[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

Just now, lalunadelmar said:

I agree. A lot of the key players of GOT have been acting extremely OOC.

But I think it's hard to say what LF would do. Even in the books his intentions are rather cryptic and he tells Sansa/Alayne that he plans to marry her off to Harrold Hardyng as a greater ploy to reclaim the North. 

TV Sansa's storyline and character development is just ridiculous. One minute she's gullible and entitled, then she's traumatized by the Ramsey-Rape, then she's cold and vengeful but super-chummy with her half-brother, then she's back to being gullible and entitled again. I have no idea what is going on with her and I'm exasperated by her superficial "empowerment" moments/speeches. 

Last we heard of her in the novels, Sansa was just starting to mature and shed her more naive way of thinking while still in the Vale. The slower maturation of Sansa and the subtle interaction she had with other characters (to show her growing cleverness) are so much more interesting than D&D's Sansa. 

I really wish we could have had Alayne in the Vale along with Myranda, Mya, and Lothar Brune. The stuff with Harry the Heir, the tourney, her growing closeness and care for Robin, would have been so interesting to watch. I think that would have been more of a challenge for Sophie too, maybe help her acting evolve. I personally don't even consider ST, Sansa anymore. I fancast Eleanor Tomlison now and imagine what she would have done with the book arc. I really think she is a better a actress especially from what I've seen on Poldark.

I guess the "broad strokes" like character fates still originate from GRRM, including "Hold the door". For my personal taste it is always a bad sign if a story plot relies on changing the past and / or time paradoxons. 

On the other hand I wonder whether we will learn that Ramsay poisoned Joffrey before the season is over.

They just threw Summer away shamefully. They likely just wanted to ditch the CGI budget, but they could have at least come up with a better exit than that.

Oh, at least there was one good thing. Mini Cat lying to the half brother because she doesn't trust him. Hibberd had it right, straight from the showrunners.

24 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

I really wish we could have had Alayne in the Vale along with Myranda, Mya, and Lothar Brune. The stuff with Harry the Heir, the tourney, her growing closeness and care for Robin, would have been so interesting to watch. I think that would have been more of a challenge for Sophie too, maybe help her acting evolve. I personally don't even consider ST, Sansa anymore. I fancast Eleanor Tomlison now and imagine what she would have done with the book arc. I really think she is a better a actress especially from what I've seen on Poldark.

If only D&D had used all that for Sansa's TV storyline. Wow. Now that you mention it, Eleanor Tomlinson really would have made a great Sansa. I loved her in Poldark and The White Queen. Her acting chops certainly fare a lot better than ST's. 

1 minute ago, lalunadelmar said:

If only D&D had used all that for Sansa's TV storyline. Wow. Now that you mention it, Eleanor Tomlinson really would have made a great Sansa. I loved her in Poldark and The White Queen. Her acting chops certainly fare a lot better than ST's. 

Every time I see what she's done with Demelza, I just think she would have been great as Sansa. I also think she has a radiant kind of beauty that I envision the book character having.

2 hours ago, ArabellaVidal said:

Because Brienne needs to return to her RL plot in order to meet Septon Elderbald and to meet back up with Jaime who will be back in His RL plot in episode 7. Teleportation, yo!

I wouldn't be so sure of that, were I you. From what I've read 

Spoiler

Septon Peaceloving is killed by the BwB while Sandor is away (taking a crap, as usual ?). He doesn't seem to encounter Brienne at all.

Anybody else a little confused by what in the gods name Bran has learnt that is so important this season, or ever? Why does the Nights King even care less about him seeing shitty little visions from the past? So he knows Ned leaves for the Eyrie, big deal!! Ned fought dual wielding Dayne, so what! Who gives a damn about these shity visions and why does it concern The Nights King? Why can the Nights King see him, how does the shitty visions Bran has impact or threaten the Nights King, it all just seems so pointless, how does Bran having these visions possibly endanger the White Walkers at all, it all seems so stupid!

On-screen we haven't seen Bran learn anything. Apparently Bloodraven told him about the Night's King, off-screen of course, and he's shown him some Stark-related information, and now some info-dumps about the Others. We've not seen BR actually teach him or train him though. Also I find it funny how the wights can basically be killed, or fall apart, from a slap, rather than fire being the only effective means to kill them. 

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Bran's storyline in the cave was learning about Hodor origin story. 

So bloody important, I bet the Nights King must have feared that and hence needed to stop it quick smart, Bran knowing about Hodor wouldn change everything in the Battle for the Dawn!

They really screwed up Bran's story arc. Really sloppy and just the overall sense that the writers don't even care anymore. I'm getting that feeling throughout the whole show actually. But it works for them. The masses still give them huge ratings and the critics kiss their asses. How any critic can still give them the benefit of the doubt after season 5 is beyond me. Season 6 is even more illogical and offensive. This show was really good once.

20 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

Anybody else a little confused by what in the gods name Bran has learnt that is so important this season, or ever? Why does the Nights King even care less about him seeing shitty little visions from the past? So he knows Ned leaves for the Eyrie, big deal!! Ned fought dual wielding Dayne, so what! Who gives a damn about these shity visions and why does it concern The Nights King? Why can the Nights King see him, how does the shitty visions Bran has impact or threaten the Nights King, it all just seems so pointless, how does Bran having these visions possibly endanger the White Walkers at all, it all seems so stupid!

I know. I mean Bran is having these visions to eventually lead to the reveal of Jon's parentage in the ToJ, but D&D sure are dragging out the visions. The only importance I might see with the battle against Dayne would be to reveal Dawn (might be significant if the sword is, in fact, Lightbringer) but then again, D&D changed Dayne into a dual wielder. So not sure why they included it. Maybe they just wanted a little action to throw into the fray of useless plots. 

The whole idea of the time paradox, warging, and Hodor is pretty interesting but I think it treads a fine line. It could easily make the whole GoT-verse feel like it jumped the shark. Perhaps the Night's King being able to see Bran will lend itself to the white-walker mythology and Bran's role in the coming war later on. I think Bran's storyline just feels so deeply unsatisfying and somewhat confusing because it's so poorly told and explained. 

Also: what is it with them skipping over stuff that might be, you know, important to actually see? They did it with Sam telling Jon that Bran was alive. And now we don't see Bloodraven telling Bran about the Night's King, the supposedly terrible and dangerous villain? I guess watching Stark kids at play is more important...

6 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

They really screwed up Bran's story arc. Really sloppy and just the overall sense that the writers don't even care anymore. I'm getting that feeling throughout the whole show actually. But it works for them. The masses still give them huge ratings and the critics kiss their asses. How any critic can still give them the benefit of the doubt after season 5 is beyond me. Season 6 is even more illogical and offensive. This show was really good once.

Hear! Hear! I revisited season 1 to ease my disappointment over these last two seasons that managed to butcher such a great, complex narrative. 

I'm just so underwhelmed, I thought  Brans visions would give us some insight into what the Nights King wants, where does he draw his power from? His origins apart from yeah the CotF created them but how they lost control and why. What are the true powers of the 3eC, how can he combat the Nights King, I mean was the 3 eyed crows strategy just to hide in the cave? Why could the Nights King sense Bran, all we got was a shifty take over of the cave that BloodRaven had been in for a thousand years. The show just is so FUCKING bleak, nothing good ever occurs, why is the New High Priestess of Rh"Ollor seeming capable when Melisandre cannot seem to do fuck all or any prophecy correctly anymore! The show to me seems to have stories written by 8 year olds that say "there is a scary woman, and she can see what your scared of, and she's coming for you Varys, you should be scared". It's all about what happens but there is NO How or Why things happen anymore. Again, it's just random Skits that make no sense in a bigger picture, there is no constant of character motivations. I don't want to see Random people do random stuff, I want to know how they are doing it and why they want to do it and Game of Thrones does not deliver that anymore. It doesn't pose any interesting questions anymore, there is no nuance or depth to it and is a tragedy to me because I absolutely loved the first few seasons when it seemed to promise so much more. So much more!!

3 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

Also: what is it with them skipping over stuff that might be, you know, important to actually see? They did it with Sam telling Jon that Bran was alive. And now we don't see Bloodraven telling Bran about the Night's King, the supposedly terrible and dangerous villain? I guess watching Stark kids at play is more important...

LOL.

I think D&D felt compelled to add in that scene because alot of the viewers who don't read the books might be confused as to who Lyanna is. They had to re-emphasize her significance so that viewers could understand how she comes into play later on. 

Though I wish they had delved more into the important aspects Robert's Rebellion if they weren't going to at least get to the point about the Night's King. Now that Bloodraven is dead I'm not sure how exactly Bran is going to learn how to ultimately defeat the white walkers (which I'm assuming should be the significance of his visions?). 

Finally I can rant about this.

1, Sansa and LF. That scene. THAT scene. There's idiot balls and then there's this. Canada might officially be too dumb to live at this point. The worst part is the wasted potential - the acting is great and this scene would actually be the logical continuation of the Winterfell plotline, as much as anything about that plotline can make sense - if it happened after the Bastardbowl. Sansa executing BF optional. Here it just Janos you right out of the narrative. Let's recap:

• A letter arrives at Castle Black and js given to Sansa instead of the Lord Commander. Maybe they realised she had a special relationship with BF? And no one mentions this again! 
  • So in the letter he asks her to meet - where the hell did he send this letter from? How???
  • There's two options for where the meeting takes places, each stupider than the other - either this is in CB, in which case how in the seven hells has no one noticed BF's arrival, or in Mole's Town in which case why in seven hells is everybody ok with Sansa going for a joyride in dangerous country with a price on her head? And why is nobody the slightest bit suspicious about this? 
  • So the last episode BF was in the Vale, having just learned that Sansa ran away from WH. This actually gives us a point of reference for the timeline. So in the time it took Sansa to show up at the Wall nd have a breakfast with Jon, BF travelled from wherever he was (not KL/North/the Vale :dunno:) to Royce's castle, assembled an army, matched it to Moat Failing and travelled twice the fucking distance Sansa has? 
  • WHY is he there? Did he seriously just travel thousands of miles for no reason other than to have a tete a tete with Sansa? To tell her Blackfish now has an army? This is public information (or will be shortly)! Send a raven! If he wasn't teleporting at the speed of light it would be even dumber - by the time he delivers the message this info will be of no use to Sansa as she will be dead! 
  • Having a character point out that another character is acting like a moron doesn't make that action any less idiotic! This happens twice in this scene! 
  • Why is she lying to Jon? WHY???
  • Ok, I don't care how pissed off you are - if you're going to war, knowing you are outnumbered more than 2:1 me someone offers you a free army, you fucking take it! If you're still pissed off after you have won (as she has every right to be), don't speak to them ever again afterwards or,hell, have the bastard Brienne-kebabed. Does she want to die (along with what's left of her family)?

2, Ok Dany it's time you made your mind up about Jorah. It has been three seasons. Also why are you sorry?! You didn't give him   scale! Shouldn't you be pissed off that he brought it to your city and now to your camp? And yes, I'm sure Jorah the Explorer will find the cure no one has discovered before. Also, why is he there if his goal is just to be sent away again?

3, Euron and Yara have the same plan! Build a big ass reading fleet (BARF)! And all its going to take is everybody working overtime for a little bit! The IB must be kicking themselves that no one thought about this before! They could have conquered the world ages ago!

• Wasn't Yara against the whole pinecones and needles thing the last episode? Why is she proposing more futile reaving? Did she honestly just get Euron s book speech?
  • Yara and Euron sound kinda similar when shouted by a crowd. Is this the rare instance of D&D foreshadowing? Am I going mad?
  • Good thing Euron showed up, otherwise Yara would sure feel a bit awkward running as the sole candidate.

4, Bran - I think Hold the Door thing was a bit of a tearjerker so I suppose it worked. The WW reveal was cool, though you have to wonder why Bran is no longer interested in that tower. But they just HAD to kill Summer N the lamest way possible, didn't they? And this somehow wasn't enough to bring Bran back to reality? Also, I don't care whether Hodor can hold that door for 5 minutes - are you seriously asking me to believe that fucking Bran can run away from the army of the dead with barely any headstart? Him and Meera are so dead right now.

Archived