Who becomes King if Tommen is killed in this ep?

Drogo_1

8 hours ago, Tianzi said:

Well, they had characters bitching about the inheritance of both locations, so it would be sort of nice. Also, this was only an example of how they don't have answers for their won verse's issues and fail to paint the bigger picture. It's similar with the kingdom as a whole, nothing about Dorne, nothing about the rebelling North. Screw the political situation, it's moving o' chair time. And some incest jokes.

Yeah, you do have a point. They did indeed sort of simply the bigger picture. Trying to think of a show that did well portraying the political background... I guess I don't watch enough shows to be able to think of any. 

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced that Margaery suddenly was pregnant all this time if Tommen suddenly died.

Agreed. I feel like they made a point of having Margery explain to her ladies in waiting how much her and Tommen where getting it on. 

54 minutes ago, MoonWoman said:

Agreed. I feel like they made a point of having Margery explain to her ladies in waiting how much her and Tommen where getting it on. 

Yes. Though the point I was getting at, is even if she wasn't, a pregnancy would be arranged very suddenly I expect. The math wouldn't quite add up, but if she returned to Highgarden to have the baby, that could be covered up easy enough.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Yes. Though the point I was getting at, is even if she wasn't, a pregnancy would be arranged very suddenly I expect. The math wouldn't quite add up, but if she returned to Highgarden to have the baby, that could be covered up easy enough.

Tommen’s heir de jure probably doesn't matter, unless she has dragons. Power resides where men believe it resides.  Even if you could find a blood claimant, who is going to believe it or put up with it?

Kevan is currently Hand of the King.  Cersei is not King Tomm’s regent, especially now that the little tyke has had his way with Queen Margie.  

Since Cersei’s been disgraced by the Faith and is currently awaiting trial for Targaryen-style lovin’ having begotten said kinglet, the small fellers aren't gonna put up with the Lannister witch against grabbing the reins of power.

26 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Tommen’s heir de jure probably doesn't matter, unless she has dragons. Power resides where men believe it resides.  Even if you could find a blood claimant, who is going to believe it or put up with it?

Kevan is currently Hand of the King.  Cersei is not King Tomm’s regent, especially now that the little tyke has had his way with Queen Margie.  

Since Cersei’s been disgraced by the Faith and is currently awaiting trial for Targaryen-style lovin’ having begotten said kinglet, the small fellers aren't gonna put up with the Lannister witch against grabbing the reins of power.

I'm not sure what you're really trying to argue... But regardless who would believe or put up with the son of an incestuous relationship without a drop of royal blood on the throne? Yet this has been the situation since season 1. People are going to "believe" whatever is in their benefit to believe. In the hypothetical that Tommen dies, which we're discussing, it would benefit both the Lannisters and Tyrells if Margaery were conveniently pregnant as it would keep their claim to power in tact. So that's what would happen and their followers would believe it. It was enough for Joffrey, it was enough for Tommen, it would be enough for this scenario as well.

5 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

In the hypothetical that Tommen dies, which we're discussing, it would benefit both the Lannisters and Tyrells if Margaery were conveniently pregnant as it would keep their claim to power in tact. So that's what would happen and their followers would believe it. It was enough for Joffrey, it was enough for Tommen, it would be enough for this scenario as well.

So, anybody auditioned for Moonboy yet? : – )

Oh! I miss Moonboy. Damn.

I think Tommen will die, not until the end of the season though, and I think KL will be in chaos also. So, no one. Guess that could be No One. She's supposed to marry a high lord and have sons who are knights, princes and lords, right?

So all hail Queen Arya.

Or Jaime, if that fails.

In the show? Cersei probably declares herself queen. In all probability so does Margaery, and there are now two rival queens chasing the throne.

In the books, if Tommen dies? Myrcella is still alive. And if Myrcella dies? Stannis is also still alive, although for how long is anyone's guess... but if he outlives both Myrcella and Tommen, then nobody except Daenerys and Aegon could pretend that his claim isn't the legitimate one. Not, of course, that that stopped Renly, or would gain Stannis much popularity, certainly not among the lords of the realm.

As things are, though, in the books, the appearance of Aegon, whether real or fake (and if fake, then he's a good enough fake that he may well be of Targaryen descent, the popular theory is through the Blackfyres) provides a credible opponent to both Cersei's children (and Cersei herself) and, should she finally return to Westeros, Daenerys herself. An alliance with Arianne Martell, cementing the Martell / Targaryen connection (even if Aegon is a fake) would only strengthen this claim. Euron has ambitions of his own to seize the crown by force, as well...

46 minutes ago, Lord of Bay Ridge said:

Gendry would become king

After years of rowing he must be as strong as Robert was at the time of the rebellion. Give him a suit or armor and a warhammer and he'll sit the Iron Throne easily.

But she is Queen by marriage, not by birth, and therefore technically her claim is terminated the moment she is widowed or divorced... although she will be accorded a certain level of respect if she is the mother of a potential heir, which might allow her to be considered as a regent through the minority of her child (which is of course the same justification that Cersei has used for ruling through Tommen.)

Of course, in the books, Tommen is younger than on the show and nowhere near capable of sleeping with Margaery yet, so if Margaery does have a child, it isn't his, and in fact it would be an obvious disgrace for her rather than a potential claim.

On 14/5/2016 at 5:43 AM, YOVMO said:

But remember Wolfgangll, With all of the Targaryen's dead or fled Ned contends that Robert was king not by virtue of the Rebellion, but because of his Targaryen blood. Instead of looking for the next legitimate Baratheon you should look for the legitimate Targ if Tommen is dead. Taking Aegon out of the question 1) because I don't buy his lineage and more importantly 2) because no one knows about him yet, the next in line of succession would be the highest born person with the most Targaryen blood.

Good point, but when Robert seized the Throne, he do it in the aftermath of a Civil War and a lot of Houses had support the Targaryens. Using Robert's dragon blood was necessary political move at the time, but it he really didnt't had any legitimacy to throne. He conquer it by force. This is the Stag Crown, not the Dragon crown which it rightfully belongs to Daenarys (last known legitimate child of Aerys II, unless someone else pops out).

The Stag Crown should pass to someone with Baratheons blood, and the Estermonts are their closest relatives.

20 hours ago, WolfgangII said:

Good point, but when Robert seized the Throne, he do it in the aftermath of a Civil War and a lot of Houses had support the Targaryens. Using Robert's dragon blood was necessary political move at the time, but it he really didnt't had any legitimacy to throne. He conquer it by force. This is the Stag Crown, not the Dragon crown which it rightfully belongs to Daenarys (last known legitimate child of Aerys II, unless someone else pops out).

The Stag Crown should pass to someone with Baratheons blood, and the Estermonts are their closest relatives.

And who's going to support them?

I think it's between Margery's son, if a plausible one can be conceived somewhere, or Dany, if she marries someone of importance (at this point, Loras or Robin). She is a Targaryen after all, a woman, so her husband can expect to rule, and one with dragons at it. If a Great Council is called, it makes sense to invite her or even appoint her, if she forges the proper alliances, and she Tyrion to advice her at that.

On 5/14/2016 at 2:41 PM, VVSINGOFTHECROSS said:

That would be terrible, and shit on so many levels.

I reckon this isn't going to happen very soon (Tommen dying) although I think it will at some stage but yes, likelihood IMHO is that the Faith Militant would use the opportunity and the tensions between Tyrells and Lannisters to declare themselves rulers and, frankly yeah, I think I would rather have (corrupt as both houses are) the Tyrrells and Lannisters than the Faith Militant lol

Archived