Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

In fairness to Martinez, we did play a Norwich team with a (known) leaky defence. Also, the team had already been relegated. So I wouldn't read too much into us outplaying them today.

I still think that Tom Davies may be good. Kieran Dowell looked better in the second half, when he was moved into the no. 10 role.

It was that awful game against Swansea that really reminded me that we're not quite there yet.  Our record against the traditional top clubs this season was excellent, but we've been mediocre against the rest of the league. And our record without Payet in the team is terrible. 

Hopefully our offseason recruitment is as strong this year as it was last--a few improvements could go a long way.

also: I'm always super confused by this stuff, so hopefully someone smarter and more attentive than me can answer: is west ham's only way into Europe now to rely on Man Utd to win the FA cup?

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Looks like it. So the smart money is still on West Ham playing the EL qualifiers.

Let's hope they go further than last year.  City and Liverpool helped to improve the PL's UEFA coefficient this season and keep four CL places for a while longer, but we need to not have a drag from teams getting knocked out in qualifiers.  

1 hour ago, Nasrudin's True Love said:

I suppose I really ought to wish our resident Arsenal fans a Happy St Totteringham's Day--very late, and quite unexpected this season. 

not so much a resident as a reader but happy none the less.

thank you Toons 

:commie:

I certainly hope that English teams in the EL (including us) give that competition a high priority. Disinterest in the competition in the past could be somewhat justified but since the 2014/2015 season that lack of interest is no longer acceptable, especially given how competitive the EPL is. If this means sacrificing the domestic cup competitions then so be it.

Also think that the EPL needs to seriously consider a winter break. Doing away with FA Cup replays as well as two legged semi-finals in the C1C should free up the fixture schedule enough to allow for a 2 week break in January.

I agree that English domestic cups need fewer games, but the lower division teams like the added games from replays.  Some financial compromise is needed.  

And I think players need some relief from international games.  It's no coincidence that Suarez' production went into overdrive when he had an international suspension these past two years, and then he had a mini slump after his first games back for Uruguay. 

I think West Ham playing their youth and reserves in the Europa League qualifiers last season made a fair bit of sense given our circumstances.  If we get in this year, I expect we will try to go as far as is possible for us.  We've gained a bit of depth since the start of last season, and the fear of relegation is a little more distant. 

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I agree that English domestic cups need fewer games, but the lower division teams like the added games from replays.  Some financial compromise is needed.  

And I think players need some relief from international games.  It's no coincidence that Suarez' production went into overdrive when he had an international suspension these past two years, and then he had a mini slump after his first games back for Uruguay. 

It's not just the (imo) insane replays. England is for some bizarre reason running two cup competitions. the FA Cup and the Capital One (League Cup). The League Cup should have been simply abolished ages ago. 

Yes, it's mainly a cup to play the reserve/junior players in the first rounds. But if it's really so uniportant, then why not simply strike that thing from the calender entirely? The FA Cup is the one with the tradition. 

48 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Polish do you know anything about Piotr Zielinski. Looks like hes gonna be headed to Liverpool. 

Not really. I don't follow Polish football as strongly as I might anyway, but since he's been in Italy for his senior career you'd probably be better off asking a Serie A fan. :P Apparently he's an attacking mid, I'm not 100% that's what you should be concentrating on but who am I to judge Klopp? He's certainly got a history of success with Polish players.

I imagine we'll get a look at him in the Euros though. It's good to see young Polish players having an increasingly strong presence in various leagues around Europe. I'm predicting a breakout tournament for Arek Milik and a few clubs chasing him over the summer.

The United-Bournemouth game to be replayed on Tuesday. If LVG doesn't line up with a revolutionary 2-1-7 formation, he's doing it wrong.

On 13/05/2016 at 10:01 PM, mormont said:

OK, I know no-one else cares. But Hibs just lost to Falkirk in the promotion playoff second round. In the 93rd minute of the second leg.

This is hilarious to me as a Hearts fan. I'd like to get the derby back, of course. But Hibs' season has been poised on the verge of either glorious triumph or crushing disaster for weeks. They qualified for the promotion playoffs and they're in the cup final (remember that Hibs, despite being one of the five biggest clubs in Scotland, have not won the Scottish Cup since 1902, longer than some clubs have even existed). They could have won promotion and the cup in a single season. The first part of that is now gone after four gruelling games. Now they have one week to get up off the floor and beat Rangers, who've been preparing for the match since 1 May. It's possible. But it's certainly not going to be easy.

It was mentioned a few weeks ago on Radio Scotland that Robert Burns death is closer to Hibs winning the cup than we are now. As was George Washington's election, and the start of the French Revolution.

Doesn't the winner of the C1C go into the third qualifying round of the EL? Might be mistaken on that point.

I don't think the Football League will be keen on abolishing the C1C as it does generate revenue for lower league clubs. Thing is, the competition does not need to be done away with in order to accomodate a winter break. Just getting rid of FA Cup replays and the C1C two-legged semi finals should accomplish that without having to extend the season either.

Financial recompense for lower division clubs shouldn't be a major issue. The FA is a wealthy organisation and Premier League clubs are awash with cash so allocating a larger percentage of gate receipts and tv money (if the game is televised) to lower division sides shouldn't be a problem. Premier League clubs may even be persuaded to forfeit these fees altogether so clubs down the pyramid get a larger slice of the pie. The FA could look at paying a larger fee to lower division sides that make it to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and beyond as well, perhaps even bonuses if a lower league side takes a premier league side into extra time/penalties.

St Totteringham's Day lives!

Small consolation, but coming 2nd in the league and beating Tottenham at least means we end the season on a slightly higher note. and Wenger can say that he's now come 2nd for the first time in years after a decade of 3rd/4ths.

Archived