 

And there is a wierwood in Winterfell, rendering the area a safe haven, just like the tree in which the 3 eyed ravens resides in is safe from the others. There is something more to this saying. I am sure I don't have it entirely right, but I would wager there is some more significance to it that you are allowing.

8 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

There are Weirwods in Winterfell, there are also Weirwoods all over the north, and beyond the wall.  A mystical tie to Weirwoods does not require the Starks to be in one physical location.

Arya's all the way in Braavos and her skin changing abilities are still as strong as ever.

What? Why would you even bring up Arya? Her abilities are not tied to being a stark at the moment.

40 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Are we reading the same books? The Arya that is skinchanging into cats and having wolf dreams?

All my commentary is based solely on the TV show, not the books.

Game of Thrones: The HBO TV Series Season 6 episode three......

Archived