New Commander of the Watch... Dolorous Ed?

Clariana

Was this actually foreshadowed in Dance of Dragons when Ed complains about the people voting for him in the election that chose Jon Snow?

Would Ed actually make a good Lord Commander? I think he would, he's been there and done that (Hardhome), he's a modest man with a dry sense of humour... He's aware of the greater dangers. When someone had to gather the Wildings for action... He did it and just in time.

As for Davos... Will he join the Watch...  My idea is that after discovering what happened to Shireen he kills the Red Woman and then joins the Watch as a form of repentance... Plus he has friends there now.

Davos joining Night's Watch? I imagine the Wall will fall down at the end of this season... so no joining of NW, he'll be with Jon and Sansa. Helping them to fight walkers. Edd will be in charge and Jon made that symbolic gesture...as he's done with them as organization and who can blame him. Will he make a good LC? Yes most likely as Edd is a good guy, honorable...but ultimately he'll die when the wall falls down.

9 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Davos joining Night's Watch? I imagine the Wall will fall down at the end of this season... so no joining of NW, he'll be with Jon and Sansa. Helping them to fight walkers. Edd will be in charge and Jon made that symbolic gesture...as he's done with them as organization and who can blame him. Will he make a good LC? Yes most likely as Edd is a good guy, honorable...but ultimately he'll die when the wall falls down.

"Mormont's Lord Commander and the Wall holds, Snow's Lord Commander and the Wall holds, but as soon as I'm named Lord Commander the damn thing falls. Of course." - a resigned and morose Dolorous Edd as he witnesses the end of civilization. 

So fitting. 

Edd was Jon's deputy, so with the LC resigning, he automatically takes over as interim commander. There still needs to be an election. I don't think he's really up to the job, but I don't think there are any other named NW characters left in the show, so I guess he'll win the election (off screen) by default. It doesn't really matter as the NW will play a bit-part role in the background, kind of as extras, as Jon consolidates the fighting forces in the North.

3 hours ago, Petite Psycophant said:

Why on God's green earth would Davos join the Watch?! He's got a wife for crying out loud! Am I the only one here astonished by all the crazy theories and suggestions people are coming up with lately?

Is his wife important in the tv series?

He had only one son and he died.

He had one King, and he was killed.

His enemies now are the Others.

Davos is both a commoner and a noble, a smuggler and a Hand, he combines all the categories that the Brothers of the NW belong to.

It wouldn't be really that surprising if he joins the NW. 

I absolutely agree.

Davos is now Jon's man.

If he is convinced by Jon that he sould lead the NW, he will do it.

And yeah. motives are missing in season 6...

Nah, Davos is not joining the NW, considering all the backstabbing and cowardice he witnessed in the few episodes. Plus, Davos was shown outside CB with a Strak army and the Mormont in the trailer.

As for, Edd, poor him. The 1000th Lord Commander and the last.

5 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Nah, Davos is not joining the NW, considering all the backstabbing and cowardice he witnessed in the few episodes. Plus, Davos was shown outside CB with a Strak army and the Mormont in the trailer.

As for, Edd, poor him. The 1000th Lord Commander and the last.

999th.

No idea regarding Edd,  but I agree with the others:  Davos is almost certainly going to follow Jon and Sansa. The bigger surprise?  Melisandre likely will,  too,  meaning that once again,  Davos and Melisandre will find themselves as adversaries playing for the same team.  

Being fond of Edd as I am, I do think he will do his best as Lord Commander but I too expect the wall to fall.   Davos taking the black?  No.  It looks like Davos plans to move his loyalties from Stannis to Jon and I think Davos could be very helpful to Jon.

5 minutes ago, bb1180 said:

No idea regarding Edd,  but I agree with the others:  Davos is almost certainly going to follow Jon and Sansa. The bigger surprise?  Melisandre likely will,  too,  meaning that once again,  Davos and Melisandre will find themselves as adversaries playing for the same team.  

Why is Mel a surprise to follow Jon? What would be her motivation to stay at the wall compared to following the person who was brought back by R'hllor?

Just now, Charlie Hustle said:

Why is Mel a surprise to follow Jon? What would be her motivation to stay at the wall compared to following the person who was brought back by R'hllor?

It seems like there are a lot of people who think Melisandre existed only to resurrect Jon and,  now that its happened,  she can be discarded in one way or another.  

Ya, I don't see anyway that Davos joins the NW, from the trailers it looks like he will be rallying northern houses for Jon's cause. As for Edd, I don't think we will see the election, it will just be assumed, but like others, I think the Wall falls at the end of the season, so his command will be short lived. I hope he is able to survive it and make his way back to Jon.

To be fair, there are like, what, 50 men still left in the NW? Edd must be among the most qualified.

I did chuckle a little at the end of that scene, because Jon's going to have to turn right back around, grab some clothes and food (and Ghost), get on a horse and leave all over again. Or maybe he'll just head out on foot, too embarrassed to turn around, and die.

On 5/11/2016 at 4:24 PM, bb1180 said:

Especially after Davos finally finds out the circumstances surrounding Shireen's death(that scene in the trailer with him standing over a pile of wood).

Archived