Brazil's President Impeached... Trial for removal from office to follow

Brazil's Senate voted to impeach President Dilma Rousseff citing corruption and economic decay as the rational for the move.  The vote was 55-22 in favor of impeachment.  She is calling this a modern day coup d'etat and her supporters are threatening mass protests and strikes over this move.  The article I link to below suggests polls show majority support for removal of Rousseff.  This sounds like interesting times for Brazil as the Summer Olypmics are coming up:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/brazils-senate-impeaches-president-rousseff-trial-ahead/ar-BBsTRq8?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=msnHomepage

My first thought when I heard was a relief that finally the media here in Bulgaria will stop parroting how great it is that the daughter of a Bulgarian immigrant become the president of a huge country like Brazil and present her like some sort of a saint for that silly reason.

I would love to hear from Brazilian posters about how they view the whole thing.  It seems like a lot of the American press view this very cynically, that Rousseff's claim that this is a power grab actually has a lot of merit, and that virtually everyone involved in removing her from office is under investigation for corruption, and are seeking to create a coalition to kill said investigations.  Which is very sad. 

Rousseff on the other hand seems to be not involved in the corruption scandal, but has been an ineffective and very very unpopular president, which makes it easier for for her opponents to go after her with trumped up charges.

But I am not an expert, would love to hear more from people who are actually there or have been following this closely. 

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone know who conducts the trial for removal from office and who acts as the jury?

Best I could find:

Vice President  Michel Temer  now takes over for up to six months pending a Senate trial that could result in Rousseff's permanent removal. That would require approval by two-thirds of the Senate, or 54 senators. If she is found guilty, Temer would likely stay on as president until 2018, when Rousseff's term expires. She would not be jailed, but banned from seeking the presidency for eight years. No date for the trial has been set.

Her recourse:

Rousseff has repeatedly vowed to fight what she characterizes as a modern-day coup d'état. Speaking Thursday after the impeachment vote, Rousseff said she would use "all legal means" in that effort.

In reality, however, Rousseff has few options. Appeals to the Supreme Federal Tribunal, the country's highest court, have failed. Last month, she said she might take her case to Mercosur, the South American trade bloc. However, it's highly unlike that members of Mercosur, which depend greatly on Brazil, Latin America's largest economy, would risk alienating the incoming president.

So basically if the Brazilian Senate decides to proceed with a Senate Trial, and the vote count doesn't change, she will be fully removed from office.

Also, IMO the Olympics need to be cancelled or relocated. If people from all around the world go to Brazil, catch the Zika virus, and then return home, we could have a global health crisis. Which is a lot bigger deal than the Brazilian government crumbling under the weight of wide spread corruption charges.

Brazilian here. Yes, in most normal situations someone that broke the law in the way she did (and yes, she did break a law) wouldn't be impeached, but her lack of popularity, disastrous management of the economy and lack of ployic habilitated made that a reality. The Supreme Court( most members were nominated by Lula and Dilma) has verified every step of the process and found it legal. About the process now, the Senate, now presided by the president of the Supreme Court, judges Dilma. Most people support the impeachment (69% in the last pool). The impeachment may be unusual in the way it happened, but it was legal and definitely not a coup.

edit: Also, she isn't corrupt, but she tried to shield Lula, who certainly is, from investigation, and now the attorney-general, nominated by her,has started to investigate her for obstruction of justice.

Archived