[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

2 minutes ago, maicao said:

Jorah's greyscale become a thing again...?

Yes, D&D, let's just pretend he didn't touch Dany and other people before...

So, Jorah, infected with greyscale, set out across the Dothraki Sea, an area the size of the US, with just one other guy to find Dany, just to leave when he finds her? What a brilliant plan...

I have a metric fuckton to say about the LF/Sansa scenes.

Skipping LF's capacity to teleport (why bother? It doesn't seem to bother any critics, so why should it bother me? Anyone can get anywhere in any amount of time now, because that's good storytelling) we start with Sansa explaining to LF how she suffered at the hands of Ramsay. I was puzzled as to why we were doing this until I later realized that Ramsay wasn't in this episode, which might mean that some viewers forget how evil he is. Well avoided D and D! And despite the subject matter I found myself laughing incredible hard when Sansa said "You freed me from the monsters who murdered my family, and you gave me to other monsters who murdered my family." There it is in black and white. We've been saying it for over a year and now the characters are finally realizing it. But you don't get any points back from your stupid plot last year by pointing out how stupid it was this year.

Interestingly, and in keeping with how the show has been trying to push the "girl power" narrative, Sansa's attitude in this scene moves away from the "hardened woman making a choice" comments made by the writers last year and dumps blame squarely on LF's head. I'm not trying to victim blame, but I will say that Sansa did go to Winterfell at LF's instruction. The abuse was no ones fault but Ramsays - but Sansa still passively accepted the plan outlined in s5 ep3 by LF and now mocked here by Sansa. Pointing out how stupid it all was after the fact makes her at best an idiot and at worst a hypocrite. One of the main reasons why I always scoffed at those critics using historical context to make sense of Sansa's marriage or say that it started a "debate" about sexual violence is that Sansa went to marry her enemies voluntarily thanks to a half baked and nonsensical effort to get revenge; a decision which no sane person in the history of woman kind has ever made. So how useful is it in discussing anything if it has no bearing in reality? For the creators to try and step back from what they presented last year is cowardly in the extreme.

LF explains that the vale Lords have occupied Moat Cailen, a piece of exposition so ridiculous it takes my breath away. In order for this to make sense, one of these must be true:

1. Ramsay was not defending Moat Cailen, the fortress which guards the entrance to his realm, in spite of the fact that he is an enemy of the state now and has just executed a member of house Frey - geographically the closet neighbor he has. This indicates gross incompetence.

2. Ramsay allowed a foreign army to occupy his own territory based on the dodgy alliance his father (who he has subsequently murdered) made with LF, the shiftiest man in the seven kingdoms who gave them Sansa stark out of the kindness of his heart and who has now mustered an army to help Ramsay without even being asked. This indicates a child-like gullibility.

3. The Vale Knights have outright conquered a northern castle without repercussions and in astonishing little time. This indicates that the Castle fell without the need for ladders, rams or siege towers - perhaps LF teleported them inside.

But Sansa is having none of it. She is pissed at LF (who can blame her) and wants nothing more to do with him... or the massive army that is already encamped on foreign soil for her. This raises two more points.

1. Sansa is refusing the aid of the Vale because she dislikes LF, which is an emotional response worthy of her season 1 self.

2. Sansa (and the show itself) is assuming without evidence that LF and the Vale Knights are synonymous; a single political entity. Instead of rounding up the Northern lords, Sansa should instead make her case directly to Robin Arryn and Lord Royce, with the knowledge that LF is Lysa Arryn's killer as her ace in the hole. She is a blood relative of Robin and has been treated very well by Royce. These two make for natural allies against both the boltons and LF if she so chose. The show will inevitably team LF up with Sansa again, but separating him from Robin will never be considered in the show because we need the Vale Knights to save the day at the last minute and not a moment before. Apparently D and D are fans of Return of the King.

Once again, LF need only flash sansa a cheeky hint of his quasi irish accent and she's powerless before his machinations. We've had three episodes of happiness from Jon and Sansa, but because LF points out "heeeesssshhhh yer hurf breeeettthhhheeerrr" she starts lying to him and politically posturing. Consistency, thy name is GOT.

And the nail in the coffin; LF announces that Blackfish has taken Riverrun. Sansa seizes on the idea that a man surrounded by enemies on all sides is the perfect bloke to start sending her troops, but this idiocy isn't the hateful part. The worst part is that immediately after a conversation in which Sansa repudiates LF, says she hates and doesn't trust him, she starts acting upon unverified information that only he has told her. It was probably just a cheap way to get exposition across, but the show ignored the internal consistency of a single scene! How can anyone applaud the show when the characterization is sacrificed in an instant for the convieniance of the plot?

But who am I kidding? Sansa is a walking plot convenience, devoid of personality or character beyond experiencing misery. The first episode needed Theon to look brave, so Sansa was made afraid of icy water. The third episode needed Jon pushed out of his funk, so Sansa became a badass determined to get him back in the ring. The fifth episode needed LF to be chewed out but not actually effected politically, so Sansa shouts at him, then leaves him alone until ep 9 or whenever he returns with the Vale Knights et al. Whatever role the episode needs Sansa to play, she can play it, be it spoilt child, sex abuse victim or political schemer. But even I admit how rare it is to see her being all three in the same episode.

Just call me "The Dead Sea" because I'm salty as fuck. 

1 hour ago, Sept Sev said:

The CotF really should have tried using those grenades as their WMD against humans before inventing the Others.

I found it quite strange that for the Others creation scene, the 3EC and Bran seemingly saw it due to the weirwood when that hadn't been the case in the other visions.

And the 'I'll stay behind to buy time' trope was incredibly overused in the last scene. (Nevermind, @Primalsplit beat me to this)

Also did Yara and Theon take all the ships in the bay? I swear they only had two small boatloads of men.

LOL

I am actually wondering ... did the Children not damage with those grenades their beloved big weirwood tree? 

50 minutes ago, Sir Drew said:

According to 'Inside the Episode' Bloodraven is forcing all his knowledge upon Bran there or something. Not that there's anything in the actual episode that would suggest such a thing. Cramming all this stuff into one episode was a mistake. Nothing was given the appropriate weight. 

Why would you ever spend some time on Bran Storyline? It is so boring. They only talk and have visions. It is only bearable if you insert some the whole Craster thing, ... :bang:

I agree with what everyone has said about Euron, completely uninspiring and hard to believe people would actually follow him. Him admitting to killing Balon also seemed stupid but I guess the Ironborn don't care about kinslaying.

Also I don't know if anyone has commented on this but I couldn't help but notice how much Euron looks like the fan art of Harwyn Hardhand from the World of Ice and Fire.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/harwyn_hoare_awoiaf_3640.jpg

4 hours ago, LazyBazooka said:

Call me crazy, but it feels like the random close-up of cock warts was almost a middle-finger to everyone who wanted more male nudity on the show. 

Yep...

4 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

Definitely. Everyone was just disgusted with it, men and women. They didn't even attempt to make that penis look desirable like they do the nude women. It had warts!

Yep. Something that was a callback to a woman making a choice in the books (Sansa rejecting Tyrion) was turned into that. But they added naked Sansa! They wouldn't miss that.

Spoiler

And Bobono’s cock was indeed flopping out. It was made to flop out, for the rape. What a hideous thing, Mercy thought... the thing was a mottled pink and white, with a bulbous head the color of a plum. Mercy pushed it back into Bobono’s breeches and laced him back up. “Mercy,” he sang as she tied him tight, “Mercy, Mercy, come to my room tonight and make a man of me.”
“I’ll make a eunuch of you if you keep unlacing yourself just so I’ll fiddle with your crotch.”
“We were meant to be together, Mercy,” Bobono insisted. “Look, we’re just the same height.”
“Only when I’m on my knees.”...
With that, he grabbed at her chest, fumbling for a nipple. “You have no titties. How can I rape a girl with no titties?”
She caught his nose between her thumb and forefinger and twisted. “You’ll have no nose until you get your hands off me.”
“Owwwww,” the dwarf squealed, releasing her.
“I’ll grow titties in a year or two.” Mercy rose, to tower over the little man. “But you’ll never grow another nose. You think of that, before you touch me there.”

1 minute ago, alienarea said:

To sum it up: Larry fucked up big time.

If he had killed Bran he would not have gone North of the wall, hadn't been tagged by the Night's King and the wall would still be safe.

We can count on Larry always, always fucking everything up. 

37 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

They'll be like those entrenched Japanese soldiers on remote islands people found 15 years after the end of World War II who still thought the war was going on.

Hmm. That also sounds a bit like show!Brienne too. I can see her in her eighties or something still trying to start up shit with former Stannis supporters.

I already mentioned it here

Guys, it is reallly time for Benjen hype!!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1152798/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t18

LOL. He calls brother beyond the wall? Are they doing Coldhands? While there are notes saying it is not Benjen IIRC, when it said he is long dead, why there are so many signs it is corpse being used by Bloodraven (who knows - it can be Bran from the further :dunno: Does this "your monster" mean? Bran is Dr. Frankenstein? I think I just found something, so excited! .... I still liked more the idea of a Raven Tooth Corpse used by Bloodraven <_< Still Dr. Brandenstein or whatever you want to call him. 

O no, but we already have another dr. Frankenstein (Qyburn). It is getting complicated here! And then all those red priests... 

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

I already mentioned it here

Guys, it is reallly time for Benjen hype!!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1152798/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t18

LOL. He calls brother beyond the wall? Are they doing Coldhands? While there are notes saying it is not Benjen IIRC, when it said he is long dead, why there are so many signs it is corpse being used by Bloodraven (who knows - it can be Bran from the further :dunno: Does this "your monster" mean? Bran is Dr. Frankenstein? I think I just found something, so excited! .... I still liked more the idea of a Raven Tooth Corpse used by Bloodraven <_< Still Dr. Brandenstein or whatever you want to call him. 

O no, but we already have another dr. Frankenstein (Qyburn). It is getting complicated here! And then all those red priests... 

Someone has to save Meera and Bran, why not Benjen Ex Machina? LOL

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Maybe Brienne gets lost on her way to the RL. And maybe her GPS doesn't just locate Stark girls, but, Stark boys as well.

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Said it already 5 hours ago before I read somebody else mentioning it. Will he be death? Will he be Coldhands? 

There was also that spoiler where Ben would indeed save Bran, bring him to CB and would then ... walk away again 

Bold: LOL 

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

Maybe Brienne gets lost on her way to the RL. And maybe her GPS doesn't just locate Stark girls. But, Stark boys as well.

LOL Perfect! Will she kill Meera then, since she always kills those who are doing something useful? 

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Hmm. That also sounds a bit like show!Brienne too. I can see her in her eighties or something still trying to start up shit with former Stannis supporters.

LOL!! Yeah, it's getting a little annoying she is still bringing that up. Yet, she's the perfect person to go down and get the Tullys to join the fight! :unsure:

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Yet, she's the perfect person to go down and get the Tullys to join the fight! :unsure:

Absolutely, given the fact that the Tullys have so many troops, they can easily spare an army corps or two.

11 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Is she going to bring up how righteous she was to kill Stannis every episode until we believe her? She'll still be there 10 years from now, the annual, Righteous Brute Christmas Special.

17 minutes ago, alienarea said:

To sum it up: Larry fucked up big time.

If he had killed Bran he would not have gone North of the wall, hadn't been tagged by the Night's King and the wall would still be safe.

Larry was innocent, he was being warged by Bloodraven, which was Bran from the future!

*can someone post the logic is so real right now gif?

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

LOL Perfect! Will she kill Meera then, since she always kills those who are doing something useful? 

Meera is one of the last few loyal Stark protectors. We all know what happens to them. 

I really hope to see Bran and Ben interacting with each other in the books before I would had to see this on screen. It would have been so adorable. Do you remember how proud uncle Ben was when Bran could recount all the castles of the NW in the correct order? :crying:

The ghost castles, Old Nan had called them. Maester Luwin had once made Bran learn the names of every one of the forts along the Wall. That had been hard; there were nineteen of them all told, though no more than seventeen had ever been manned at any one time. At the feast in honor of King Robert's visit to Winterfell, Bran had recited the names for his uncle Benjen, east to west and then west to east. Benjen Stark had laughed and said, "You know them better than I do, Bran. Perhaps you should be First Ranger. I'll stay here in your place.

4 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Meera is one of the last few loyal Stark protectors. We all know what happens to them. 

I really hope to see Bran and Ben interacting with each other in the books before I would had to see this on screen. It would have been so adorable. Do you remember how proud uncle Ben was when Bran could recount all the castles of the NW in the correct order? :crying:

The ghost castles, Old Nan had called them. Maester Luwin had once made Bran learn the names of every one of the forts along the Wall. That had been hard; there were nineteen of them all told, though no more than seventeen had ever been manned at any one time. At the feast in honor of King Robert's visit to Winterfell, Bran had recited the names for his uncle Benjen, east to west and then west to east. Benjen Stark had laughed and said, "You know them better than I do, Bran. Perhaps you should be First Ranger. I'll stay here in your place.

:crying:

I hate this show. 

Archived