Who is going to be 1000th Lord Commander of NW?

Fearodh

Currently Jon was 998th LC until he gets stabbed. My guess is that next LC (number 999) will be someone from the mutineers (Alliser Thorne), but that person won't last long. Either the wildlings will see to that, or the White Walkers.

Then will come the time of the 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Of course, it is "just" a round number, still I believe it likely that this guy will be a savior. The 13th LC turned into the Nigth's King, so here bad number equals bad person.

For a long time I thought Jon would get his job back and as Azor Ahai reborn would lead Lightbringer (Night's Watch) into the battle against the darkness of White Walkers.

Yet I started to doubt that, as I believe it very likely that Jon will leave NW for good after his resurrection. He has died and his watch has ended. He will somehow learn about his parents and as Jon Targaryen he has something better to do than chill out with his black brothers.

So if Jon won't be 1000th LC, who will? Stannis is a possibility, if the Targaryens reclaim their throne and allow him to take the black. I have my doubts though, Stannis might sooner die than take the black.

Benjen Stark is still out there somewhere. His return might be pivotal. New recruits might be on the list. Jaime Lannister comes to mind, having mocked Jon for his decision to take the black early in the series. To repent for his sins and restoring his honor, it might be a way. Or Mance Rayder could rejoin this order, he has shown that he is a capable leader and he knows lots about wights and dead things.

So what do you think? Is the number of relevance and if yes, who will it be?

5 hours ago, Fearodh said:

Currently Jon was 998th LC until he gets stabbed. My guess is that next LC (number 999) will be someone from the mutineers (Alliser Thorne), but that person won't last long. Either the wildlings will see to that, or the White Walkers.

I agree that it may be held by a mutineer, but was Thorne among them in the books? My memory is a little hazy, but I seem to remember that he had been sent away at the time. Still, I can definitely see Marsh taking the role for a couple of chapters.

5 hours ago, Fearodh said:

So what do you think? Is the number of relevance and if yes, who will it be?

Jon Stark-Targaeryen. After being back (supposedly) he will settle things in WF and come back and rebuilt the watch after the great war of ice & fire.

Or their won't be any commander cause the others get completly destroyed and their is no need for a new night's watch.

Alliser wasn't among muteeners in books. Jon send him for ranging beyond the wall. More likely that wildlings wild act quickly and kill murderers of jon. After all in books many wildlings were present during reading of pink letter. They have number advantage. 

I thinnk it will be funny if mallister will be elected. He said to Jon that he will not live enough to see new commander. And... BAM! Jon dies after half year. Looks like you were WRONG!

Other plausible options are: Othell Yarwyck, Edd Tollett, Duncan Liddle, Iron Emmett and Glendon Hewett. Cotter Pyke also would be a good option if he wasn't dying in hardhome at this point.

5 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

If Sam stays with NW, I'm 99.9% it's going to be him.

He will be the Measter, don't think he can hold both offices. All of this assuming there is still a wall to guard.

Ser Jorah Morrnont is a possibility, if he ever hears his fathers dying wish. Another possible outcome is that the 999th Lord Commander will be the last.

11 hours ago, Fearodh said:

Jaime Lannister comes to mind, having mocked Jon for his decision to take the black early in the series.

Sorry, can't see it. Jamie's redemption arc is tied to restoring the prestige and honour of the Kingsguard. If he survives till the end he may remain as Lord Commander to however sits the Iron Throne.

i don´t think theres time for two elections of the NW.
 The wall will fall under the watch of the 999th LC: Edd from House Tollet: "When all is darkest" (Long Night, wink wink)

“If they choose wisely they won’t be choosing me,” moaned Dolorous Edd.

“Your name has been put forth as Lord Commander, Jon.”

That was so absurd Jon had to smile. “By who?” he said, looking for his friends. This had to be one of Pyp’s japes, surely. But Pyp shrugged at him, and Grenn shook his head. It was Dolorous Edd Tollett who stood. “By me. Aye, it’s a terrible cruel thing to do to a friend, but better you than me.”

“I had a frightening dream last night, m’lord,” Dolorous Edd confessed. “You were my steward, fetching my food and cleaning up my leavings. I was lord commander, with never a moment’s peace.”

Jon did not smile. “Your nightmare, my life.”

“It was a relief to see that horn burn, my lord,” Edd said. “Just last night I dreamt I was pissing off the Wall when someone decided to give the horn a toot.

“We’ll defend the Wall to the last man,” said Cotter Pyke.

“Probably me,” said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned tone.

I think Denys Mallister is the highest ranking member of the Watch with Jon and Cotter Pike down and Bowen Marsh having murdered the LC. 

So I think he'll at least be acting LC. It's between him and Edd, IMO. 

Maybe Thorne seizes power but he won´t be elected, so he´s not actually going to be Lord Commander. I believe the 999th will be the last LC, and it´s propably going to be Denys Mallister. Everything in me wants Edd to be the last man standing and become the inofficial Lord Commander Nr. 1000, but thats propably too much to ask.

I'd say Bowen Marsh takes over in the immediate aftermath, then upon Jon's resurrection he becomes both the 998th and 1000th, LC, Grover Cleveland-style.  he'll stay long enough to execute the traitors, then peace out to wreck Ramsay's shit.

After Jon leaves, my guess is Iron Emmett comes over from Long Barrow, with Edd as First Steward.  Cotter Pyke is probably dead at Hardhome, and Denys Mallister is busy fighting the Weeper's forces at the Bridge of Skulls part 2, so he can't really take a time out to go run for LC.  

Maybe the "death" of Jon Snow in the books is COMPLETELY different in the books, like sort of like how people "die" but George gives them another chapter with a "got ya" feeling.

Perhaps all of the speculation revolving around Jon's "death" in the books is what inspired D&D to do the show how they did. Perhaps we will read something utterly different. 

My bet is nobody. However the war with the Others gets resolved the NW will no longer have purpose when it ends so there won't be a new LC. Dolorous Ed may take over interim but I seriously doubt that the brothers will have the time or the inclination to assemble for another election making Jon the last.

6 hours ago, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

i don´t think theres time for two elections of the NW.
 The wall will fall under the watch of the 999th LC: Edd from House Tollet: "When all is darkest" (Long Night, wink wink)

“If they choose wisely they won’t be choosing me,” moaned Dolorous Edd.

“Your name has been put forth as Lord Commander, Jon.”

That was so absurd Jon had to smile. “By who?” he said, looking for his friends. This had to be one of Pyp’s japes, surely. But Pyp shrugged at him, and Grenn shook his head. It was Dolorous Edd Tollett who stood. “By me. Aye, it’s a terrible cruel thing to do to a friend, but better you than me.”

“I had a frightening dream last night, m’lord,” Dolorous Edd confessed. “You were my steward, fetching my food and cleaning up my leavings. I was lord commander, with never a moment’s peace.”

Jon did not smile. “Your nightmare, my life.”

“It was a relief to see that horn burn, my lord,” Edd said. “Just last night I dreamt I was pissing off the Wall when someone decided to give the horn a toot.

“We’ll defend the Wall to the last man,” said Cotter Pyke.

“Probably me,” said Dolorous Edd, in a resigned tone.

Haha, nice one. :P

15 hours ago, Mick of House Guinness said:

Ser Jorah Morrnont is a possibility, if he ever hears his fathers dying wish. Another possible outcome is that the 999th Lord Commander will be the last.

I think the 1000th will come after the killers of Jon either flee or are killed or step down.

But if Jon is resurrected should not he be Lord Commander? If he leaves why can not the rest do so to? If i were a member of the night's watch and the lord commander or former lord commander left i would do the same. It is a bore to be at the wall and they are the first line infront of the whitewalkers.

15 hours ago, Mick of House Guinness said:

Sorry, can't see it. Jamie's redemption arc is tied to restoring the prestige and honour of the Kingsguard. If he survives till the end he may remain as Lord Commander to however sits the Iron Throne.

Maybe Jaime's so called redemptions arc will be tied to being lord of Casterly Rock instead of the Kingsguard.

Archived