Roose Boltons Pet Leech

Your most-read authors

82 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2016 at 1:12 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Hold on... are we talking foreign language editions, because I'm pretty sure Martin hasn't written 18 books (there's 5 ASOIAF plus 2 Dreamsongs plus Dying of the Light plus Fevre Dream plus Tuf Voyaging plus the Armageddon Rag plus Windhaven... that only gets you to 12. Or does that include Wildcards?).

I just dumped the list from Goodreads.   Went back and looked, it includes the 5 Asoiaf books,   The 3 Dunk and Egg stories from Legends, Legends II, and Warrior anthologies, the Princess and the Queen from Dangerous Women,  as well as Tuff Voyaging, The Dying of the Light, Fevre Dream, Armageddon Rag, Windhaven, Hunter's Run, the Sandkings collection, The World of Ice and Fire Book, and the graphic novel for Doorways.     I haven't added Dreamsongs to myGoodreads, so could include that, but obviously be some duplicates with the short stories.

Without doing a precise count: Pratchett, Cornwell, Christie, Blyton, Dixon, O'Brien, Forester would be authors with the most novels.  If we add graphic novels, then Goscinny & Uderzo and Herge would be on the list too.  Tolkien, Wingrove, Erikson, Jordan, Abercrombie, Stephenson, possibly GRRM, would start to catch up on page count.  I'm probably overlooking many worthy authors. 

How can I be the only one who mentioned Franklin W Dixon?  We were all seven once. 

I hadn't thought about Franklin W Dixon first time I wrote something here. 

Does a psevdonym written by several authors count, though?

On 6/23/2016 at 11:31 AM, Hazardous said:

I hadn't thought about Franklin W Dixon first time I wrote something here. 

Does a psevdonym written by several authors count, though?

That's a good point.  Does the institution of an "author" qualify?  Robert Jordan is like the embryonic example of this, perhaps even Tolkien and Adams with their posthumous publications.  And a lot of high volume pulp authors almost certainly use some ghost writing contributors.

Jim Butcher and Mary Janice Davidson are among the few authors whose books I actually re-read repeatedly.

I think it's just the humor and lightness of the stories.

They're a comfort rather than an immersion.

Here are my picks. I group the authors by genre in a way which is sometimes only technically correct but I find convenient.

Sci fi: Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Philip K. Dick, George Orwell.

Fantasy: GRR Martin, JRR Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore

Horror: Edgar Allan Poe, Oscar Wilde, H.P. Lovecraft

Modern Literature: Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Postmodern literature: Bret Easton Ellis, Irvine Welsh, Will Self.

Social Realism: John Steinbeck.

Number one is JK Rowling with eight books (includes 'Casual Vacancy'), then comes GRRM, then Tolkien. Outside the realm of fantasy, maybe Khaled Hosseini.

Pratchett probably wins in number of books. Verne and Vance are probably quite high as well.

J. Nowee/P. Nowee  and Karl May are amongst the authors I read so early I really couldn't tell anymore.

I've read Greg Bear more than most anyone else, I think. David Brin is up there. So is Mieville. 

By number of books it's Salvatore, Wolfe, and Moorcock.  Erikson's probably up there for word count. 

I will admit that its Rev. Wilbert Awdry at 26. Granted it was all easy reads.

Trying to look back at other authors and I have

George R. R. Martin at 8

J.K. Rowling and Jeff Lindsay at 7

Neal Stephenson and Rick Riordan at 5

Daniel Abraham at 4 (with a 5th book waiting to be read).

I tend to go more for series then authors so there are a bunch that should be with the ones mentioned above.

I'm absolutely tearing through the Dresden Files re-read at the moment. In terms of number of novels read, Butcher has to be my top between that and the Alera Chronicles (which I really disliked, but might give a re-read to at some point). Feist has to be up there for simple number of books, I'd guess he's in the high teens for total count. 

For simple amount of time / consciousness invested, GRRM, Tolkien, and Jordan are surely at the top of my list.

Robin Hobb has jumped in third place, just behind Asimov (second) and Robert Jordan.

She'll lead my list by the time she'll finish the new Fitz and Fool book.

Off the top of my head? T. Pratchett, GRRM, S. Kenyon, J. Butcher, JRR Tolkien, P.  Briggs, F. Herbert, N. Singh, P. Dick.

I am so ashamed:

1. Jack Vance

2. Terry Pratchett

3. Patrick O'Brian

4. Enid Blyton

5. John Norman/JRR Tolkien

Pretty sure it's Patrick O'Brian or Elmore Leonard, maybe Stephen King

Edited by larrytheimp
But I wish it was Chuck Tingle