He returns when Cersei is arrested. He's there when she enters the Red Keep after her walk of atonement. I don't think he says anything in that scene, so if one doesn't recognize him he's pretty easy to miss.

Ok, thanks.  I haven't watched that scene in about a month, I'll take a look at it again.  Although the other thing that is bothering me, why was there no dialogue about him becoming Hand of the King. You think a show would make mention of that. Even a quick sentence to Cersei that during her imprisonment, Kevan came back and took on the role.

Did I completely imagine him being killed at the end of last season? I guess I must have... there were so many deaths going on in that season finale you'd think they might include the ones GRRM actually wrote. 

10 minutes ago, Lady Snowsand said:

Ok, thanks.  I haven't watched that scene in about a month, I'll take a look at it again.  Although the other thing that is bothering me, why was there no dialogue about him becoming Hand of the King. You think a show would make mention of that. Even a quick sentence to Cersei that during her imprisonment, Kevan came back and took on the role.

I guess they thought showing the pin was enough to make people read between the lines. 

20 minutes ago, Lady Snowsand said:

Although the other thing that is bothering me, why was there no dialogue about him becoming Hand of the King. You think a show would make mention of that. Even a quick sentence to Cersei that during her imprisonment, Kevan came back and took on the role.

Because seeing the pin on him was sufficient.

11 minutes ago, Balerion the one eared cat said:

Did I completely imagine him being killed at the end of last season? I guess I must have... there were so many deaths going on in that season finale you'd think they might include the ones GRRM actually wrote. 

I imagine that we will see some version of the ADwD epilogue on the show.

27 minutes ago, Lady Snowsand said:

I thought it was adressed during season 5. At least Kevan was standing there, when Ungregor picked up nekkid Cersai. Kevan BTW is virtually the only logic pick for hand of the king.

On 5/9/2016 at 5:10 PM, The 999th Sword of Braavos said:

As soon as they introduced that little birds story line you knew Varys was going to get one to assassinate Kevan. 

You mean Qyburn, right?

On 5/9/2016 at 5:31 PM, Hodor's Aunt said:

I thought it was adressed during season 5. At least Kevan was standing there, when Ungregor picked up nekkid Cersai. Kevan BTW is virtually the only logic pick for hand of the king.

That's why he has to go. After all, chaos is a laddah.

When Qyburn was visiting Cersei's cell last season he flat out tells Cersei that Kevan has returned as Hand of the King. Cersei then asked to see him and he apparently had refused. And as mentioned he was present when Cersei returned to the Red Keep even if he didn't have any dialogue. I do wish he had been a bit more prominent, but I suppose there's only so much screen time to be had. Otherwise they'd have to cut something really important like the Grey Worm/Missandrei romance.

• 4 months later...

I do not like how the show portrays Kevan Lannister. Not only was he Tywin's brother, but his right hand man for decades. The show makes him seem indecisive and unsure, which in the books he is not. He takes immediate and decisive action to repair all the damage Cercei had done. He arranged Cercei's walk of atonement.

While Kevan Lannister is less ruthless than Tywin he was just as capable and dangerous, which is why Varys had him killed.

+1

Exactly as Slaysman said. Death of Kevan was a MAJOR blow to House Lannister, easily the most shattering moment since Tywin's demise. I thought ADWD left little doubt how important and intelligent figure he was. Plus finishing a book with such gut-wrenching death only magnifies his importance.

6 minutes ago, thi4f said:

+1

Exactly as Slaysman said. Death of Kevan was a MAJOR blow to House Lannister, easily the most shattering moment since Tywin's demise. I thought ADWD left little doubt how important and intelligent figure he was. Plus finishing a book with such gut-wrenching death only magnifies his importance.

I am glad I am not the only one who remembers that. Thank you thi4f.

On 9/27/2016 at 3:47 PM, thi4f said:

+1

Actually his death was the final nail in the coffin for House Lannister in my opinion. He would have been able to save the House. Now...well Cersei just killed her House to show how much like Tywin she really is.

Archived