The monkeys growing?

Just now, JonisHenryTudor said:

Unless Martin is trying to throw things out there for fun, I can't imagine blabbing his mouth about that as if it were good news. Especially since he knows that would anger many fans. 

Weeeellll, maybe he was talking about his Wild Cards editors.

Mmmm, me neither.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Weeeellll, maybe he was talking about his Wild Cards editors.

Mmmm, me neither.

It is possible that he made the statement within his inner circle and someone decided to post that. Or it could be for the publication of something entirely different (WC as you say). 

I will just say this. If George intended a 5 year gap after Storm, he did all this to himself. It would have been easy enough I think to do it, you need a civil war in Dorne, maybe Aegon shows up and only the Yronwoods (sp?) or whoever want to support him, and Arianne goes with them, while Doran holes up waiting for Quentyn to show up, and upon learning that he was killed by a dragon has a heart attack or something.

As for Brienne, just have her be way more fucking subtle and be hanging out with Sansa in the Vale, or better yet, and I like Brienne, have Jaime learn about her fate when she followed a trail re Arya to Braavos but got killed in the street for running around with her sword on.

He's the one that left the fruit dangling which was the wrong thing to do when writing novels and you have a plan for later. Plenty of series have had a trilogy, then a gap for another trilogy, too many to mention, and they were fine.

In Game we learned a lot about the world, and more was revealed over the next two books, about Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoys, heck that second one got maybe 1 page of material on it and we already feel like we know the story.

I am not saying I would have favoured a gap, only that I think Geoge could easily have done it if maybe he had wrapped things up a little tighter after Storm. It's his fault if he wrote himself out of his plan. I guess he forgot you don't need to explain everything.

I've made my peace with Feast and Dance, knowing which chapters I enjoy reading and the ability to just skip whole sections is handy with digital, but, are any of you computer gamers? The games coming out now are soooo good, and so many on the horizon, and the games are huge. I will buy Winds when it comes out, but the only times I ever wonder about it are when I am bored at work.

8 hours ago, Annarkie said:

From today's Not a Blog: " New York City was mostly business, as it usually is: meetings with my agents, publishers, editors, and of course HBO.

I'm not holding my breath. GRRM usually meets with his publishers and editors once or twice a year.

I don't know, I think some of you are suffering from a little wishful thinking.  The bigger a monkey is, the harder it is to get off your back.  I see that as him saying he has run into problems and to chill the hell out.

I find it amusing that people are seriously discussing about the monkey on his back but anything that keeps the frustration ( waiting for the next book :| ) at bay is good. 

So in his recent Livejournal entry, there was comment asking, "why is there no monkey on your back? "  

GRRM replied" because its invisible." http://grrm.livejournal.com/490176.html?thread=24624320#t24624320

So does that mean the WOW is done and has been submitted for editing? Of course one can dream but he also stated that " he meets his publishers whenever they are in town."

If that doesn't make any sense try imagining this: What if he is stuck with the story line not knowing how to proceed and is taking a few months break from the WOW? Is this the hidden meaning behind invisible monkey?

Before you people start assuming let me also say, he has commented in his past posts that he will keep getting ideas till his last breath.

Will we see the WOW getting released this year? Go Figure!

P.S: I find it sweet that he answers fans questions without being irked. Example some guy even dared to ask whether there would be a POV on Belwas and GRRM instead of ignoring his question answered, " Come on.Get real."

On 13-6-2016 at 4:54 AM, Annarkie said:

From today's Not a Blog: " New York City was mostly business, as it usually is: meetings with my agents, publishers, editors, and of course HBO.

Maybe the Reddit comment is true and he really did get a 6 month extension. Not that unlikely.

An extension from what though, would be the next question, as he has already said he has given up deadlines now.

Regardless, without the ability to link the Reddit comment definitively to George, it's only gossip.

Rule #1 of Book-Waiting: do not take a casual, off-the-cuff quip of George's and try to analyse and work out his writing time, methodology and state of play from there. That way leads only to madness and disappointment.

On 31/05/2016 at 9:21 PM, Calibandar said:

Not sure why you're belaboring a blatantly wrong point. You were the one who brought up Kay in a previous discussion as someone who writes at George's pace but who doesn't take as much flack for being slow. He doesn't write at George's pace, he is *noticablymore productive than George. To point:

Kay wrote River of Stars, which is 640 pages in hardback, and Children of Earth and Sky, which is 590 pages in hardback, in the time since Dance with Dragons has been published. Together that is 1230 pages.

Even a Dance with Dragons is "only" 950 pages, and Winds is expected to be the same size as Dance and Storm of Swords. Maybe it'll be a bit shorter even, maybe a bit longer, but in any case, about that size. So that is nearly 300 pages less if you compare what Winds will be, to Kay's two releases. And if you then take into account that Kay had to write two completely different novels with brand new characters in different settings, well, that only increases the difference between the two.

Ergo, not someone George should be compared to favourably when discussing progress/ speed of writing amongst top fantasy authors of today. Rothfuss might have been a better example.

Word count - the actual length of the novel - has very little to do with page count. I've seen 320,000-350,000 word novels squeezed into 800 pages in paperback (ACoK's UK edition, which reads like an opitician's chart) or stretched out to nearly 1300 pages (Peter F. Hamilton) when they're *exactly* the same length. You can even see that in ASoIaF, where almost every edition of ADWD I've seen is bigger than ASoS, whilst ASoS is the (somewhat) longer novel, and I've seen versions of ACoK that are smaller than AGoT even thought ACoK is 20,000 words longer.

Kay's novels usually have pretty generous font sizes and margins, and almost consistently (well, since Tigana, I think the first trilogy was a bit shorter) clock in at between 190,000 and 220,000 words, compared to ASoS and ADWD's 420,000 words apiece.

Word count is absolutely the only game in town when working out the actual length of a book. Page counts between editions vary so much as to be almost meaningless.

Just saw GRRM vs Stephen King and George basically asks him how he managers to write this fast while he spends 6 months finishing 3 chapters and thats when he is in the zone....this doesn't sound good to me. 3 chapters since January?

On the funnier side, I just remembered the big story late last summer about upcoming book release that spread out because someone saw Brian Cogman (one of GOT writers) walking around with a big manuscript named The Winds of Winter. Everyone was SURE that TWOW was done and GOT writers got their preview from GRRM first draft, and when they started swearing up and down that it wasn't the book but of course nobody believed them, because Jon Snow is really really dead! LOL

Just saw that the season finale of season 6 is called TWOW and they were actually carrying around script for that episode not book manuscript...

It's simple enough: George does not put pen to paper often enough, or fingers to keyboard, and spends too much time away from home.

We all know it.

And no matter how people say "no writer ever owes us another story"... he's still a terminal procrastinator.

I agree. I think GRRM is a very nice person, but when it comes to his work effort he seems to get very easily side tracked. At this rate I don't see us getting the WoW any time soon.

Masha,

Unfortunately George's response to queries about that remark he made is that the internet is full of idiots -- it was hyperbole, an exaggeration for effect.

Archived