Varys: "Birds I always trust" (book spoilers)

jbob

Anyone else expecting a double cross from the little birds in the end? Got this godfather like idea of how Varys actions in the book can go down in the show.

Varys writes a letter, gives it to a kid, and then in a montage follow the kid of letter as it exchanges hands from one child to the other. Finally, ending with one of the little birds in King's Landing. Then a montage of the little birds coming out of the walls and hiding places and execute numerous people.

Qyburn will command the little birds to kill Kevan for Cersei. Varys won't be involved because he isn't supporting Aegon, he's supporting Dany.

The show has no subterfuge, everything is what it appears on the surface, or a shocking unforeshadowing 180 reverse twist, they don't do subtle layered foreshadowing.

With Qyburn dabbling in necromancy, surely he knows that the way to entice little birds is by putting something else in the candy, something even more addictive and controlling, adding even more sugar? With them saying when will Varys return, and with them also talking to the High Sparrow as well, aren't they after a mentor. Or is Varys, Dracula? I didn't think that hypnotic suggestion or his special brand of mind control spans over the continents providing them with a better brand of his personalized sweets, if her ships are burnt and war looms in Sothoryos? Although he gets the birds singing everywhere, who knows, what Dracula is fully capable of? Although I thought that sugar causes ADT? If those kids are junkies, aren't triple agents becoming just slightly forgetful of them?

Can anybody tell me from the book, who was the person Arya saw talking with Varys after the dark dragon room in book 1. When she was training with her water dancing by catching cats, but had to run away from the guards?

I don't know, those kids were pretty convincing actors if they were putting up a show for Qyburn.

Plus he gave them candy! Kids just don't betray the candy-giving person (source: my mom constantly had to rescue me from being kidnapped by candy-giving strangers in white vans when I was a kid. I was very trusting.)

5 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Qyburn will command the little birds to kill Kevan for Cersei. Varys won't be involved because he isn't supporting Aegon, he's supporting Dany.

The show has no subterfuge, everything is what it appears on the surface, or a shocking unforeshadowing 180 reverse twist, they don't do subtle layered foreshadowing.

I thought the cut from "I trust my little birds" to the little birds was pretty unsubtle.

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

That's what I think, that was my immediate thought about the whole situation.

At first I believed that Varys had no motivation to destabilise the realm because there was no fAegon, but then I realised he might want to do so to pave the way for Dany's invasion.

Then I realised that the show version of Varys is too much a paragon of virtue now to want to fuck the realm over that way and also Dany's not likely to actually get to Westeros in a timely enough fashion for Kevan's death and the fallout to effect her anyway. They seem to be whitewashing Varys in the same away they've done with Tyrion. I was sure for the longest time that his 'for the good of the realm' thing was bullshit and gradually it's dawned on me that no, that's just his character on the show.

20 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I think this is a bit overblown. Yeah I am frustrated about eliminating a lot of the story elements, too, but some of the subtleties that a reader can accept played out over a couple hundred pages in a book will come off as cheesy on TV. In the book you're given the narrative perspective of many of the characters, in the show you are watching 3rd person. 

26 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Pycelle for sure, but would non book readers care if Kevan dies?  Do they even know who he is?

I don't think viewers would need to care for Kevan. It would just be plot - Cersei regaining the power and control in KL that she once had.

The little birds don't need to be loyal to Varys. As long as the doubt exists, they can kill Kevan and Pycelle under Qyburn's orders (Cersei's orders, really) and the viewer will still be left thinking that maybe Cersei trusts so much in her status as a Lannister and the king's mother that she's blind to the fact that she's a pawn, not a player. IMO going from Varys to Qyburn in this episode served that purpose very well. Now if the writers had that in mind is a whole other thing.

On 11/05/2016 at 0:30 AM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Illyrio

Thank you for the answer.  How would the lord of cheese have made it down into those dark passages? At that point Varys hmm? Yes the pieces where crumbling from Jon Arryn. Dany was auctioned for Viserys assumed use of the Dothraki, but the poison sea was barely an option then. Varys was seemingly loyal to the realm by using Jorah, and wasn't Varys other plans Aegon?

Illyrio is the best possible answer without misdirected assumptions?

On 5/11/2016 at 9:01 PM, jbob said:

Anyone else expecting a double cross from the little birds in the end?

First thing I thought of. If you think that Varys only had to give the kids a few sweets and make their mommy's bad boyfriends behave, Littlefinger could have easily stole them ages ago.

Archived