Access to site at work, not at home

OberynMormont

Hi there,

I cannot access this forum at all at home....it keep on saying that I don't have permission to view the site, and gives me an error of  2S160/4 .

I have tried to contact the people in charge, but no answer.  Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks!

That particular code means an IP has been banned in the Invision anti spam blacklist; either your machine was compromised or—if you're on a home network where the IP rotates around, as with most cable/DSL providers—a previous person on your IP had a compromised machine.  That machine was then stuck into a net to work as a proxy for people who would try to go around and register on Invision sites, then immediately post 40 'mail-order Russian bride' or 'best video download' or 'cheap website design' ads wherever they could.  Once enough Invision sites report that IP as a spammer, Invision's mothership adds the IP to the list of bad net citizens, and all Invision boards then reject that IP address (so the spammer is cut off from Invision boards as a whole).

The spammer moves along to a new compromised machine as their proxy, thus changing their IP, and whoever inherits the now-tainted IP gets shafted, because anything linked to the Invision mothership figures they're a spammer and blocks them.

What you'll need to do is get your external home IP address (just Google 'What Is My IP' and hit that site once you are at home), then send that to one of the admins and we'll see about adding an override.

(You may also want to do a malware scan of your home machine just to make sure it wasn't you that was the compromised one, and was someone else who had your home IP previously.)

On May 13, 2016 at 0:23 PM, OberynMormont said:

Thanks Sparks!  I'll do that when I get home.  It's strange, cause I USED to be able to get on at home......oh well.  

Is there a specific email address I should send to?

Sorry, it's been a little insane for me at work, so I fell behind on reading the forums.  (But hey, we stayed up pretty well during the episode!) 

I would toss the IP to both me and Ran in PM here, that's probably quickest.  Reference this thread, so Ran knows why he's getting emailed a random IP (in case he hasn't glanced at this thread). :)

Also, if you used to be able to log on from home and can't now, chances are your ISP rotated dynamic IPs around, and you used to be on a different one but now hit a tainted/burned/blacklisted one.

14 minutes ago, Sparks said:

Sorry, it's been a little insane for me at work, so I fell behind on reading the forums.  (But hey, we stayed up pretty well during the episode!) 

I would toss the IP to both me and Ran in PM here, that's probably quickest.  Reference this thread, so Ran knows why he's getting emailed a random IP (in case he hasn't glanced at this thread). :)

Also, if you used to be able to log on from home and can't now, chances are your ISP rotated dynamic IPs around, and you used to be on a different one but now hit a tainted/burned/blacklisted one.

OT but had to say, it was super smooth during the last ep, thanks heaps for all the hard work, Sparks! :bowdown:

Archived