Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

Given Abbott said if we don't support him being headbutted* we should vote no I guess it's fair to say that if you're not ok with Nazi's and grown men assaulting teenage girls you should vote yes.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/vote-no-to-fags-outbreak-of-homophobic-violence-vandalism-in-samesex-marriage-campaign-20170925-gyo9ri.html

Obviously, you should also vote yes if you're actually pretty ok with Abbott getting a split lip.

Political violence from both sides seems to have got a lot of press but it doesn't diminish the value of voting yes but hey, fascists have gotta fascist.

I see UNSW is asking maths students not to refer to Halls Marriage Theorem in assignments unless they leave out the term 'Marriage'. Its too offensive apparently. Its good to see universities preparing people for the real world.

Really? Both sidesing this are we? Because I saw wall to wall coverage of Abbott getting headbutted some some drunk dickhead in Hobart then lying about it to try smear the Yes campaign, with little critical coverage of the lie once it was revealed (and much that continued to perpetuate his narrative). I've seen Channel 9 talking about the suicide in custody of a man who set his van on fire at the ACL building over a year ago in a way clearly designed to imply connection to the Yes campaign. I've seen, in an article linked by you no less, the SMH include an unverified claim of violence by the christian organisation on Sydney Uni campus without any corroboration by the police who attended the scene, or University security who were also there - I also haven't received any correspondence from the Uni which would indicate a violent altercation broke out. Oh but I saw people spreading photos of the Cronulla riots and trying to claim those were the counter protests at Sydney Uni. That really makes it look more credible. What other examples of heinous violences do you have from the Yes campaign?

On the flip side we have Rudd's godson being assaulted in Brisbane, explicitly over the postal survey by someone spouting homophobic speech - IIRC they have been arrested and charges are being pressed. Didn't receive even a tenth of the coverage the Abbott headbutt did nor any condemnation by the No campaign, even though the Yes campaign was expected to fall over ourselves denouncing the violence against Abbott. A trans teenager in Hobart yesterday was strangled in a mall by a man, again spouting homophobic hate speech, again arrested and charged. The connection to the postal survey has been confirmed by Tasmanian Police, rather than a certain former PM known for his loose relationship with the truth, yet shockingly this act of severe violence against a teenager again gets very little outrage from the same media that were very very concerned about the former PM getting a 'slightly swollen lip'. A bunch of houses in Brisbane with rainbow flags have swastikas spray painted on them, yet crickets. Another house has a man screaming homophobic slurs then throwing rocks through the windows in the middle of the night. No condemnation of the No campaign, no expectation that the actions of a few reflect on them all, no mass coverage. A Sydney train turns up with homophobic hate speech and swastikas covering the inside.

Yet the dominant thing in the media since the Abbott thing seems to be how awful the Yes campaign is for sending a polite, non-pushy SMS message.

So please, fucking tell me again how both sides are being awful. I'm dying to know how this survey we didn't want, that we begged not to have, that we warned would stir up hatred in the community, which has now stirred up hatred and violence in the community that we will be feeling for years, is a sign that we're all just being too fucking unreasonable and violent ourselves. I mean, if the country decides you don't deserve civil rights, its your own fault gays. You should have grovelled more. How dare you actually campaign in this campaign we forced on you. Meanwhile we're just going to ignore the literal neo nazis that we're empowering, because that's cool.

ETA: And thanks. So fucking much. I almost didn't post because I knew you'd show up to fucking twist the thread with your bullshit again, but I wanted to check in on a friend who had already articulated they were struggling. But I took the risk and hoped on your humanity that you'd fucking stay out of it and let us look after each other. It was foolish of me.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

It was foolish of me.

Agreed. If it helps, when I post something, regardless of the content, let's agree to assume your vehement disagreement, some swearing and examples of violence on both sides. Unless you enjoy swearing at the computer, I don't mind.

I mind unsubstantiated claims of comparable violence being allowed to stand unopposed lest lurkers reading this thread in ignorance of the situation think those claims are representative of the truth.

So now St Bernardi is going to send out a blast of 1 million recorded messages via the phone urging the no vote.

After the text message reaction (which was in and of itself totally over the top and hilarious) he must have been drinking milk of the fucknut if he thinks this a good idea.

Tim Wilson reckons it's just a screen for soliciting donations and recruitment. He hastily deleted the tweet but it's pretty clear that was his genuine thought. The robocall has keypad interaction so at the very least it's polling as well.

Haha I'd have been happy to get a text! I'm OK overall, I think I've moved into the "numb" phase now. I mean, seriously, Katter and Pauline and Tony are annoyed with...Macklemore? You couldn't make this shit up.

At least the PM and (of late, my knight in shining armour) Brandis piped up against TA.

Australian politics is so deeply stupid atm

I'm finding uni the hardest atm, there is always someone talking about it and hearing teenagers laughing and being all 'no homo' while knowing they get to vote on my life is really hard to take.

Aussies,

Our friend and knighted colleague gryphon strike (who has not been able to access his account here for a year or two) has asked me to let you all know that he is going for a heart bypass tomorrow. He can read the site of course, so let's get around him hey?

Stubs.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Aussies,

Our friend and knighted colleague gryphon strike (who has not been able to access his account here for a year or two) has asked me to let you all know that he is going for a heart bypass tomorrow. He can read the site of course, so let's get around him hey?

Stubs.

I don't post much anymore, but do lurk. Best of luck Gryphon old mate. I hope it all goes well. 

Archived