Football: Fox hunt failed - Leicester are Champions!

Mexal

Looks like Mourinho's appointment is imminent. I'm sure certain sections of the fanbase will be overjoyed. If this turns out to be the case, I hope these few months away from football has done him some good. No sense trashing the new manager until I see how he gets on and hope that Mourinho's third season implosion syndrome doesn't strike again - if he gets that far.

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

My thoughts exactly - they could have at least waited until tomorrow rather than compound such a terrible decision by ruining what's supposed to be a celebratory evening for LVG.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

No sense trashing the new manager until I see how he gets on

I beg to differ. We have plenty of evidence over several clubs for more than a decade that Mourinho is poisonous and doesn't play nice football and I maintain the right to lay into him and the decision to hire him until he's actually proven me wrong.

43 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Yeah, I thought it was a shitty thing for this story to break so soon after winning the FA Cup. It could've waited until Monday. Read some reports saying that it was actually Jorge Mendes who leaked the news.

Not an excuse. In fact, if true, it makes this worse. Either the Man U board are such classless assholes that they publicly kicked van Gaal in the backside at his (and the club's) one moment of genuine joy this season, or they're so weak that Mendes is able to publicly humiliate their manager and steal the thunder from their players, knowing they will do nothing about it.

If there's any justice this will be the first time Mourinho loses the dressing room prior to setting foot in it.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I beg to differ. We have plenty of evidence over several clubs for more than a decade that Mourinho is poisonous and doesn't play nice football and I maintain the right to lay into him and the decision to hire him until he's actually proven me wrong.

I don't disagree but I want my team to do well so if Mourinho is appointed as our manager then I will be rooting for him to succeed, just as I did with Moyes and LVG. I think we both agree on the negatives of Mourinho but he also has a track record of bringing success. If it turns out that these rumours are true then all we can hope for is that things might be different this time. Naive, I know.

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Not an excuse. In fact, if true, it makes this worse. Either the Man U board are such classless assholes that they publicly kicked van Gaal in the backside at his (and the club's) one moment of genuine joy this season, or they're so weak that Mendes is able to publicly humiliate their manager and steal the thunder from their players, knowing they will do nothing about it.

If there's any justice this will be the first time Mourinho loses the dressing room prior to setting foot in it.

I'm currently clinging on to the hope that if Mendes leaked it the club will decide that Mourinho is at least partially to blame and trying to force the club's hand again and take offense at this. And that it's not then too late to withdraw the offer.

1 minute ago, Consigliere said:

I don't disagree but I want my team to do well so if Mourinho is appointed as our manager then I will be rooting for him to succeed, just as I did with Moyes and LVG. I think we both agree on the negatives of Mourinho but he also has a track record of bringing success. If it turns out that these rumours are true then all we can hope for is that things might be different this time. Naive, I know.

I'm going to be rooting for him to succeed, but I'm going to have absolutely no patience with any of his bullshit. And it's not just going to be about success - throughout the season the criticisms of Van Gaal have been almost as much about the boring football as the not winning, and Jose has almost no record that says he'll fix this (he did, to be fair, try to stretch a little beyond his comfort zone at Madrid, but he had no real choice and we know how that ended up going).

I'm also just absolutely livid at the upper-level management for picking him at all.

11 minutes ago, mormont said:

I agree it's not an excuse and I never presented it as such. If true and there's any justice, the board should pull the plug on the deal.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I'm currently clinging on to the hope that if Mendes leaked it the club will decide that Mourinho is at least partially to blame and trying to force the club's hand again and take offense at this. And that it's not then too late to withdraw the offer.

It's years since your board had that amount of balls. Or pride. 

My fonder hope, as a neutral Mourinho hater (this does not compromise my neutrality, as it is perfectly natural to hate Mourinho) is that the players remember how he decided their cup win was fit only to be trampled under his giant ego and spend the season in revolt.

But I bet the Utd players are so desperate to escape the mediocrity of LVG that they'll embrace Mourinho regardless.  And other than Rooney there's no player with enough success to have much player power over Mourinho.  DDG is vital but aside from him only Martial isn't conceivably disposable.  They'll all fall in line. 

There are some superstars, but none of them have the major pull that could topple him.

Rooney, for all his Unitedness, most people recognise as being past his prime. Mata (it'll be interesting to see how Mourinho reunites with him) is not longstanding Manchester United name. I could see the fans being restless if De Gea were upset. But everyone else is either too young or too quiet (Smalling) to be able to cause Mourinho too much PR trouble.

Rooney could absolutely topple Mourinho.

de Gea and Martial, if rumour is to be believed, want to leave anyway. So they'd have no interest in toppling Mourinho, just using him as an excuse to get out. But Rooney is going nowhere and still has the clout, no question.

Archived