favorite characters

asoifexpert10

Character I relate to the most - Jaime. It's tough to point out why exactly, but I'd guess its the confusion and conflict about whats the right thing to do and where his place is. I am also a sucker for a good redemption story.

Character I like to read the most - Victarion. That is some comedy gold right there. On a more serious note - Sansa. I think I also highly empathize with her in some way, and despite some people finding her arc to be pretty passive or stale I enjoy her chapters more so than other more exciting storylines.

Honorable mentions - Melisandre, Tyrion, Arya, Stannis and Varys.

Oh damn, forgot about Tormund's member.

Hmmm, this is always an interesting topic. Well for starters, 

1. Catelyn Tully Stark - By far my favorite character, I like her inner strength and the way she fights for her family behind the scenes. I know some people don't like her, but I honestly think most of her advice was excellent, and if more people had listened to her, they would still be alive. 

2. Since Catelyn died, its a toss up. I like Jaime Lannister and Theon Greyjoy's arcs a lot, but I also like Brienne for just being Brienne. As well, I am a Barriston Selmy fan for whatever the reason. I don't think he is that boring, I find him very interesting. I look forward to what happens to him in the next book. 

3. Non POV characters, I will go with Jhogo (he has a freaking whip). I also like Brown Ben Plumm (I know he betrayed Daenerys, but he is interesting to me), Varys (well he has a lot going on), and some of the more noble good hearted side characters like Tytos Blackwood (hence my screen name), Jason Mallister, and Garlan Tyrell. They just seem like good people. Osha was also cool, I wish she had been around longer, but perhaps she will show up in the next book. 

4. I forgot Davos....I very much enjoy his chapters. 

5. Finally, I know its lame, but I liked Eddard Stark, and I might have been influenced by the show here a little. For the most part, I think of the characters I think as GRRM wrote them, but when I think of Eddard I just think of Sean Bean, and I love Sean Bean. Also, he was a great character, although he was a fool.

Honorable Mention : Jon Snow (what's not to like about a heroes hero), Tyrion Lannister ( I don't necessarily like Tyrion, but I love the depth of the character that GRRM wrote), Sansa Stark (sadly the character I would probably been the most like if I'd been thrust into this mess at 14 or whatever age she was), Aegon Blackfyre (yeah, i subscribe to that he is a Blackfyre, but I like him, I want him to be interesting and deep, but he probably won't be....unless GRRM writes about 6 more books), and finally Rakharo and Aggo (cause I love all of Dany's bloodriders)

Main P.O.V's:  Bran -- Arya -- Jon Snow

Secondary characters:  Bloodraven -- Gendry -- Thormund

Minor characters:  Marq Piper & Karyl Vance -- Marwyn -- Hugo Wull (Heads up to Tytos Blackwood as well)

The Top Five has changed a little. 

1. Jon Snow

2. Arya Stark

3. Sansa Stark

4. Davos Seaworth

5. Brienne of Tarth

Davos used to be number three and number five used to be Mormont's Raven. But further introspection and some rereading, reading, show watching, and time passing, i realized who really deserves the spots. Sansa climbed pretty hard in the last two years and Brienne has become my soul sister. These five just rock. Oddly enough, Dany climbed back into the Top Ten and is chillin' comfortably in number 6. Melisandre also made into the Top Ten but i blame the show for that lmao

Stannis, Jaime and Littlefinger for me. I think I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed all of the Alayne/LF chapters in AFFC. Tywin is probably one of, if not the, most interesting character to watch at work. I've also got a bit of a soft spot for Aegon, and I'm really interested to see where his story goes.

Mance Rayder

Davos

The only known Lord to have defeated Tywin Lannister in battle, Lord Edmure Tully

Dany lost me when she ordered a girl to be tortured in front of her father so his father would contribute with information he probably didn't have

Arya lost me when she killed the Night's Watch deserter (Dareon was the name, right?)

Sansa might become one of my favorites if she - not Littlefinger, she - unleashes the armies of the Vale against the Freys. Or, at least, if she executes someone who wronged the Starks in a sacrifice to the Old Gods. Which probably won't happen.

As for "villains", Littlefinger. Sybill Spicer also deserves credit, as she pretty much managed to decisively turn the tides in the war by manipulating her daughter.

Are you trying to get all our favorite characters killed?

I find Varys and Little Finger to be two of the more interesting characters. They are pulling way too many strings in Westeros and even Essos without us knowing what the motivation/desired outcome is.

One of my favorite characters is Doran Martell.  Even though he is almost a total invalid as far as his body goes he seems totally there mentally and is really cool how he keeps track of things.  Littlefinger, Petyr Baelish is another character I really like.  Scheming and totally wacking the system.  He started out with nothing and he has stirred up the whole pot.  I like it that he does not care about the baggage of history and plays of the arrogance of the old families.  Every time you read about him you wonder what he knows what plots he has going on and who is thinking of taking out.  Qyburn is interesting and he also is a guy on the move.  It is hard to see how his character will end up.  Stannis Baratheon's character is really good too and following his travels, travails is fun.  

When it comes down to it I like most of the characters except for the Boltens, Walder Frey, and I really hated the Mountain Gregor Clegane.  I hated him

Arya, Bran, Jon, Stannis, Tyrion, Jaime, the Viper, Dolorous Ed, Sam, Gendry, Tormund, Val, Bloodraven, Master Aemon, Manderly (after the pie incident, fell in love with him), Pypar, Maester Luwin, Osha, Lyanna, Rhaegar, Robb, Ned and Benjen and finally...

THE DIREWOLVES...all of them, especially Shaggydog!

This is extremely difficult but I'll see if I can think of 10 in no particular order:

Stannis Baratheon for all the usual reasons, he's dutiful, just, and principled, despite his notorious mercilessness (ever a slave to the law) he also has a lot of humanising moments. But mostly, for Proudwing.

Shireen Baratheon, she's such a tragic character thhat I just want good things for her, and the fact that she's likely going to die sooon makes e extremely upset

Davos Seaworth, he's just thoroughly decent, he cares and he tries, can't really ask for more

Robb Stark, I loved watching him grapple with trying to lead a Kingdom to war at 15, and, like Shireen, he's a tragic figure. I loved him for his personality before his death, and since then I've also got the added "taken from the world before he had the chance to realise his potential" factor a la Daeron I

Brienne Tarth, I like that she pushes forward with her desire to be a warrior even knowing the difficulties she'll face, and, beyond that, she's actively trying to uphold the ideals she believes in

Jaime Lannister has a very beleivable redemption arc and is extremely well written, moreover, he's highly entertaining

Dacey Mormont just seems all round cool and I wish there had been more of her prior to the RW

Kevan Lannister is basically Lannister Davos, he is a good guy and has that aura of quiet competence in a series full of people who demand recognition of their every deed

Arianne is very engaging and I feel I can relate well to her, I suspect I'm giving her extra credit because she's currently the centre of one of the most interesting subplots though

Rodrik Cassell, was very devoted and seemed like a really good choice to take care of Bran, I wass quite upset by his death

Special mentions: Luwin, Cressen, Daven Lannister, Missandei, Varys, Barristan Selmy, Ned Stark, Cat Stark, Tommen Baratheon, Chataya, Loras Tyrell, Raynald Westerling

Depends on the time and i may be a small bit biased :( 

POV

Jaime Lannister, Catelyn Tully, Sansa Stark, Theon Greyjoy, Kevan Lannister and Brienne Tarth is my fav

Non POV

Tywin Lannister, Petyr Baelish, Varys, Podrick Payne, Aurane Waters, Brynden Tully, Sandor Clegane

Minor Non POV

Lancel Lannister, Lothur Brune, Lame Lothar Frey, Black Walder Frey, Late Walder Frey, Garlan Tyrell, 

-Sansa Stark. Easily in my top three favorite characters ever. Her chapters are poetic and richly described. There's no end to the Ashas, Aryas, and Ygrittes in modern lit and it's tiring you can't relate to those types or enjoy reading about them. Sansa was a breath of the freshest air after staying in a musty room. I'd settle for just reading a chapter of her and Jeyne having cake and gossip. She acts appropriately for her age and setting while still being a bright, adaptive girl. She's one of the few characters I've seen to actually embrace her femininity. From her "passive" caution, to love of fantasy, even to her bad math skills, it's astonishing still how much I relate to her, and created by a grown man no less. I also think in addition to being an icky girly girl written in an era where Ladettes are considered better, people often resent her for behaving the way most would in a terrifying hostage situation instead of unrealistically kicking butt and escaping without help.

-Bran Stark. He's such a cutie. I'd love to adopt him. He's a very caring boy despite having every reason to be angry. He made such a good Lord of Winterfell. I can't really describe why I love him like with Sansa; I guess I just love him the way Cat does, like my own son. I worry for him though. While I'd never call him intentionally bad, his questionable acts added to having a creepy, dark mentor make it appear that Branny boy's going down a dark path.

Others: Ned (duh- he's great, even if I find his parental neglect in KL questionable during my reread); Brienne (a female Ned without the disadvantage of being in a political snakepit and also more flexible; she tries so hard to be good and has no bitterness; I admire her); Sam (I love his gentle soul, love of learning, mutual love of Gilly, and growing courage and I'll be furious if he dies), Cersei (black humor, beautiful, gutsy, everything I like in a female villain, and I felt so uncomfortable with the WoS thing); Cat (like Sansa, massively misunderstood and unfairly hated; she's the best written character in the books and probably the only feminine character to be portrayed with as much unwavering sympathy as Gurm gives his tomboys while still allowed to be honestly flawed. I don't get WHY people misunderstand her so badly when I find her motives and opinions incredibly easy to understand); Edmure (hope to see more of him! He really cares about his smallfolk gets too much flak).

-To a lesser extent, since we've only seen a little of her, Elia Martell. Everyone's understandably fascinated by Lyanna but where's the Elia love? She seems to be by far the best Martell (though that isn't saying much from me, because I dislike most of them), kind and no temper. I wish we knew more about her. She reminds me a little of a desert-born Sansa.

Jon is a nice guy but sometimes boring to read, although his first Other chapter was terrifying. I'm glad he grew out of his whiny phase. He's a competent leader. Arya- she ranges from "annoying author's pet" to "poor kid" to mostly "don't care". Her chapters are only interesting in the Riverlands or with the people she meets (namely the Hound and Jaqen). I'm also glad she grew out of her tantrum-throwing spoiled phase and I'd bet she's the Volanqar. Dany- First reading- liked and related to the timid girl adapting well in GoT, then disliked her arrogant and temper in the later books, till I studied her more, did a reread, and realized she's not that abnormal for a hormonal teenager raised to think the throne is her right who mostly means well. I like her now, and don't mind if she becomes a villain, and I think the show's portrayal does absolutely no justice to her.

Jon and Arya have been my favorite from the get-go. And when Jon decided the break his vows in order to rescue her, I knew they would always be my favorite characters! Arya being unable to let Needle go was also another highlight.

Archived