The monkeys growing?

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I got mixed thoughts about this. If I think I got a frekking monkey on my back I'm not very happy. If I have a monkey on my back I want the little shite gone.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/212603.html

Personally I don't think Martin's remark about the growing monkey is a positive thang.

I think it is : he says "and one day..." which sounds more hopeful than pessimistic imo.

8 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I think it is : he says "and one day..." which sounds more hopeful than pessimistic imo.

one day, eventually, the son of Kong will meet its publisher. Then the grandson of Kong will need to be fed so it can grow.

57 minutes ago, ebevan91 said:

Since people were told not to ask about TWoW at that event, then someone should've asked about ADoS instead just to troll.

I wouldn't keep your money on the table of ADoS. Don't anticipate it. That's somehing that's is YEARS off. If it's the last book, closing the entire thing, it's going to be very big and he will take his longest with that one. He'll probably retire after that book lol

6 minutes ago, Entrisen said:

I wouldn't keep your money on the table of ADoS. Don't anticipate it. That's somehing that's is YEARS off. If it's the last book, closing the entire thing, it's going to be very big and he will take his longest with that one. He'll probably retire after that book lol

Didn't he say he wanted to write more adventure for Dunk and Egg? Not to mention an even longer version of The World of Ice and Fire, called Fire and Blood?

56 minutes ago, sifth said:

Didn't he say he wanted to write more adventure for Dunk and Egg? Not to mention an even longer version of The World of Ice and Fire, called Fire and Blood?

Well he's mentioned it but I don't think it was a promise that he'd get them out. More like he plans to but we'll see what happens when the time comes. As for the bigger world of ice and fire, which I remember him referring to it as the "Grrmileon" or something along those lines, he said he planned it but honesty i didn't take it seriously. I don't see that book ever seeing the light of day. And frankly I think it was a mistake for him to mention it as people take things like that to heart 

I'm actually surprised he hasn't announced that Winds is done by this point. He thought he could get the book done before the end of 2015 when his birthday rolled around in September, and now he's had six entire months of the new year to work on it and he isn't done. He's been going out a lot more recently, though, so that probably has something to do with it.

11 minutes ago, AlienCarnivore said:

I'm actually surprised he hasn't announced that Winds is done by this point. He thought he could get the book done before the end of 2015 when his birthday rolled around in September, and now he's had six entire months of the new year to work on it and he isn't done. He's been going out a lot more recently, though, so that probably has something to do with it.

Well remember, around January this year he said he discovered a big twist in the story that the show couldn't pull off because they killed that character. So he is probably Re writing a lot, and the fact that season 6 showed a lot of huge moments he's been building up to, he's probably feeling down about that and is again doing a bunch of Re writing. I think he feels insecure about the show and thinks that the show does some things better than he does. So he now feels more pressure than ever with his new book. 

On 6/30/2016 at 5:26 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Not to be the "Braggiest Leech" again, but, when I was at the kaffeklatch with him last month (a small group of eight w/George), we were told ahead of time NOT to ask about Winds. Same at the donation dinner a few nights before. He had one of his assistants come around ahead of time and gave us a few guidelines and then said to NOT ask about Winds. Even after being told all weekend to NOT ask about WInds, at that kaffeklatch, toward the end a woman thought she was being funny and frickin' asked when the book would be out. George was controlled, but visibly irritated someone asked that question and out meeting was ended very soon after. I was pissed!

Didn't those people have to pay thousands of dollars to be there with him? You spent thousands of dollars just to be near George?

It's an odd question but how many of us would rather have Tvthrones not exist at all and have Winds already, or at least a date given roundabout or all "this"? Makes you wonder how much time was given over to the "twist" rewrite. 

Just now, AlienCarnivore said:

Didn't those people have to pay thousands of dollars to be there with him? You spent thousands of dollars just to be near George?

No. I made a donation to the Baltimore SciFi Society because I live near there and believe in the amazing year round work these weirdos do. The money went to bring back as many past guest of honors as possible for the 50 year celebration (this year). The "reward" was to have dinner with George. 

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

No. I made a donation to the Baltimore SciFi Society because I live near there and believe in the amazing year round work these weirdos do. The money went to bring back as many past guest of honors as possible for the 50 year celebration (this year). The "reward" was to have dinner with George. 

Ooooooh. I'm jealous. I think I would've just kept my mouth shut as to not say anything stupid in front of one of my favorite authors.

Just now, AlienCarnivore said:

Ooooooh. I'm jealous. I think I would've just kept my mouth shut as to not say anything stupid in front of one of my favorite authors.

I thought I was going to be nervous, but I wasn't. George was crazy nice. Even when I asked him about my weird theories and other questions from the forum here. 

7 hours ago, Entrisen said:

Well remember, around January this year he said he discovered a big twist in the story that the show couldn't pull off because they killed that character. So he is probably Re writing a lot, and the fact that season 6 showed a lot of huge moments he's been building up to, he's probably feeling down about that and is again doing a bunch of Re writing. I think he feels insecure about the show and thinks that the show does some things better than he does. So he now feels more pressure than ever with his new book. 

Nope. He first talked publicly about the twist last year before s 5 started. And what do you mean when you say s 6 "showed a lot of huge moments"? I also think it's extremely unlikely that Martin would think the show did anything better.

The show is enjoyable,but I view it as fan fiction now that they are ahead of the books.I cannot see anything they do better than the books,and I hope GRRM doesn`t kill off as many direwolves in the REAL story.The reveals this season,except Hodor,were all pretty obvious and discussed on this forum for years.I am hoping for TWOW to be released by this fall,but am not optimistic.

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Nope. He first talked publicly about the twist last year before s 5 started. And what do you mean when you say s 6 "showed a lot of huge moments"? I also think it's extremely unlikely that Martin would think the show did anything better.

Oh come on People. Why do you allways have to bring the TV Show on the discussion. The topic has nothing to do whether the TV Show is ebetter, equal or worse than the books. It doesn't affect the books at all. No matter what the discussion is, ten posts later you have the "OMG HBO sucks, D&D are assholes, the books are better...bla bla bla". Just a Tipp: JUST DON'T WATCH THE FUCKING SHOW. And stop posting everywhere how much you hate a Show that you wach it like 10 Times. This topic is about GRRM writing process. And the process sucks. 

1 hour ago, shifter said:

The show is enjoyable,but I view it as fan fiction now that they are ahead of the books.I cannot see anything they do better than the books,and I hope GRRM doesn`t kill off as many direwolves in the REAL story.The reveals this season,except Hodor,were all pretty obvious and discussed on this forum for years.I am hoping for TWOW to be released by this fall,but am not optimistic.

There ist at least one thing the show does better. We see an older Arya, who is at the very least 2 years too young in the Mercy chapter. I think GRRM is still looking for a solution, how to cover 2 or 3 years with TWOW.

1 hour ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

There ist at least one thing the show does better. We see an older Arya, who is at the very least 2 years too young in the Mercy chapter. I think GRRM is still looking for a solution, how to cover 2 or 3 years with TWOW.

What do you mean by her being too young?

3 hours ago, Missandei M said:

What do you mean by her being too young?

Id like to know that too. How is she too young? Yeah all the characters are younger in the books. Even ned and cat who are in their late 20's - mid 30's in the book. He's not trying to catch up to the show with ages. And in the mercy chapter arya is not too young. He'll probably do a small time skip between TWoW and ADoS but that's only to forward the story a bit 

Considering all the released content was stuff he left out of dance and has barely hinted at new content, I'm wondering if he's mentally close to just giving up.  I'm honestly at the point where I don't expect him to finish the series and would be surprised if he actually completed "winds"

i can't imagine how tough it is to be working on a book and watching a TV crew turn his unfinished work into fan fiction and become more popular than his books.  Mentally how do you continue when a show stole your thunder?  He still has loyal book readers that don't care but that has to be a huge blow to moral

im also with the previous folks that said Martin doesn't care about his fans.  His demeanor at appearances has always come across as "here I am, worship me!".  I believe he at least owes his fans progress updates

you'd figure he'd at least consider releasing a smaller book since his are usually long to begin with but I honestly think he hasn't made much progress since 2011

Archived