[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

2 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

See, but that's a dumb question, because she knew about Ramsay. The whole world knew about Ramsay.

LF pimped her out then left her with the Boltons, they killed her family, and wanted to rape her for an heir, then kill her, too.

They even had Myranda spell it out... Only an insane person would have thought it would end any differently.

Yep, it will be a completely stupid question with the very blatant reason being to make everything alright between Sansa and SuperFinger again:rolleyes:  Just like they had to have Davos finally ask Mel about Stannis and Shireen but they also couldn't have him hear the whole story so they had Brutienne roll up and flex her muscles to interrupt them:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ser Biscuit said:

Do you really think Dumb and Dumber knows where locations are in Westeros? The same people that have "Dorne" as the location of House Martell in the opening credits rather than Sunspear. The same people that had a character say she'll simply "go around" the Moat.

I think they wiki certain things and that's all. I don't think they've read any books much less know certain locations. They got lucky that George asked them who Jon's parants were because that was something well speculated about on the internet. If George asked them "Who is Yohn Royce and what is his castle?" they would have been stomped and this atrocity of a show would have never existed.

No, the showrunners certainly aren't concerned with such meaningless things as geography and time in trying to tell their story:rolleyes:  Also, in retrospect, I sure wish Martin had asked them what some of the main themes of ASoIaF are instead?:D 

1 hour ago, SuperMario said:

Since Dany is immune to fire on the show, and since in Weisseroff, the ground and buildings burn at the speed of light, why doesn't Dany just start fires everywhere she goes burning everything and everyone until she gets what she wants?

I was thinking about this in the context of how there are always unintended consequences when the show makes these changes (i.e. the "Butterfly Effects" quickly grow to the size of dragons, etc.)  If Dany is immune to fire then she should just find Drogon and ride everywhere naked, of course, burning everything in a very warped version of Lady Godiva or something!  Nothing could stand in her way!  I'm pretty sure the unintended consequence here will be that Dany's easy way out of any scrape from now on would be to just burn her way out.  When she doesn't use that obvious way out sometime in the future it's going to be...you guessed it, "nonsense" once again.    

Hey... how did that raven from Cersei in King's Landing find its way to Batfinger in Winterfell? Did it fly through a plot hole to get there? I can't remember and I'll  be damned it I watch that shit again.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Blood sport, that's what it is.

I don't agree that Brienne's pointless wandering from Feast belonged in the show, though.  But, she could have instead interacted more with the overall Riverlands story and more of her story could have been brought forward.  

Having her randomly run into every important person in Westeros no matter what region she's in, is bad storytelling.

Tyrion has become comic relief on the show, which is weird.  But then, the show is weird and flat, except for fire and blood and revenge.  It doesn't even have nudity anymore as relief from the revenge and murder and stupid plotting.

Brienne has been without a story for three seasons now. Her big interactions narratively in the books were Jaime and Catelyn then Lady Stoneheart. They gutted both.

So it's been a series of awkward, you aren't supposed to be here, hence you can have no lasting impact on anyone, just stand around and watch.

The way they "solve" this is to have her be a brutal thug every so often.

Sansa is a prop, they use her to prop up various male characters (sadly, the male character who is in the story to support her, Sandor, is relegated to Brienne status, aka wait your turn).

Brienne has been the prop to a prop. 

Strong women, yee ha!

Sad about comic relief, too, because NCW is very funny, as is Jaime. Alas, not Larry. 

Sandor is funny, too. They should have brought him back last season, but his reason for returning was too busy propping up Ramsay.

Just now, TepidHands said:

Hey... how did that raven from Cersei in King's Landing find its way to Batfinger in Winterfell? Did it fly through a plot hole to get there? I can't remember and I'll  be damned it I watch that shit again.

Hmm...I thought it was a rider...but same distinction.  Either way, how would they know to find him in Winterfell (nevermind how quickly the message got there:rolleyes:).

12 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

s05e03, Roose and LF discussion:

"A message for you from Cersei Lannister.
A rider arrived from the Eyrie shortly before dawn.
Apparently she thinks you're still in the Vale."

So people in the Vale knew that he was at Winterfell, but this season they just forgot about it.

Another error to add into the mix, lol.

2 minutes ago, Valetudo said:

So people in the Vale knew that he was at Winterfell, but this season they just forgot about it.

Yep. Great catch. So BatFinger tells Bronze Yohn they were ambushed on their way to the Fingers, which is how Sansa was kidnapped. Yet a rider, who is a physical human being, shows up to deliver a message to Batfinger. I'm assuming whoever took the message at Winterfell told the rider he was there and would give it to him.

So many wrongs with the Batfinger timeline.

7 minutes ago, Valetudo said:

This, too. And I still want to know what about the Vale knights who know there was no ambush. Hey, Lord Robin, the one we are sworn to, no ambush.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

This, too. And I still want to know what about the Vale knights who know there was no ambush. Hey, Lord Robin, the one we are sworn to, no ambush.

He gave them a candy too!

Everybody will do what you want and keep your secrets if you give them candy!

4 minutes ago, Valetudo said:

Yes, that's it.  Thanks!  So, I guess it could have gone something like this:

-Message is sent from Cercei in KL, either by raven or rider, before LF leaves the Vale.

-The message arrives in the Vale just after LF and Sansa leave.

-Someone in the Vale knows LF went to Winterfell and sends a rider after him with the message.

I guess that could work except for that pesky little detail that someone in the Vale had to know LF went to Winterfell and not the Fingers.  So, it wasn't really all that much of a super-secret mission after all.  And it just makes the whole exchange with Bronze Yohn that much more illogical and that's no small feat considering the fact that, you know, the Fingers are actually in the Vale so the story of Boltons kidnapping Sansa on the way is the.dumbest.thing.ever.

I agree with whats been said about book dany vs show dany and how they dont get her despite my feelings on the character. It happens to just about every character they see one trait in a character and just explode it at the expense of everything else for the character. Jon knows nothing, Dany is a harsh person, Tyrion is witty, Stannis is unyielding, Jaime is arrogant and bound to his sister etc.

42 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Oh my god you're right! Ive been listening to Theon I TWoW recently and Stannis and the Maester of the Dreadfort, Tybald exchange about how most Ravens can only travel to one castle xD

59 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Just like they had to have Davos finally ask Mel about Stannis and Shireen but they also couldn't have him hear the whole story so they had Brutienne roll up and flex her muscles to interrupt them:rolleyes:

LOL. When that scene happened I wish Davos would have said something like, "Okay Brienne, we all know you can kick our asses. Now run along and play with your toys and let us adults talk."

So all the things that give a story life, they pass. No meaningful connections, no humor, no romance, no sexy, no magic...

The ones who meant the most to the characters in the books are forgotten... out of sight, out of mind... but here, have an empty unearned moment (note the "re" in reunion, it helps if they were actually ever united). 

Jaime and Sandor are funny and played by funny actors, but one props up Carol, the other sits out while Fansa props up Ramsay. Instead, St. Tyrion deadpans about nothing in a bad English accent.

Dany and Daario talk politics in bed. No Asha and Qarl. No Arianne and the real Sand Snakes. No Sansa's dreams of Sandor and Brienne's dreams of Jaime, replaced with rape and revenge.

No Jaqen's bathhouse scene, just a fug bathrobe (surely they are taunting us with that). Gendry is still rowing... Osha is wasted on Ramsay...

No one but Bran can warg... and no Summer, maybe he is chilling with the forgotten Nymeria... Arya couldn't even "warg" the cat, just bloody brutal beatings, rinse and repeat... Drogon is a cranky baby who wants to sleep...

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Good catch on another continuity error about the rider from the Eyrie.  LMAO.  I guess the message from Cersei must have gone to one of LF most super trusted peeps who he had secretly confided to...so they would know where to send the message.

They are terrible at this.

I need your help! After watching episode 3, I was telling my friend that the High Sparrow and Tommen speech is emblematic of the nonversations the characters have in this show. Because Tommen goes in to demand that his mother be free, and the High Sparrow doesn't answer him and instead talks about mother's love. And then they randomly jump to quotes on how a wise ruler needs wise counsellors. However, he claims that the High Sparrow is being devious and this shows that Tommen is naive.
But at the moment, for the life of me, I can't remember any other specific instances of nonversations throughout the series (though I know there were quite a few).

About Cersei's message to LF, this only shows us once again that they really don't plan anything in advance.

They had this goal of getting Sansa in Winterfell,so they decided that LF should take her on a trip.

Since LF could not tell to Royce what he was going to do without risking some sort of rebellion, he told him he was going to the Fingers.

But then they needed a reason for LF to quit Winterfell, so they invented this "message from Cersei"

Problem: Cersei can't know that he is at Winterfell, so her message must go to the Eyrie, because that's where she thinks he is. OK, logic. But the rest of the explanation doesn't make sense, so they handwaved it with the "a rider came from the Eyrie" line, hoping that the audience wouldn't think about it. Lets look at the problems about that explanation:

-The message goes to the Eyrie (by Raven, I presume). But they've already quit the Eyrie. Does a Maester and some riders stay there during Winter to receive messages and transmit them? We could believe that Roose said the rider came from the Eyrie instead of saying that it came from the Vale, but that's just sloppy writing then.

-The message reaches the Vale, and a rider is sent to transmit it. But people at the Vale believe that LF is at the Fingers. How did this rider know that he is at Winterfell? At that time, we could honeypot that Royce discovered that LF was not going to the fingers because he passed through the gates of the Moon or something. Not really believable, but not impossible

-It's now Season 6, and they need a reason for Royce to send his troops to Winterfell with LF. Here comes the "Boltons kidnapped her" plan!

For this, we need to forget everything about last season. Either Royce knew that he was going to Winterfell, and so sent the rider there, or he didn't, and so the rider arriving at Winterfell is impossible. Or do we have to believe that LF bribed the Maesters, the riders,... in order to receive hypothetical messages that could arrive at the Vale???? Same thing with the Knights that went with him, are they corrupt too? But since this happened last season, they assume that everybody forgot about it.

And, as if by magic, no critic remembers about that kind of stuff! lol

Archived