The monkeys growing?

5 hours ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

She's 12 now and while the seduction and the killing here worked because her victim was a pedo, this can hardly be the case with all her future hits. For being a female badass assassin it takes the ability to seduce men, to make bitchmoves and everything that goes with it. My point is, that these things don't work with a child or would come over very queer. Another possible arc is her connection with the BWB. She should take over from LSH sooner or later. This would require a certain age to be taken seriously.

I didn't mean to say, introduce the 5 year now. I believe TWOW takes so long because he maybe wants to cover more time than in the other books, and that it is difficult to keep the plots synchronous and nevertheless finished with 1000 pages

Half of the Kings Landing's court was drooling over Sansa when she was 12, and some, like Pedofinger, started even earlier. Dany was sexualized at 13. Arya was asked about showing her 'mussel' when she was selling seafood, and her Mercy chapter includes not only Sweetling's seduction, but also considering susking Izembaro's dick. As disturbing as it may seem to the modern readers, in this universe they are fair game now, not only for pedos.

12 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

Half of the Kings Landing's court was drooling over Sansa when she was 12, and some, like Pedofinger, started even earlier. Dany was sexualized at 13. Arya was asked about showing her 'mussel' when she was selling seafood, and her Mercy chapter includes not only Sweetling's seduction, but also considering susking Izembaro's dick. As disturbing as it may seem to the modern readers, in this universe they are fair game now, not only for pedos.

I never got the impression Raff was pedo, just not as picky as his partner.  If he was pedo, he would probably have noticed, and even targeted her at Harrenhal.  He had ample opportunity.

I doubt that she will become an assassin in any case.  She has received no useful training for it.  She can run the BWB at 12.  I think Edric Dayne is running part of it at that age.

It's hard to know how much progress he's making overall, since he doesn't give status updates on the book. The one thing he did say though was that hundreds of pages have been written. It seems like he'd save himself a lot of trouble if he'd put a progress percentage bar up on his blog or website. It would stop the fake reports from click-bait websites and people asking him about it. 

It'll probably take him 7 years at minimum from when TWOW is released to finish the last book. The real tragedy in all of this is that we may never know what GRRM could have written after this series is completed. He writes characters  and dives into what motivates them very well. 

54 minutes ago, PCK said:

It's hard to know how much progress he's making overall, since he doesn't give status updates on the book. The one thing he did say though was that hundreds of pages have been written. It seems like he'd save himself a lot of trouble if he'd put a progress percentage bar up on his blog or website. It would stop the fake reports from click-bait websites and people asking him about it. 

It'll probably take him 7 years at minimum from when TWOW is released to finish the last book. The real tragedy in all of this is that we may never know what GRRM could have written after this series is completed. He writes characters  and dives into what motivates them very well. 

I don't know, after he sort of lashed out at me for asking, I really don't want to know his progress. I think he is a long way off from being done, more so than people might think. And he feels bad about it and embarrassed. So if there was a progress report at this very moment and it was barely at the half way point, you better bet he'd get more angry fans than he has now. I'm not an angry fan, I just hope he doesn't let the pressure ruin his story for him. I think he hates the book now. He is grateful for the money and experiences but hates the book. 

1 hour ago, Entrisen said:

I don't know, after he sort of lashed out at me for asking, I really don't want to know his progress. I think he is a long way off from being done, more so than people might think. And he feels bad about it and embarrassed. So if there was a progress report at this very moment and it was barely at the half way point, you better bet he'd get more angry fans than he has now. I'm not an angry fan, I just hope he doesn't let the pressure ruin his story for him. I think he hates the book now. He is grateful for the money and experiences but hates the book. 

Wont the story already be ruined though, the HBO series is going to spoil the ending, almost a decade before he gets to it. Don't get me wrong stuff for the Dornish characters and the Iron Born will be different, but the major characters like Jon, Dany, the Stark children, Davos, Jamie and Tyrion, will all be spoiled for us, long before his final book comes out. Part of me feels back for the guy, but another part makes me think he has no one else to blame, but himself. He wanted the tv show to happen and he told D&D the ending, knowing full well that he might not have the final book out. From the way things look WoW wont even be out by the time the shows finished.

21 hours ago, Masha said:

It concerns me that he started putting some appearances back on. Originally, I believe he had his appearances in august and perhaps December  (not sure), but definitely November appearance at Tuscon was recently added. (That one wasn't the one he committed a long time ago otherwise it would have been on appearances calendar before)

Either he is giving up on finishing this book anytime soon and reneging on his promises to clear out his schedule for TWOW and so decided to get his trips back on or he expects to be done by November so he feels free to start adding back on his appearances. But I fear it may be a false hope.

But his snap on that comment asking about TWOW at the Con concerns me, if he was coming close to finishing the book, he probably would have answered something with a wink, but his curt retort actually shows that he is nowhere near done and doesn't think he will be near done by August either.

I agree w/this.  I've learned my lesson w/GRRM and optimism, so my guess is, that he felt he was over pressured with the previous deadlines, and is now giving himself 'breathing room' ahem, and that he has given up on finishing the book any time soon.  It seems like if he had a strong sense it would be out by this winter, he'd be showing signs, which he isn't.

I also think it's a very good point that all the chapters he reads from Winds were almost certainly done years ago.

9 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

obviously you know your going to have a hảd time not beibeing spoiled. ìf your 100 pêrcent serious about not being spoiled. the internet, especially this site should be avoided at all times ỏr íts only a matter òf time.

perhaps you should read this

as I said I only come to this forum (and this thread actually, whose purpose is to talk about BOOK RELEASE), I never check the show forums or any others. Now let's get back to the subject at hand.

IMO he should just ditch the 1000 page book format and 7 volumes plan and release as many 150-300 pages books as needed to finish the story, released as soon he finish one to avoid the temptation to go back and endlessly rewrite same chapters, while showing his fans actual progress and giving himself an achievement feeling instead of a failure one. Had he done so instead of just botching deadlines he likely would have avoided to have most important early Twow events (some having likely been written even before ADWD release) spoiled by the show... And it wouldn't have forbidden him to rewrite some parts once the serie is finished and publish a second more perfect version one day.

I was so optimistic he was close and would announce a release date before Season 6 ended. But now that he's going out a lot more than he did at the beginning of the year, it either means he's confident he can finish it soon or he feels like he needs distractions so he doesn't get too depressed about the fact that he's not going to have the book done soon. It's already half way through the new year! I do feel bad for the guy, but come on, George, we've waited long enough. 

When does he have time to write?

Imagine you are writing a book with (exaggeration coming) 1000 characters, 30 plot lines, and details, details and more details to keep track of.

The only way I see this next book ever being finished is that Martin takes a sabbatical, a leave of absence from his business and submerges himself into his ASOIAF story again. I don’t see that happening.

36 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Imagine you are writing a book with (exaggeration coming) 1000 characters, 30 plot lines, and details, details and more details to keep track of.

The only way I see this next book ever being finished is that Martin takes a sabbatical, a leave of absence from his business and submerges himself into his ASOIAF story again. I don’t see that happening.

There are other authors who manage writing books in an apropriate time too. GRRM didn't invent complex and long Storytelling. One can argue to death, but the sad answer is: there is no excuse for his lag. Its unfair to us fans who has supported him for years, long before he got famous. Now he does not even answer our questions and deletes or forbid them from his blog. Its, at best, unproffesional. He may be a great author (which he undoubtly is), but as a person he has lost all his credibilities for me. 

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

That's what he supposedly did last year....when he announced he wasn't writing for the show any more, or visiting the set and he claimed he had severely cut back his schedule of travel....and still he missed the deadlines he set for himself.  

I know people do not like to hear this, but I don't believe his heart is in it anymore, and he allowed things to spin out of control with so many many new characters and not having much of anything more foward in the last, ahem 10 years/2 books, and now there is the added horrific pressure of the show and how the show's interpretation/mangling/omission/inclusion of various elements affects his own outlook.  It's a mess.

Based on his schedule and his statements and lack of statements I'd say it will be a miracle if Winds is out by Q1 next year, I would put the odds at less than 50/50.  I don't see him getting the book out this year at all now, with nothing said that sounds remotely opitmistic.

32 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That's what he supposedly did last year....when he announced he wasn't writing for the show any more, or visiting the set and he claimed he had severely cut back his schedule of travel....and still he missed the deadlines he set for himself.  

I know people do not like to hear this, but I don't believe his heart is in it anymore, and he allowed things to spin out of control with so many many new characters and not having much of anything more foward in the last, ahem 10 years/2 books, and now there is the added horrific pressure of the show and how the show's interpretation/mangling/omission/inclusion of various elements affects his own outlook.  It's a mess.

Based on his schedule and his statements and lack of statements I'd say it will be a miracle if Winds is out by Q1 next year, I would put the odds at less than 50/50.  I don't see him getting the book out this year at all now, with nothing said that sounds remotely opitmistic.

I'm starting to get the impression slowly that he's giving up. And hasn't written much of the book at all. Much that is already written has been done for years, and he doesn't like where it's going, so he doesn't know how to go forward. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he simply came out and said the book won't be released and ends the story with a few pages of epilogue instead. Dunno. If he wasn't so fussy and butt hurt over the very mention or hint of the book or even the series at all at this point then I would feel differently. But he seems to despise his fans of the series and seems to really get off about people talking about his books pre ASOIAF 

1 hour ago, Entrisen said:

I'm starting to get the impression slowly that he's giving up. And hasn't written much of the book at all. Much that is already written has been done for years, and he doesn't like where it's going, so he doesn't know how to go forward. I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he simply came out and said the book won't be released and ends the story with a few pages of epilogue instead. Dunno. If he wasn't so fussy and butt hurt over the very mention or hint of the book or even the series at all at this point then I would feel differently. But he seems to despise his fans of the series and seems to really get off about people talking about his books pre ASOIAF 

The fact that he said he would instruct his assistants to burn his notes if he died to prevent anyone from finishing his story without him was very telling for me.  He doesn't seem to care much about the fans aside from the attention he gets from us

i would feel so much better if we got a progress update or a chapter that wasn't already completed before 2012

16 minutes ago, LS1Transam said:

The fact that he said he would instruct his assistants to burn his notes if he died to prevent anyone from finishing his story without him was very telling for me.  He doesn't seem to care much about the fans aside from the attention he gets from us

i would feel so much better if we got a progress update or a chapter that wasn't already completed before 2012

I don't know. Look at me complaining. My tune will change when he Ever does get around to finishing the book. But right now I'm just disappointed. This, plus the fact that my favorite game series EVER will not release the next game until I'm 34 years old. That's insane to me. So for all my favorite  entertainment things to be delayed indefinitely, I feel like a bum waiting around. All I know is the book will be great when It comes out. I read books very fast so I guess the anticipation is half the fun... I guess 

Progress reports are pointless.  His history of updates and expectations has been years off.  He "thinks" he will make ZYZX progress, but he doesn't.  He seems to have a hard time gauging things, and admitting when things are bogged down and why.  The "Meereen knot" was always a smokescreen for something else, IMO, ...loss of interest, inability to thread the needles he created, or maybe he even doesn't like the ending anymore, and now on top of that all the pressure from the show and how their artistic decisions reflect or do not his artistic vision.

But, GRRM is his own worst enemy.  And he has paid a high price for it.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Progress reports are pointless.  His history of updates and expectations has been years off.  He "thinks" he will make ZYZX progress, but he doesn't.  He seems to have a hard time gauging things, and admitting when things are bogged down and why.  The "Meereen knot" was always a smokescreen for something else, IMO, ...loss of interest, inability to thread the needles he created, or maybe he even doesn't like the ending anymore, and now on top of that all the pressure from the show and how their artistic decisions reflect or do not his artistic vision.

But, GRRM is his own worst enemy.  And he has paid a high price for it.

He also gets paid millions I'm sure he doesn't complain too much 

7 hours ago, Entrisen said:

He also gets paid millions I'm sure he doesn't complain too much 

Totally agree. I never heard him complain. He seems very pleased in every interview or place he atends. It's only those book-purists who claims that he is angry about the Show. And I don't blame them. I can totally understand them. They search for a reason, they don't want to lose the belief about their favourite author. I was the same until last year. It is kind of like the five paths of loss: first there is denial, anger, bargaing, depression and acceptance. I am at acceptance right now :).  

On 3.7.2016 at 8:10 AM, Masha said:

It concerns me that he started putting some appearances back on. Originally, I believe he had his appearances in august and perhaps December  (not sure), but definitely November appearance at Tuscon was recently added. (That one wasn't the one he committed a long time ago otherwise it would have been on appearances calendar before)

Either he is giving up on finishing this book anytime soon and reneging on his promises to clear out his schedule for TWOW and so decided to get his trips back on or he expects to be done by November so he feels free to start adding back on his appearances. But I fear it may be a false hope.

But his snap on that comment asking about TWOW at the Con concerns me, if he was coming close to finishing the book, he probably would have answered something with a wink, but his curt retort actually shows that he is nowhere near done and doesn't think he will be near done by August either.

None of those remaining appearances this year in his calendar are actually that far away from Santa Fe so travel won't be an issue unless he stays there longer. Guadalajara, Mexico is the furthest away and that is closer to Santa Fe than New York.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Progress reports are pointless.  His history of updates and expectations has been years off.  He "thinks" he will make ZYZX progress, but he doesn't.  

By progress report i just mean something like "I'm xx% done and i have no idea when i'll be able to finish".  Though speculation from outside of his hardcore readers would go wild, but i think most of us who were fans of his from before the show would just be happy knowing where he stands right now.  

I can certainly understand why he wouldnt want to do this, but I just wish he'd do it as a show of respect for his long time fans.

Archived