Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I agree. He's not ahead of Cazorla, but he's someone who I think has the potential to become a first team regular ( Yes yes, I know, his injuries and potential and all that, but still). I think AW mentioned this in one of his recent interviews that we need this variety in attack when playing against defences with two banks of four. Hoping that Jack stays fit for the whole season is a long shot, I suppose that's why we've gone for Xhaka. 

Xhaka supposedly adds passing with steel. He's reckless but he makes a lot of tackles/interceptions to go along with his ability to pass through the lines quickly. Not sure who he'll partner with though.

On Noble for England:

I love him, and I'd love to see him play for England simply because he would be so happy about it.  Realistically, I think he's good enough to play for England, but I don't think they'll be poorer for his absence, really.  He's a good all-round central midfielder who is good at all the things that a central midfielder should be good at, and he's all heart and hustle (which is why I love him), but England have lots of players with similar attributes already in the side.

Nobes has had a really, really good season and I don't want to take anything away from him, but he's also been playing with Payet--who really does make the players around him better.  England doesn't have anyone like Payet, unfortunately for them.

A plus for me about him not making the squad is that I've been trying to stop pulling for England in tournaments for years now, and I think this year is the one I finally break free!  If Noble had made the team, I'd have had no choice but to cheer for them.

I think Michail Antonio might have been a good choice for England, though.  He's been a complete menace going forward--strong, fast, and skillful, too.

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

Can't wait till we have a 1-0 lead away from home next season and AW gives us the defensive trio of Xhaka, Coquelin, Elneny with Gibbs at Left Wing. 

Gibbs is still going to be on the team next year?

Wenger came out yesterday and said we have striker targets. I'm really curious who those might be and how long it'll take for him to sign one. He's also doing the whole "we have to balance the budget" shtick so I'm already prepared to be disappointed.

Looking at the England team, there's a decent chance that most or even all of the Liverpool players could be on the bench and hopefully avoiding injury or fatigue.  The only risk to this hope is that Henderson, Milner, Lallana and Clyne have all been heavily involved in Hodgson's England teams and Sturridge was very sharp for England when he played.  That might keep them involved despite other players having hotter club form.  Noble could easily have been included in place of Delph but Hodgson probably didn't want to make that switch given that Delph is younger (more future value to the team) and has some experience with England.

A good team on recent form would be: Hart, Walker, Bertrand, Smalling, Cahill, Dier, Lallana/Drinkwater, Milner, Alli, Kane and Vardy in a 4-4-2 diamond since there is no real width available.  A plausible team biased toward Hodgson favorites and prior England experience would be: Hart, Walker/Clyne, Cahill, Smalling, Bertrand, Henderson, Wilshire, Sturridge, Rooney, Milner and Kane in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

I have to think that Henderson and Wilshire with injuries and rusty form would be on the bench, but Hodgson is conservative.  It's already a big risk to consider Dier and Alli at a major tournament, including Drinkwater too (even if deserved) may be a step too far for him so one of Henderson or Wilshire might still be in the XI.  Similarly, Rooney should be nowhere near the first team but is probably undroppable for Hodgson. 

If you assume that Hart, Rooney, Kane, Smalling and Cahill are guaranteed starters, then it's a question of who complements them.  Dier could shield those dodgy CBs but without him you need two deep CMs (4-2-3-1) like Drinkwater, Hendo, Wilshire and/or Delph (possibly even Milner).  Without Welbeck, the wide forwards are a bit of a compromise but Lallana, Milner, Sturridge and Vardy are all viable.  The problem is with Rooney hogging the #10 role probably excludes Alli and Barkley, but maybe you try one of them as a narrow wide forward.  But we saw at the WC what happens with Rooney at wide forward -- he won't track back and the FB gets overwhelmed.  Same would be true of Sturridge.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

And for the Scousers.

I know I am repeating myself on this issue:

Karius is reported to have reached an agreement with Liverpool. The 22 y.o. goalkeeper has rumoredly a release clause in his contract and will cost around 10 million €.

Of all the keepers we have been linked with he's the one I've wanted the most. Only cause I like his name :P don't know much about him but GK has to be our top priority this summer so I'll be glad if this happens. 

I still think the best option up front is not to play Rooney but to pair Kane with Vardy.

I don't see convincing argumentation for why this would not work in a sufficient manner. Change the "system" if you must and play what are by far your two best goalscorers. These guys will find each other and even if they don't work together a 100%, one or both of them have a great feel for the goal regardless and will have a moment. Just don't waste time and start training on this line-up asap.

In other notes, not bothered by Townsend ( as mentioned, rather him than Walcott) being included but very surprised by Wilshere. One way or the other I expect little input from him if he does come along. Other concerns are that Sterling has had a dreadful year and it's a big question if he will be in shape. It would be a big step up for England if he were. Likewise, if Vardy isn'playing next to Kane, put Sturridge in there, assuming he's not injured. Don't go with Rooney, unless you genuinely want to play Rooney in midfield ( in which case you may sooner start Barkley there).

31 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I still think the best option up front is not to play Rooney but to pair Kane with Vardy.

24 minutes ago, Raja said:

Yeah, no. They're both starting, in my opinion. 

I agree with you both.  I just hope Hodgson can relax his fear of change to go with it.

4 hours ago, Notone said:

And for the Scousers.

I know I am repeating myself on this issue:

Karius is reported to have reached an agreement with Liverpool. The 22 y.o. goalkeeper has rumoredly a release clause in his contract and will cost around 10 million €.

I don't know him at all but I'm just glad that we're actually doing something about GK.  With Mignolet's new contract and Klopp deflecting all questions during the season, we've all been living in hope that Klopp knows that we need an upgrade but didn't want to destroy Migs' confidence during the season, or destroy his resale value.

Considering Karius' release clause is similar in value to Horn's, I have to assume he has been judged as the better fit for us.

And the provisional roster for Germany has been announced today.

Small surprise. The two goalkeepers behind Neuer are Leno and ter Stegen. I didn't think Löw would go down that road, taking into account how much the two dislike each other. But hey, what do I know. Note: the squad is really thin on fullbacks, and on forwards. Candidates who are atm the most likely to get axed are Weigl, Brandt, and Kimmich. No idea, who the 4th player to get axed will be, maybe Sane maybe Draxler, or maybe Schürrle. Podolski looks likely to make the team. 

Anyway here are the players:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona), Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen)

Defense:  Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern), Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04), Shkodran Mustafi (Valencia), Emre Can (FC Liverpool), Sebastian Rudy (1899 Hoffenheim), Antonio Rüdiger (Roma)

Midfield and Forwards:  Sami Khedira (Juventus F.C.), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Draxler (VfL Wolfsburg), Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray Istanbul), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern), Karim Bellarabi (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Manchester United), Joshua Kimmich (FC Bayern), Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Weigl (Borussia Dortmund), Mario Gomez (Besiktas Istanbul), Mario Götze (FC Bayern), Leroy Sané (Schalke 04), André Schürrle (VfL Wolfsburg)

Spain's provisional squad out too:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David de Gea (Manchester United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla).

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Piqué (Barcelona), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Marc Bartra (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Mikel San José (Athletic Club), Juanfran (Atlético Madrid).

Midfielders: Bruno Soriano (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Koke (Atlético Madrid), Thiago Alcântara (Bayern), Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Isco (Real Madrid), Pedro Rodríguez (Chelsea), Cesc Fábregas (Chelsea), Saúl Ñíguez (Atlético Madrid).

Forwards: Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Club), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Álvaro Morata (Juventus), Lucas Vázquez (Real Madrid).

No Costa, Torres, Mata, Carzorla or Martinez. I certainly wouldn't have taken Bartra or Vazquez personally.

As for Germany I would have put two of Ginter, Schmelzer and Weiser in at full back, as at the moment they only have Hector. I would rather not see Can play there and Sebastian Rudy isn't anywhere near good enough as a midfielder, let alone out of position.

Tah instead of the hopeless Rüdiger. Fährmann or Trapp instead of MAtS. Midfield and attack are good, apart from Podolski still being there. It is nice to that Brandt and Weigl have been picked, but I would also have put Dahoud in the provisional. I think Draxler and Schweinsteiger might drop out as I don't think either are near fit.

This summer will now be interesting for three football-related reasons. 

Firstly, we have the Euros. Not sure how much of it I'll be able to see, but it will be interesting nevertheless. Go Iceland!

Secondly, Everton need a new manager. I'll refrain from speculating, as I have little knowledge of most of the ones linked (though I'll go with a big F U to whoever links us to Mourinho). 

Thirdly, whoever comes in will probably have a rebuilding job on their hands. Howard will leave. Hibbert, Osman, Gibson, Pienaar - all of them are on outgoing contracts, and I see little reason (perhaps with the exception of Osman) who will get a renewal. Add to that the likes of Stones, Lukaku and perhaps Barkley, who would perhaps like to leave, and the deadwood like Kone and McGeady, and you have a sizable contingent who needs to be replaced. Tough start to a new job.

United's mascots are apparently painted blue to promote the X Men movie - I find this very weird ( And I don't think it's going to help what looks like a pretty crap film) 

Edit: Sanchez Flores at Everton? 

4 hours ago, Notone said:

And the provisional roster for Germany has been announced today.

Small surprise. The two goalkeepers behind Neuer are Leno and ter Stegen. I didn't think Löw would go down that road, taking into account how much the two dislike each other. But hey, what do I know. Note: the squad is really thin on fullbacks, and on forwards. Candidates who are atm the most likely to get axed are Weigl, Brandt, and Kimmich. No idea, who the 4th player to get axed will be, maybe Sane maybe Draxler, or maybe Schürrle. Podolski looks likely to make the team. 

Anyway here are the players:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern), Marc-André ter Stegen (FC Barcelona), Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen)

Defense:  Jerome Boateng (FC Bayern), Jonas Hector (1. FC Köln), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04), Shkodran Mustafi (Valencia), Emre Can (FC Liverpool), Sebastian Rudy (1899 Hoffenheim), Antonio Rüdiger (Roma)

Midfield and Forwards:  Sami Khedira (Juventus F.C.), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Julian Draxler (VfL Wolfsburg), Lukas Podolski (Galatasaray Istanbul), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern), Karim Bellarabi (Bayer Leverkusen), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Manchester United), Joshua Kimmich (FC Bayern), Julian Brandt (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Weigl (Borussia Dortmund), Mario Gomez (Besiktas Istanbul), Mario Götze (FC Bayern), Leroy Sané (Schalke 04), André Schürrle (VfL Wolfsburg)

Light on real strikers indeed, with only Gomez as a solid choice, and I guess he is likely to play ( and still a good striker anyway).

But much of their offensive power would in any case come from the wings or no. 10, Mueller, Reus are both likely to start, with Draxler, Schurrle and Gotze as options off the bench. Ozil to start as their no. 10. It's a fearsome looking team.

4 hours ago, Sept Sev said:

Spain's provisional squad out too:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David de Gea (Manchester United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla).

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Piqué (Barcelona), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Marc Bartra (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Mikel San José (Athletic Club), Juanfran (Atlético Madrid).

Midfielders: Bruno Soriano (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Koke (Atlético Madrid), Thiago Alcântara (Bayern), Andrés Iniesta (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City), Isco (Real Madrid), Pedro Rodríguez (Chelsea), Cesc Fábregas (Chelsea), Saúl Ñíguez (Atlético Madrid).

Forwards: Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Club), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Álvaro Morata (Juventus), Lucas Vázquez (Real Madrid).

No Costa, Torres, Mata, Carzorla or Martinez. I certainly wouldn't have taken Bartra or Vazquez personally.

Not just that, their topscorer Pablo Alcacer has also been omitted.

You can see why Cazorla and Mata were omitted when you see the squad also holds Iniesta, Isco and David Silva, three creative midfielders already, plus also Niguez and Fabregas. Pedro is a forward of course. Solid midfielders in Busquets, Thiago, Koke. None of them as good as prime Xabi Alonso though. Ramos, Pique, Carvajal and Alba to start in defense. Surprised by the inclusion of Bartra, but perhaps part of training the next generation.

Costa omitted due to ongoing injuries apparently. Torres omiited on account of being shit. Morata to start as striker I would guess, but I could see that being a position that is not settled yet. Surprised Vasquez is in but Jese is not.

I won't be able to watch tonight's match since I'll be on a plane from Stockholm to Belgrade for its whole duration. Plane takes off at 20.35 and lands at 23.00 CET, so I probably won't even get to see the penalties if it comes to that.

Getting wifi onboard is a possibility, but the data amount is limited even for the most expensive package so streaming is out of the question. :( 

Hopefully, I'll receive good news on landing :D

Similar for me Baxus.  I'm traveling to DC for a client meeting.  I'll be able to check the scores online during the match but if it goes to ET I'll have to wait until late night to get the result.  I'll DVR the game even though I know I can't resist checking the result before I watch. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no way I could get to see the match before knowing the result.

Someone would text me regarding the match as soon as it's over (or even before, if it's too one-sided either way) so even going offline until seeing the match (tomorrow after work at the earliest) would not help.

Archived