Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

This is disappointingly flat from Liverpool. There's not really anything of significance riding on the game but this is likely to be the Europa League final team so it'd be nice if they'd showed some form in what's probably going to be their last league game.

2 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I believe BFC is talking about Welbeck, Mexal.

And I agree with him to a degree. I know he's had a few good games for you guys recently, but generally he averages 1 goal every 5 games, he sees the pass far too slowly, and his execution isn't brill.

The only thing he's really got going for him is his athletic ability, odd bursts of form aside. He's a useful player to have if you're playing a great side and you need to sacrifice a forward to do a job for the team, but other than that, no thanks.

yes, i was.  i see him as a centre forwards version of milner.  a decent human being, committed, and with many attributes.  but nobody is going to win a major championship with him as their centre forward, and playing him out wide is just nonsense.  

29 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

And Chef and BFC have been Newcastle fans for long enough to know the ups and downs-

Hopefully next year is a brill season of you blasting teams and coming straight back up!

downer really.  I just hope we retain rafa, some of our better players and Ashley fucks off. 

1 hour ago, MercifulChief said:

downer really.  I just hope we retain rafa, some of our better players and Ashley fucks off. 

The hardest part for me when West Ham went down was not being able to watch them. But I think the Championship is on TV here now so at least you can watch them get back to the Premier League.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

with all due respect, and he seems like a decent bloke, i don't want him within 100 miles of the 2016 squad. 

I'm not getting the negativity about Welbeck, and I say that as a Scotland fan. This is a player with 14 goals in 35 caps, including 6 in Euro 2016 qualifying, making him the top scorer. OK, his finishing needs improvement. But, assuming that Vardy, Rooney, Kane and Sturridge (if fit) were going anyway, what better player is stepping up to take Welbeck's place? Walcott? An inferior version of Welbeck with the same problems. Oxlade-Chamberlain? An inferior version of Walcott. Carroll? Berahino? Crouch? We're scraping the barrel now.

You can't tell me any of those alternatives are better than Welbeck.

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I just can't see Arsenal not buying a striker this summer even if they are spending a bit of money on Xhaka. I know it's been said that they need one pretty much every summer the last five years but I'd still be shocked if they didn't buy one this year. 

This has also been said pretty much every summer for the last five years.

If we can tie up Xhaka that would be nice, but it would be entirely in keeping with Wenger's MO of buying lots of midfielders and not much in the way of defenders or strikers. I hope this Xhaka interest is not because they're thinking of having to replace Cazorla or Ozil.

We're probably okay with defenders, although if Chambers doesn't progress to being a decent CB, we may be short there with Mertesacker getting older. Koscielny and Gabriel look a decent pairing, but Kos has had to miss a game here and there through injury.

In this transfer market I think Wenger has to move quickly, partly because he needs to reassure the big stars (Sanchez, Ozil) that he's actually going to be adding and doing something to the squad.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

I'm not getting the negativity about Welbeck, and I say that as a Scotland fan. This is a player with 14 goals in 35 caps, including 6 in Euro 2016 qualifying, making him the top scorer. OK, his finishing needs improvement. But, assuming that Vardy, Rooney, Kane and Sturridge (if fit) were going anyway, what better player is stepping up to take Welbeck's place? Walcott? An inferior version of Welbeck with the same problems. Oxlade-Chamberlain? An inferior version of Walcott. Carroll? Berahino? Crouch? We're scraping the barrel now.

You can't tell me any of those alternatives are better than Welbeck.

Not saying they're better than Welbeck, but Carroll and Crouch are different type of player than Welbeck which could offer an alternative gameplan.

And, given Rooney's form this season, I'd say he'd fit in better with "scraping the barrel" crowd. 

Realistically, though, Rooney's place is guaranteed, whatever his form.

Carroll and Crouch would offer an alternative, I suppose, but that's not necessarily a good thing. If the team is set up to play with Kane/Vardy and you want to take one of them off to rest them, bringing on Carroll requires a complete change of tactics. And I'm not sure the England team has a reliable crosser of the ball, without which the 'bring on a big man' tactic is not so much a game plan as running out of ideas.

32 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Nothing has been decided yet but we should find out quite soon. Read that talks between Benitez and Newcastle's MD are due to take place sometime next week.

Thanks. And what about Villa? Are there any rumors about new manager?

Archived