Your most-read authors

The Marquis de Leech

Jim Butcher and Mary Janice Davidson are among the few authors whose books I actually re-read repeatedly.

I think it's just the humor and lightness of the stories.

They're a comfort rather than an immersion.

Here are my picks. I group the authors by genre in a way which is sometimes only technically correct but I find convenient.

Sci fi: Neal Stephenson, William Gibson, Philip K. Dick, George Orwell.

Fantasy: GRR Martin, JRR Tolkien, Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore

Horror: Edgar Allan Poe, Oscar Wilde, H.P. Lovecraft

Modern Literature: Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Postmodern literature: Bret Easton Ellis, Irvine Welsh, Will Self.

Social Realism: John Steinbeck.

Pratchett probably wins in number of books. Verne and Vance are probably quite high as well.

J. Nowee/P. Nowee  and Karl May are amongst the authors I read so early I really couldn't tell anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I will admit that its Rev. Wilbert Awdry at 26. Granted it was all easy reads.

Trying to look back at other authors and I have

George R. R. Martin at 8

J.K. Rowling and Jeff Lindsay at 7

Neal Stephenson and Rick Riordan at 5

Daniel Abraham at 4 (with a 5th book waiting to be read).

I tend to go more for series then authors so there are a bunch that should be with the ones mentioned above.

I'm absolutely tearing through the Dresden Files re-read at the moment. In terms of number of novels read, Butcher has to be my top between that and the Alera Chronicles (which I really disliked, but might give a re-read to at some point). Feist has to be up there for simple number of books, I'd guess he's in the high teens for total count. 

For simple amount of time / consciousness invested, GRRM, Tolkien, and Jordan are surely at the top of my list.

• 5 weeks later...
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 10:49 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Without doing a precise count: Pratchett, Cornwell, Christie, Blyton, Dixon, O'Brien, Forester would be authors with the most novels.  If we add graphic novels, then Goscinny & Uderzo and Herge would be on the list too.  Tolkien, Wingrove, Erikson, Jordan, Abercrombie, Stephenson, possibly GRRM, would start to catch up on page count.  I'm probably overlooking many worthy authors. 

How can I be the only one who mentioned Franklin W Dixon?  We were all seven once. 

Given this forum, I would have expected Victor Appleton.  

• 1 year later...

I've read everything Nelson DeMille has ever written...  I just love the way he tells a story...  More than most in his genre, he tends not to make me roll my eyes as a Iear.... whereas, say, Clive Cussler makes me want to drink battery acid whenever he writes himself into his own stories... #WhatAHack .... DeMille's protagonists are all complete assholes, who you wind up loving despite their faults... plus he's a NYer... so there's that...

I've also read a shit ton of Stephen King --who is a genius, who doesn;t always appeal to me-- and Neil Gaiman ---who might be my favorite writer insofar as the way he paints a picture, and how utterly insane he is...

Archived