Which houses would be Dany's allies in Westeros?

blckp

28 minutes ago, Bright Blue Eyes said:

Dorne hates Dany, after what happened with Quentyn. And it will ally with Aegon in any case. And the friends in the Reach are friends of the Golden Company, not Dany's.

That really depends on the story that gets back to Doran.

In any case I'd suspect some of the regions might be more splintered in their support for the various factions.

The Tyrell's have thrown their lot in with the Lannisters and that is unlikely to change unless something happens to Margery although we are expected to believe there is already disloyalty with in their ranks, but who knows some may side with the Golden Company whilst others might be receptive to Dany's faction although a potential alliance with the Greyjoy's could destroy any chances of support from the reach,

The Arryn's and the vale are so far neutral and outside of the conflict and could ally with any faction.

The Riverlands are a complete mess and various lords could sign with any of the factions, really it depends on where Dany makes landfall and which faction Lannister, fAegon or Dany is the biggest immediate threat to their lands likely they'll side with which ever faction is fielding the most strength in their vicinity.

The North really depends on the outcome of the Stannis / Bolton / Stark conflict, either it becomes a 4th faction in the event of a Stannis victory or in the event of a Bolton or Stark victory it become open for an alliance. The Starks are more likely to be able to form an alliance with Dany's faction than they are the others fAegon is more likely to hold a grudge for Robert's Rebellion especially with the council of Jon Con, aligning with the Lannisters isn't an option for obviously reasons that leaves Dany who has advisors that give her a less biased view on the Starks. The Boltons really have an open field for alliances, they are currently aligned with the Lannisters but can see them switching sides to one of the Targaryen factions if it suits them. Northern involvement would also depend on what is happening North of the Wall.

Who will be Dany's allies?  Who will pledge themselves and bend their knees?

All of them, except for the following:

1. Lannisters - obviously
  2. Baratheons - obviously
  3. Edmure Tully - he no longer counts, he's a little fish, it doesn't matter
  4. Robyn Arryn - he might if he had a choice, but Littlefinger will never side with the rightful ruler because he wants to prop a usurper
  5. Boltons - their power is tied to the Lannisters
  6. Starks - only because there will be a conflict between Fire and Ice at some point

Simply being the legitimate Targaryen and one who is in possession of 3 dragons will win over the majority of the houses.  Just about all of the smallfolk will flock to her side just because they're tired of the mess that the Starks, Lannisters, and Baratheons have made. 

21 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

When Dany lands with dragons and a massive army, no one is going to side with her? That flies in the face of what we've seen in the series thus far. No conflict has ever been that absolute. Even in the War of Five Kings there were people that fought for one or more king or didn't fight at all.

With massive army of unsullied, dothraki and formr slaves she will hardly find popularity in westeros.

War of Five Kings is biggest civil war in history of westeros. Every region except vale and dorne took side or another and other regions are exhausted after long fight (except reach). Half of north fight for stannis and other for boltons(at least in theory), riverlands burn, westermen took heavy loses against robb and stormlands is diveded between supporters of stannis, tommen and aegon. There is also Euron who want to use dany's dragons for himself.

1 minute ago, Lord High Papal said:

All of them, except for the following:

1. Lannisters - obviously
  2. Baratheons - obviously
  3. Edmure Tully - he no longer counts, he's a little fish, it doesn't matter
  4. Robyn Arryn - he might if he had a choice, but Littlefinger will never side with the rightful ruler because he wants to prop a usurper
  5. Boltons - their power is tied to the Lannisters
  6. Starks - only because there will be a conflict between Fire and Ice at some point

Simply being the legitimate Targaryen and one who is in possession of 3 dragons will win over the majority of the houses.  Just about all of the smallfolk will flock to her side just because they're tired of the mess that the Starks, Lannisters, and Baratheons have made. 

This actually leaves noone. Daenerys waited too long and now aegon vi took her place as savior of realm. He is brave, well-educated and looks good on a horse. He also isn't lost in hatred as much as dany ( usurper dogs stuff ). And smallfolk do not care really much about reigning dynasty as long as they have peace. If Dany will attack westeros they will only suffer again from war.

1 minute ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

With massive army of unsullied, dothraki and formr slaves she will hardly find popularity in westeros.

War of Five Kings is biggest civil war in history of westeros. Every region except vale and dorne took side or another and other regions are exhausted after long fight (except reach). Half of north fight for stannis and other for boltons(at least in theory), riverlands burn, westermen took heavy loses against robb and stormlands is diveded between supporters of stannis, tommen and aegon. There is also Euron who want to use dany's dragons for himself.

She won't be very popular with many, I agree. But to suggest she'll have no allies is quite a stretch. That army she has might encourage a fair few to bend the knee. Not everyone is going to believe Aegon is truly a Targaryen and that might push some to support Dany.

No matter what war you look at, it was never been simply this guy vs. that guy.

1 hour ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

It´s barely a popularity contest. An united and harmonious Westeros could look at these foreigners with spite, but divided like they are (and depending on where Daenarys lands, like a possibly leaderless Storm Lands, or even with a romantic alliance with Jon Snow), they would probably be terrified, and it might again just take one significant addition of Westerosi to her ranks for no one to be able to even consider not bending the knee.

No one but the Dornish. And then history repeats itself. That would be beautiful.

2 hours ago, The Ice Wolf of Loki said:

The Starks are more likely to be able to form an alliance with Dany's faction than they are the others fAegon is more likely to hold a grudge for Robert's Rebellion especially with the council of Jon Con, aligning with the Lannisters isn't an option for obviously reasons that leaves Dany who has advisors that give her a less biased view on the Starks.

Acrually Aegon has Varys who might have thought him to listen over years. I guess Aegon will know Starks had nothing to do with his death. A Barry told Dany and she just wont listen to him. She has no expirience, she is angry, vengeful and thinks dfagons give her right to do everything she wants.

52 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

Not everyone is going to believe Aegon is truly a Targaryen and that might push some to support Dany.

Why not? He does look Targaryen, he is led by JonCon who was also suposed to be dead. I dont see why would anyone doubt his heritage.

Just now, dariopatke said:

Acrually Aegon has Varys who might have thought him to listen over years. I guess Aegon will know Starks had nothing to do with his death. A Barry told Dany and she just wont listen to him. She has no expirience, she is angry, vengeful and thinks dfagons give her right to do everything she wants.

Why not? He does look Targaryen, he is led by JonCon who was also suposed to be dead. I dont see why would anyone doubt his heritage.

Actually, Varys has had no direct hand in Aegon's upbringing. He was never there to teach any lessons to Aegon. That was JonCon, Haldon and the rest of that group.

Dany does listen to Barristan. She knows her father was the Mad King. She's just not ready to hear about all of his atrocities. Not yet, at least.

As for experience... she has more than Aegon. She's been a ruler for several years now. She's not angry, she's not vengeful, and if she thought her dragons gave her the right to do anything then she wouldn't have locked them up. She's never used her dragons as justification for her actions.

There are people that already doubt Aegon's legitimacy. Tyrion is one of them. Even if he is Rhaegar's son, not everyone is going to believe that story.

22 minutes ago, RoamingRonin said:

Actually, Varys has had no direct hand in Aegon's upbringing. He was never there to teach any lessons to Aegon. That was JonCon, Haldon and the rest of that group.

Dany does listen to Barristan. She knows her father was the Mad King. She's just not ready to hear about all of his atrocities. Not yet, at least.

As for experience... she has more than Aegon. She's been a ruler for several years now. She's not angry, she's not vengeful, and if she thought her dragons gave her the right to do anything then she wouldn't have locked them up. She's never used her dragons as justification for her actions.

There are people that already doubt Aegon's legitimacy. Tyrion is one of them. Even if he is Rhaegar's son, not everyone is going to believe that story.

He didnt but Illirio did amd they work closely, doubtless they will need support of house Stark eventually and I think this is why Varys wanted Ned to live and recued Arya via Yoren.

And she will be less and less willing to listen the more power she gets, This is just how human mind works. 

Aegon knows how to rule, Dany has no clue, she can not hold one city and yet she thinks about Westeros, and tell me what haopens when Barry dies? And he just might die in siege of Meereen. Maybe Tyrion becomes her Hand which is another spiteful little creature full of hate. Great team. And lets not forget Daario and Dotrakhi. 

She locked them up because she couldnt control them anymore. She used Drogon to burn Kraznys and comit savages in Astapor and I cant remember did she eat wih them? Because she even may have broken guest right, if not what did 12 yo boy do?

And yet Arianne mistakes regular Lyseni to Targaryen. With couple of great victories people will cheer his name and wouldnt doubt his heritage. I sure hope Blackfyre isnt lost and he gets it.

2 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

She won't be very popular with many, I agree. But to suggest she'll have no allies is quite a stretch. That army she has might encourage a fair few to bend the knee. Not everyone is going to believe Aegon is truly a Targaryen and that might push some to support Dany.

No matter what war you look at, it was never been simply this guy vs. that guy.

Still noone important.

1 hour ago, NutBurz said:

It´s barely a popularity contest. An united and harmonious Westeros could look at these foreigners with spite, but divided like they are (and depending on where Daenarys lands, like a possibly leaderless Storm Lands, or even with a romantic alliance with Jon Snow), they would probably be terrified, and it might again just take one significant addition of Westerosi to her ranks for no one to be able to even consider not bending the knee.

Problem is that Dany likes executing people what she dislikes. 

1 hour ago, RoamingRonin said:

Then when? If she wants to rule westeros she should learn to swallow he pride and listen to bitter truth.

If she wasn't vengeful she wouldn't crucify these random slavers.

Aegon is said to be grown to rule (at least varys says so, and we have no evidence that he lied to kevan), while daenerys was raised by viserys who is moron. 

Tyrion is at this point only one.

Very hard to say right now, but those people who say "none" fool themselves. It makes no sense from a literary perspective (because without allies in Westeros Daenerys is toast, and early - before she have had any impact on Westeros and I doubt GRRM is such a lousy writer to create a character who will completely fail long-run, without even some successes) and it makes no sense from a logical perspective (Because there will always be houses who are displeased with status quo, especially after say losing a war and land, and are willing to back a new horse in order to get them back. The Peakes backed many Blackfyre rebellions - not just one so revanschism is strong in Westeros, even when it would be more tactically prudent to suck it up and curry favors with the new regime/power).

So unless GRRM is the greatest troll ever, Daenerys will have allies. Where and how many - well that is another question, which will depend on the popularity of the current regime. If Daenerys goes up against Aegon and say Westerlands or The Reach got hit hard by JonCon in the wars before that, their support is almost a given.

A lot depends on what happens with Aegon and with the battle for the North.  Both of these campaigns are ongoing with uncertain outcomes.  I have always been skeptical that Aegon plays a really significant role.  Even if he does, it is not automatic that he will be opposed to Daenerys.  They could potentially be allies.

The Starks and the Northern lords are logical potential supporters, given their hated for the current regime.  This would be especially true if Stannis is weakened or loses support.  If the Starks support her, that would likely bring in the Riverlands, who are mostly big Stark fans.

Dorne is a possibility, depending on how things go with Aegon and what info they get about Quentyn.  Given their past support for the Targaryens, houses such as Tyrell, Mathis,and Tarly could be among her supporters.

I can see scenarios ranging from extensive support (alliances with Aegon and/or the Starks), and almost none (opposition from Aegon and Stannis in control of the North with the Starks out of the picture)  We'll have to see.

With regards to her current activities:  She was unable to effectively control Meereen, but I doubt anyone could have done so, at lest without harsher and more punitive measure than even she was wiling to consider.  I actually expect Barristan and Tyrion to do no better than she did, and that Meereen will ultimately be lost.  I think this will force her to head to Westeros, albeit with a largely foreign army.  How much support she has in Westeros will largely depend on what happens there in the meantime, and possibly on whether she is able to send envoys ahead, and whether thy are successful. 

9 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

Very hard to say right now, but those people who say "none" fool themselves. It makes no sense from a literary perspective (because without allies in Westeros Daenerys is toast, and early - before she have had any impact on Westeros and I doubt GRRM is such a lousy writer to create a character who will completely fail long-run, without even some successes) and it makes no sense from a logical perspective (Because there will always be houses who are displeased with status quo, especially after say losing a war and land, and are willing to back a new horse in order to get them back. The Peakes backed many Blackfyre rebellions - not just one so revanschism is strong in Westeros, even when it would be more tactically prudent to suck it up and curry favors with the new regime/power).

So unless GRRM is the greatest troll ever, Daenerys will have allies. Where and how many - well that is another question, which will depend on the popularity of the current regime. If Daenerys goes up against Aegon and say Westerlands or The Reach got hit hard by JonCon in the wars before that, their support is almost a given.

Exactly.

A Targaryen dragonlord lands in Westeros with a massive army and receives no support? It defies logic. People will flock to her just because she has dragons. They may not like her or want her but like Torrhen Stark, they'll bend the knee rather than be destroyed.

Depends.... I think that the coming war between fAegon and Dany will be a mix of (the Dance of Dragons and Aegon's Conquest aswell as Aegon the unworthy and the Blackfyres)

My assumptions in the case of paralells: "some characters have multiple paralells"

Aegon's Conquest:

Daenerys Stormborn-Aegon the Conquror

Tyrion-Visenya

Daenerys?-Rhaenys "im not sure" "I realy hope it is not Jon Snow"

Petyr Baelish-Harren Hoare

Jaime Lannister-Loren Lannister

Shireen Baratheon-Argella Durrandon "I'm leaning towards Shireen, but Myrcella is a possibility allthou a small one"

Stannis Baratheon-Argilac the Arrogant

Dance of Dragons:

Daenerys Stormborn-Rhaneyra Targaryen "Starts out innocent and well liked but will go down as a tyrant"

fAegon Targaryen/Aegon Blackfyre-Aegon the Second

Jon Connington-Borros Baratheon

Jon Snow-Cregan Stark "Will go south inorder to force the south into peace inorder to focus on whitewalkers"

Barristan Selmy-Criston Cole "the Kingmaker must be someone close to Daenerys"

Varys or Petyr Baelish-Larys Strong

Aegon the UNworthy and the Blackfyres:

Robert Baratheon-Aegon the Unworthy

Jaime Lannister-Aemon the Dragonknight 

Cersei Lannister-Naerys Targaryen 

Lancel Lannister-Baelor the Blessed "Will save Lancel"

Tommen Baratheon-Daeron the Good "I don't think he will die, he will marry Daenerys Stormborn's daughter, who Dany will giving birth too"

Myrcella Baratheon-Daenerys Martell "Quentyn is dead and Arianne i think is doomed"

Edric Storm-Daemon Blackfyre

Politics

Daenerys will not bring a huge army she will gain allys in Westeros and many free cities will work against her.

Vale: Littlefinger will lose Sweetrobin and also Harrold Hardyng will die. And Bronze Yohn and Co will chase him out. Tyrion/Visenya will let Sweetrobin have a ride on his dragon for Sweetrobin declaring for Daenerys.

Cracklaw Point: I think Tyrion will get their alliggance similarly to how Visenya did it

Dragonstone: Will be her first conquest

Masseyhook: Will swear fealty after Daenerys takes Dragonstone

General Crownlands: Will be split with the northern Crownlands supporting Dany (Rooks Roost and the Antlers)

Riverlands: Riverlords will rebel against Pertyr Baelish led by a Tully, and swear fealty too Daenerys

Westerlands: Jaime will be captured and swear fealty too Daenerys besides i don't think the Lannisters will be happy about fAegon. Tyron will also be more focused on Westeros in general and less on Casterly Rock. Tyrion is a Lannister and is dedicated to them he will try to get the lannisters on his side and on the winning side. After killing tywin and supossedly killing joffrey he gave up his claim to CR. I also think he is Aerys bastard, that the mad king unable to resist and wait with having sec raped her and finally had her, this is why he lost respect for Tywin becosue he raped tywins wife"

Reach: Since Willas is a cripple i think he will survive and swear fealty. This region will be split i think

Stormlands: Will declare for fAegon but lose against Daenerys Army, but a maid of House Baratheon will be married to a supporter of Dany

Dorne: Maybe she will not get it, or they will get it since Myrcella is married to Trystane? i have no idea about this one

Iron Isles: Dany will have a falling out with the ironborn so they will be her foes, she will defeat them on the battlefield. The Iron isles might even be given to the Lannisters and the Ironborn nobility expeled. I think this is foreshadowed by Asha wanting to settle ironborn in the north (sea drakon point) and mentions that the people of cape craken have more incommon with ironborn than other northmen. The Iron Isles will be colonised by faith of the seven westermen this will also make Tyrion and by extension dany more popular in the westerlands or atleest tolerated.

5 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

When Dany lands with dragons and a massive army, no one is going to side with her? That flies in the face of what we've seen in the series thus far. No conflict has ever been that absolute. Even in the War of Five Kings there were people that fought for one or more king or didn't fight at all.

Agreed. At the very least the pressence of her dragons and army could sway, at the very least, a few houses to her cause upon landing. Like Ronin said, bannermen and houses flocked between kings during the war, so why can't that happen in Dany's case? If a new claimant to the throne comes about, there will still be houses that will aim to use the moment for their own ends. But Dany still finds herself between a rock and a hard place in any case...

None really, by the time she got her ass from mereen to westeros, the golden company diplomats would already secure the major for Aegon and since its strongly implied that Aegon is a blackfyre, i believe they will do everything in their power to sour danys reputation in westeros as the daughter of the mad king, burning a eating people alive with her mad dragons

i think her dragons will be a downside to her public image, her new attitude of fire and blood is the last thing westerosi commoners and house's want, at this point i think she will try blindly to enforce her throne by force
and dragon are not so hard to be killed, if alone or surrounded,and since she is not a warrior, its better that grrm covers her in a very thick plot armor, i don't see her winning westeros in any scenario, only if she kill the others saves the worlds and became a religious messiah.

8 hours ago, dariopatke said:

... West is for Lannisters and I can see them fear Tywin even if he is dead to do something, not to mention that they suffered greatly in this wars. ...

but the point is NOBODY fears a dead tywin.

IMHO actually it might be that the westerlander might join Aegon to keep house lannister alive and casterly rock away from someone reach.i'll get later to that point. 

3 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

Fact is  Aegon has that already that mindset.

But a point nobody mentioned is: Dany has an ally way more alienating than the unsullied or the dothraky, a noseless imp who killed his own father. 

10 minutes ago, the Scorpion Knight said:

Fact is  Aegon has that already that mindset.

But a point nobody mentioned is: Dany has an ally way more alienating than the unsullied or the dothraky, a noseless imp who killed his own father. 

Not sure what you mean with your first sentence.

Several people have mentioned Dany's unsavory allies (Tyrion included). And as much as I don't like him, he's a better fit than Illyrio and Varys.

This is a moot question. We cannot say, because we have no idea how the political situation will be when she arrives there.

What we do know is that the enemy of your enemy can be your friend. If Aegon becomes Dany's enemies then his enemies will become Dany's friends. Regardless who they are.

Considering that Aegon can only take the Iron Throne over the dead bodies of Tommen and Myrcella the Lannisters are actually potential allies of Dany right now. Certainly not Jaime, of course, but he isn't the head of House Lannister. Daven Lannister or some other cousin might decide that to avenge their little king they have to side with another dragon. The days in which House Lannister dominated the Iron Throne are clearly over.

The idea that Aegon will unite all of Westeros behind is also pretty far-fetched. We know the guy is a false savior, so he'll not succeed. He might make mistakes, wrong some people, execute or favor the wrong people, etc. I agree that many of the Westerosi Targaryen loyalists will join him but they can also abandon him again.

But the bottom line is that this is a moot question for another reason, too:

Dany might not need any Westerosi allies to take the Iron Throne. If she has her Unsullied, sellswords, freedmen, Ironborn, Dothraki, and Volantene slave soldiers she might have one of the largest armies in the history of Martinworld. Her men could easily number in the hundreds of thousands, and if he gang sacks Yunkai she'll have more than enough coin to buy herself ships to carry everybody to Westeros. Not to mention that the huge Volantene navy combined with the Ironborn ships should be more than enough.

And the idea that Dany will be dependent on striking deals with people in Westeros is just silly. What's going to stop her from just taking her ships to KL, land there, and take the damned Iron Throne. Problem over. Should Aegon escape she could send her people after him or pursue him on her dragon. Once the boy is on the run he'll look like a fake and pretender. He has no dragon of his own, after all. Sure, some people might stick to him until he is crushed in battle but not everybody.

Not to mention that nobody would oppose Daenerys and her people if everybody already knew about the threat of the Others when she came. Everybody would welcome her in such a scenario because she would bring additional fighters and some pretty big dragons.

Archived