Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

Moreno certainly doesn't make his case today. His gambling on getting the ball before the equalizer is the sort of desicion you don't make. He's not helped by Coutinho not being anywhere near defending. 

Also, on that goal - why did Toure jump out? He had the straight ball covered, then suddenly jumped out as to defend a cutback. Was anyone arriving there? I didn't see it.

The team didn't know how to control the game when Sevilla pressed hard.  Midfield was overrun by runners, our outball came straight back every time (which is a key weakness of Sturridge), we didn't build any possession to slow the game, our three forwards were taken out of the game by their opposite number stepping up more aggressively.  It's exactly what I feared at half time: we weren't able to adapt to Sevilla's change.  We can still complain about missed penalties and their third was offside, but we gifted them an early equalizer and then couldn't regain control.

There's a lot of room for improvement.  It would have been beautiful to win but the weaknesses are there whether we won or lost.  The silver lining is fewer games next year and more time for coaching -- we need it. 

4 minutes ago, Notone said:

The ball for Sevilla's third came from a Liverpool player, right?

So it can't be offside.

It can be. 

If - say - Banega tries to play Gamiero through. The ball hits Lovren, and it breaks for offside-placed Coke. That's offside. 

This, however, was no attempt at playing the ball through - it was a tackle that bounced the wrong way (and off a Liverpool player). 

Yes, but that would be a mere deflection, not a "controlled ball" (I think that's the fifa terminology). But the Liverpool defender did more than just merely deflect the ball. So that one was never in a 100 years offside.

2 minutes ago, Notone said:

Yes, but that would be a mere deflection, not a "controlled ball" (I think that's the fifa terminology). But the Liverpool defender did more than just merely deflect the ball. So that one was never in a 100 years offside.

Correct.

8 minutes ago, Notone said:

That's what I was trying to say :)

Coutinho's "through-ball" wasn't "controlled", but Clyne's tackle was. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Sorry, but no. As polish says, it was a meaningless fixture, rearranged at two days' notice. If it had been anywhere else, including St James' Park, there would still have been huge stretches of empty seats.

i'm not sure saying its so, makes it so.  if newcastle has a cancelled game on a sunday pretty much everyone can still get there. its not a made up thing that Man Utd fans are from far away more than most clubs fans. 

Sad/Interesting story concerning the upcoming relegation play-off games for Frankfurt.

One of the doping samples of Frankfurt captain Russ showed suspicious results concerning the growth hormone (hcg). 
He runs to his doctors: turns out that irregularity in his results was caused by a tumor. Judging from the club statement (serious tumor) it sounds malignent. To add injury to insult. A positive report by the NADA automatically causes a police investigation, so in addition to that really bad news, he also had his hotel room and home searched. 

The DA said, there was no indication of any wrong doing on Russ side, and basically cleared Russ of any suspicion. But they basically had to act that way, unless they had a notification from the doctor, that there's a medical explanation for the NADA alert. Oh, and he is part of the squad tonight.

Horrible way and time for Russ to find out, but without the systematic blood tests who knows how long it would have taken them to discover it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Some new proposals announced today to change the Football League to five leagues of 20 teams. As long as it doesn't involve b-teams it seems a decent suggestion.

That is horrible in every manner. Was hoping Nuremberg would stay up, but hope Russ gets the winner in stoppage time of the second leg now. Or at least let them score another so it isn't on his shoulders.

Terrible news for Russ.  Best wishes to him for a successful treatment. 

The added problem from Liverpool's loss is that it raises the scrutiny on transfer policy even higher this summer.  So all during silly season as we click every link and read every rumor, there'll be even more venting about transfer committees and Ian Ayre and FSG.  I was pretty appalled by some of the fan vitriol last night and I'm not looking forward to two more months of it.  The most vocal Liverpool fans seem to be an annoying mix of entitled twats and gloom & doomers living in the distant past.

The obvious conclusion from last night is that DC/Arlington is accursed in the eyes of the football gods and I should never watch another match there.  That's the Chernobyl of Liverpool games -- it'll be contaminated with bad luck for thousands of years.

MC/Kair - I visit that Arlington client every quarter.  Usually I fly in and out same day but if you're ever up for meeting for a drink then I can plan ahead to stay overnight on one of those trips.

And finally in this rambling post, my wife and son will be out of town for ten days in early June to visit her parents.  So the silver lining of my bachelor lifestyle of take-out food and loneliness is that I can binge on the opening games in the Euros with zero guilt that I'm neglecting my family.  Anyone in Chicago during that period is welcome to a football viewing party at my place.  Now I need to evaluate how many days I can "work" from home, or rely on the DVR and avoid the internet all day.

isk, 

really sorry about the finals loss. but, pool look likelsewhere a solid side under the kloppinator with a bright future. 

would certainly enjoy a beer with you sometime in the future!

euros:  I am the best boss in the world and have a television going into the kitchen as I did for the world cup. our productivity does take a bit of a dive, but my cooksous, chefs and stewards are happy!

39 minutes ago, MercifulChief said:

isk, 

really sorry about the finals loss. but, pool look likelsewhere a solid side under the kloppinator with a bright future. 

would certainly enjoy a beer with you sometime in the future!

euros:  I am the best boss in the world and have a television going into the kitchen as I did for the world cup. our productivity does take a bit of a dive, but my cooksous, chefs and stewards are happy!

You're a damn good boss MC.

Excellent quote from Alan Stubbs on the radio this morning, talking about how most of the older Hibs fans have never seen the club lift the Scottish Cup.

Alan, it's been 114 years. I think it might be safe to take a flyer and just say no living Hibs fan has seen the club lift the cup. :P

Archived