Grimm 3.0 [SPOILERS]

RedEyedGhost

Because thread 2.0 was archived.

Really good episode last night.  I like how this season has shaped up with Black Claw, and I have zero idea how things will actually end next week.  Is Renard playing the long game and ready to turn on them next week?  Or is he really seduced by the potential power they offer?  We know hexen- and zauberbiest crave power, and I don't think he's immune to that.  

Dianna sure is getting more and more creepy with each passing episode.  Maybe Adalind can get her back under control...

I really liked Nick's response to Adalind taking off with Kelly throughout the entire episode.  You really could feel the tension.

Yeah, last night was great, I really liked how they handled pretty much everything. Nick's actions throughout the episode felt like the writers really took the time to think over how someone in his position might react in that situation, rather than doing the classic homocidal breakdown that most things seem to employ as a plot device. I'm still not sure how to feel about Renard, this feels out of the established character that we have seen the last few seasons, but like you said, Hexen/zauberbiest are all about the power.

I will say as someone who lives in Portland and is currently trying to get my foot in the door in terms of working in politics, I wish our mayoral politics were this interesting.

I forgot to mention Wu.  I like what they've done with him, and the way he is learning to control things.  I am disappointed that what I predicted in the first Grimm thread didn't happen though (that he would find a way to turn himself into a grimm), but I knew they wouldn't leave him a kehrseite-schlich-kennen - that's fine for Hank, but it never felt right for Wu to me.

16 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I will say as someone who lives in Portland and is currently trying to get my foot in the door in terms of working in politics, I wish our mayoral politics were this interesting.

:D 

Be careful what you wish for!

I agree, great developments so far. But does anyone feel that some of the stuff is a throwback to seasons 1-2? Wu getting strange again, just like that one time when he ate his own carpet. Hank getting seduced again by a woman with a secret agenda. He has no luck. :P

I'm not sure Renard is playing the long game. I think he really fell for it, and I have to say I'm disappointed in him.

Unfortunately Grimm seems to be on the cancellation fence. While renewed, next season will have fewer episodes. But looking at the way things are going, I think the writers are preparing for it, so I hope we'll get a kick-ass conclusion.

Latest episode made me wish that after Grimm is done, they do another series or mini-series, with the story 20-30 years in the future, with Dianna and Kelly as the main characters.

I do not think Diana can be kept in control by anybody now, not even Adalind. I will not be surprised if she murders Rachel (that is the name of the PR lady/Renard's lover, right?) soon.

And yes, poor Hank - no luck with women at all!
I do not get the magic around Wu. He was scratched by a Blutbad with an infection, that is why he turned into whatever he is now. But ... now he is like a real Blutbad and does not look like a sick one? I mean, he is learning to control when he changes, and the whole thing is really illogical to me. But then after everything else that happens in this show in regards to magic, I probably should not be trying to look for logical explanations.

I wonder what the Elder wand will do next. I like that Trubel knows about it now. I think Trubel is trustworthy.

8 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I do not think Diana can be kept in control by anybody now, not even Adalind. I will not be surprised if she murders Rachel (that is the name of the PR lady/Renard's lover, right?) soon.

And yes, poor Hank - no luck with women at all!
I do not get the magic around Wu. He was scratched by a Blutbad with an infection, that is why he turned into whatever he is now. But ... now he is like a real Blutbad and does not look like a sick one? I mean, he is learning to control when he changes, and the whole thing is really illogical to me. But then after everything else that happens in this show in regards to magic, I probably should not be trying to look for logical explanations.

I wonder what the Elder wand will do next. I like that Trubel knows about it now. I think Trubel is trustworthy.

I reckon the whole Wu thing is the infection causes you to become a primitive version of yourself, where in Blutbaden, it turns them into mindless monsters who only think of killing, in humans, it causes them to revert to a primitive, hunter gatherer/neanderthal era human.

On 5/16/2016 at 6:05 PM, Corvinus said:

Latest episode made me wish that after Grimm is done, they do another series or mini-series, with the story 20-30 years in the future, with Dianna and Kelly as the main characters.

If they were going to do a spin off, I think I would rather see a series based in an earlier time period, following a different Grimm. As much as I love seeing my hometown on screen every week, I would love to see a Grimm traveling the world fighting wessen, maybe getting more of an idea of the Royals, and perhaps a more morally grey Grimm. That might be too expensive, but I think it would be really cool to do it as an anthology series, following a different Grimm each season, with some seasons ending in the, presumably all too common bloody end that would likely often accompany a profession such as being a monster hunter.

Holy shit, that was a pretty awesome finale. I thought it was well paced, and did a great job ramping up the stakes as the episodes progressed. It's been a long time since it actually felt like the team was in real danger, but I was convinced that someone from the inner circle was going to die (I was really scared that Monroe was going to get Lupined when it was revealed that Rosalie is pregnant). I kind of wish that they had done something with the weird Grimm state thing that they were teasing a couple seasons ago, when everything would go kind of grey and Nick would get super-hearing or go berserk or some shit like that. would have been cool, though I don't think they had established it as a thing enough for most fans to notice.

Last though, I really hope they aren't bringing back Juliet for some stupid love triangle thing next season with her and Adaline trying to win Nick's affection. So far the folks running the show haven't done anything stupid enough to make me think that is where this is going, but I've seen this sort of thing happen enough on other shows to be wary. Though to be fair, in those other shows, the old flame usually wasn't complicit with killing the protagonist's mother and leaving her head in a box for him to find, but who knows.

I agree, a very good finale, where you weren't sure about some characters. Though I was less fearing about Monroe, and more about Hank and maybe Trubel. The cliffhanger wasn't quite as, "FUCK, HOW DOES IT END?", as in previous seasons, but still pretty good. I was disappointed with how Renard just quietly became a villain, but then I remembered that in season 1 he was technically a villain until he wasn't.

I wish more time had been given to Bonaparte. He was one ruthless villain. But considering that Black Claw itself is the main villainous entity, there will probably be other leaders out there to contend with. Now that he's dead, I'm guessing all his magical enchantments died, too, right? Which means Adelind can take that ring off.

Little psycho girl Dianna is scary, and I like that they don't have her wasting any time. You're a threat - dead; you hurt mommy - dead.

And I liked that they turned Wu into a badass. And Nick going all righteous fury at the end was pretty awesome to watch. I think it is very likely that the magic stick is a piece of the Holy Cross. The way it acted on Eve, it implies that it cleanses evil; though there is still the word "dangerous" written on that cloth, so it's probably something that shouldn't be abused.

I expected that the HW base was going to be attacked eventually. Sad to see Meisner go.

I would also like to mention that I'm glad to see that Portland has more than once police precinct. Watching this show, I wasn't sure. :P I could easily assume based on how many cases Nick and Hank worked all over that county, that there is only one precinct, and two homicide detectives.

Next season I'm sure that a good amount of focus will be on Rosalie's baby, which means we'll probably see more of those Wessen purists. I also hope we don't get a love triangle. Of course, the discovery of the origins of the magic stick is a must. I'm sure Black Claw will soon know why Nick can't be killed in battle, and a new hunt will begin (That actually reminds me that the Wild Hunt folkloric themes should be something else to explore in this show). I personally will like to see Nick use that Grimm book that Bonaparte wanted to find and contact other Grimms and launch a crusade against Black Claw. 

Re: lycanthrope - it's a viral infection that usually afflicts the blutbaden but Rosalee said there isn't much research on the subject so it is possible it can effect humans and cause them to become primitive. 

I enjoyed the finale but the ending with Bonaparte seemed rushed. Unless it was just a means to show how powerful Diana is and potentially can be. I'm still not sure of Renard is actually a part of black claw, if he's just trying to stay alive and be on the winning team or if he's the same Renard and just trying to infiltrate. My guess is that he enjoys the power but the premiere could easily show him telling nick that he was really just trying to keep Diana and kelly safe. 

The magic stick has me curious. If it's meant to heal I'm wondering if Wesen are simply infected and the stick heals them of that? But then it didn't taken Monroe's Wesen-ness away. So I'm not sure about that theory. If it is a piece of the cross and cures evil it should have had the same effect on Monroe as well unless it is a matter of how much a person is healed or in contact with the stick? 

And agree about Juliette. I actually enjoy nick and Adalind together. And I enjoyed Eve (minus the pointless wig). On a side note, excited to see Rosalee and Moneoe's baby. 

Meisner. :( I am sad to see him go, he was cool.

I really hope that the stick is not part of the Jesus' cross and they find a better explanation for it. That would be so predictable, I would actually prefer absence of an explanation to that. But I fear they are going that way.

It sure looked to me like Eve was losing her Hexenbiest-ness during the healing. I want to see how she turns out to be now. And some weird feelings between Nick and her are pretty much given at this point. They cannot go back together after she killed his mother. But then, I also always thought that Nick and Adalind do not go together either - the first thing we see Adalind do is trying to murder aunt Marie and she did some other despicable things as well, and now is claiming she loves him. :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I really hope that the stick is not part of the Jesus' cross and they find a better explanation for it. That would be so predictable, I would actually prefer absence of an explanation to that. But I fear they are going that way.

It sure looked to me like Eve was losing her Hexenbiest-ness during the healing. I want to see how she turns out to be now. And some weird feelings between Nick and her are pretty much given at this point. They cannot go back together after she killed his mother. But then, I also always thought that Nick and Adalind do not go together either - the first thing we see Adalind do is trying to murder aunt Marie and she did some other despicable things as well, and now is claiming she loves him. :rolleyes:

I don't know, I think when you have a kid with someone it is easier to forgive attempted murder versus multiple attempted murder and being party to killing your mom and leaving her head in a box for you to find. Just a guess though, I've never been in such a situation.

Is it wrong that Diana is my favorite character?    She's the only one who doesn't waste her lines updating the audience about what we all just saw already in the previous scene.   Also, kids like her would have the power to reduce the divorce rate.

It's straight up dumb that nobody has even mentioned The Cross in connection with The Stick.  I mean, they could choose to go with a different explanation in the end, but wouldn't the cross be the obvious hypothesis to start with by having someone at least say it aloud instead of, "Whoa this thing sure is a mystery.  We have no guess for what it might be."   Meanwhile everyone at home is saying, "Uh, it's a piece of the cross, you idjits!"  

It raised Nick back from death, we must assume.   So when you use it on a hexenbeist..... those hexens are kind of dead, right?   ... so it probably did heal Jules of her death-ish condition, resurrecting her without stopping to ask if that was cool or uncool.   The show needs more human characters at this point, it's true  (quick, name one!)  but I hope Juliette doesn't go back to having no powers.  That'd be lame.  She should continue to contribute so she & Nick have a reason to hang out and drink beers after a long day's work together.  They do have the monster-hunting passion in common now, it looks like, while Adalinde is weirdly too normal for Nick (but kind-hearted now that she's determined to keep her human values).  So neither of Nick's womens should get the short straw.   They should share Nick.  That's my vote.  Bigamy.  Turn the show into a platform for exploring the upside of plural marriage.  Plus the face-changing monster fights, of course. 

2 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Is it wrong that Diana is my favorite character?    She's the only one who doesn't waste her lines updating the audience about what we all just saw already in the previous scene.   Also, kids like her would have the power to reduce the divorce rate.

I actually like that about this show. Sure, the audience already knows, but at least the characters are actually having full blown conversations, which makes them more realistic. Other than so many other shows, where something happens, then the character that witnesses the event goes and gives a half-assed explanation, expecting everyone to be on the same page.

2 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

It's straight up dumb that nobody has even mentioned The Cross in connection with The Stick.  I mean, they could choose to go with a different explanation in the end, but wouldn't the cross be the obvious hypothesis to start with by having someone at least say it aloud instead of, "Whoa this thing sure is a mystery.  We have no guess for what it might be."   Meanwhile everyone at home is saying, "Uh, it's a piece of the cross, you idjits!"  

Well they mention the crusades, so they suspect it's linked some treasure from the Middle-east, Holy Land. I expect the writers haven't quite made up their mind about what historical/mythological connection to make.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:05 PM, Corvinus said:

While renewed, next season will have fewer episodes.

Where did you hear/see this?  I couldn't find anything to that effect with a google search.

I kind of wish that they had done something with the weird Grimm state thing that they were teasing a couple seasons ago, when everything would go kind of grey and Nick would get super-hearing or go berserk or some shit like that. would have been cool, though I don't think they had established it as a thing enough for most fans to notice.

Me too!  There has not been nearly enough of that lately.  But the fact that they survived those shoot outs shows something for their (Nick's and Truble's) reaction times.  That police station one was highly improbable :lol:   

Still an amazing episode though.  I loved the intensity all throughout.  Felt like a movie, and everybody involved should feel very proud about what they put together there.  

Last though, I really hope they aren't bringing back Juliet for some stupid love triangle thing next season with her and Adaline trying to win Nick's affection. So far the folks running the show haven't done anything stupid enough to make me think that is where this is going, but I've seen this sort of thing happen enough on other shows to be wary. Though to be fair, in those other shows, the old flame usually wasn't complicit with killing the protagonist's mother and leaving her head in a box for him to find, but who knows.

I agree with you (and everybody else it seems) about this.  I'm wondering about the structure of next season though.  Will they have to drop the procedural aspects of the show and go full on serial?  I mean they killed or wounded nearly the entirety of a police station.  They cannot handwave that away in the season premier and go back to the status quo.  None of our hero are safe in Portland any longer, except maybe Truble because she may still be under Black Claw's radar.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was disappointed with how Renard just quietly became a villain, but then I remembered that in season 1 he was technically a villain until he wasn't.

I really hadn't been liking that either, but with this episode he slid so well into it that it felt pretty natural, and it felt like he was perfectly happy with either side winning because he felt secure in his new power position as the mayor.

Now that he's dead, I'm guessing all his magical enchantments died, too, right? Which means Adelind can take that ring off.

Didn't think about that.  Hopefully.  She sure has been shat upon by circumstance the past several years :lol: 

Little psycho girl Dianna is scary, and I like that they don't have her wasting any time. You're a threat - dead; you hurt mommy - dead.

They're doing a great job with her.  Super freaky.  I can't remember, but when Adalind lost her powers was it somehow because she attacked and then ingested Grimm blood, or simply because she ingested Grimm blood?  If it was the later, then starting to dose their enemies would be a pretty smart move.  And does it only work on hexen/zauberbiest?

12 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Re: lycanthrope - it's a viral infection that usually afflicts the blutbaden but Rosalee said there isn't much research on the subject so it is possible it can effect humans and cause them to become primitive. 

I really liked primeval Wu this episode.

The magic stick has me curious. If it's meant to heal I'm wondering if Wesen are simply infected and the stick heals them of that? But then it didn't taken Monroe's Wesen-ness away. So I'm not sure about that theory. If it is a piece of the cross and cures evil it should have had the same effect on Monroe as well unless it is a matter of how much a person is healed or in contact with the stick? 

Maybe it just returns people to their true state?  But that doesn't fit with the sinister warning.

I actually enjoy nick and Adalind together. And I enjoyed Eve (minus the pointless wig). On a side note, excited to see Rosalee and Moneoe's baby. 

:agree: 

I really like the character development Adalind has went through over the course of the series.  She was finally in a good place, so they took a shit on her again.  She's very easy on the eyes too.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Jesus was the first Grimm?  Liked I said before, I really wish they would do more with Nick's specialness.  Meisner was cool, very disappointed that he didn't make.  But there was no way they all made it out alive, and I think Hank was probably the only other character they would have killed.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

And Nick's mom killed Adalind's mom.  That would be one fucked up love triangle :lol: 

11 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

quick, name one!

Hank!

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Well they mention the crusades, so they suspect it's linked some treasure from the Middle-east, Holy Land. I expect the writers haven't quite made up their mind about what historical/mythological connection to make.

It will be interesting to see where they take things.  I hope it's not a piece of the cross, but I'm fairly confident that it will be.  Next season could be pretty damn awesome if they just go ahead and drop the procedural aspects.  

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I think the stick has something to do with Christ so probably from the cross, the crown or the spear. The only theory I can come up with, and it's a stretch, is that it actually raises the dead (hopefully I'm not repeating someone else's theory). So if the royals were to get a hold of it they could raise the dead/be immortal. I'm not entirely sure about that logic, lol. I just can't think of why it would be dangerous if it heals people. Unless when it's used it takes a toll on the person using it? 

I actually like Adalind and nick. I think she actually loves him. I'm not so sure about him being in love with her. He got pretty excited that Juliette was back.. Actually, I think Nick would be a great stepdad for Diana. Better than Renard anyway. Imagine the fuss if the wesen world knew about them? They freaked out about Rosales and Monroe. A Grimm and a hexenbeast really  should be written about in their history books. 

9 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I don't know, I think when you have a kid with someone it is easier to forgive attempted murder versus multiple attempted murder and being party to killing your mom and leaving her head in a box for you to find. Just a guess though, I've never been in such a situation.

Proooobably ... not something you would gladly overlook in your lover, though. It looks like I am in a minority here, but I really think Nick and Adalind is not going to work, and should not have worked so far. *shrug*

6 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

She is brilliant. So creepy. I am glad I predicted correctly that she would kill Rachel (was not hard to figure out).

Trouble has been my favourite character up to now, but Diana is definitely near the top now. I liked that Trouble actually showed some sadness after Meisner's death - this is what this show sorely lacks, acknowledging that death means something. People are being killed left and right, but sometimes it feels like nobody has an emotional reaction to that.

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

They're doing a great job with her.  Super freaky.  I can't remember, but when Adalind lost her powers was it somehow because she attacked and then ingested Grimm blood, or simply because she ingested Grimm blood?  If it was the later, then starting to dose their enemies would be a pretty smart move.  And does it only work on hexen/zauberbiest?

I think it was because she had Grimm's blood and as far as I understood, it only works on Hexen/Zaberbiests.

So Diana is that strong because she was in the womb when Adalind went through that process of getting her powers back, right? Or also maybe because her papa is half-royal and this somehow enhances her powers? What is odd is that we have never seen her woge before, her eyes just start to glow when she does magic, but she never changes her face to that greyish thing Hexen do.

Which brings me to Kelly ... what is he going to be like? He is very much unique, child of a Hexenbiest and a Grimm, whose mother was changed into another (human) person when he was being concieved ... Diana was already doing strange things when she was that age, but we saw nothing like that from him. Does that mean he will just grow up as a perfectly normal human real boy? Or just that the showmakers have not yet decided what to do with him?

Hank!

I thought it was likely he would die in this episode. But then there would be no entirely human main character left!

It will be interesting to see where they take things.  I hope it's not a piece of the cross, but I'm fairly confident that it will be.  Next season could be pretty damn awesome if they just go ahead and drop the procedural aspects.  

I agree, and I would not like Jesus being the first Grimm either. Wait, he could not be, as some of Nick's books had reports from ancient Egypt in them, so there must have been Grimms in ancient Egypt to write them, right?

21 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I agree, and I would not like Jesus being the first Grimm either. Wait, he could not be, as some of Nick's books had reports from ancient Egypt in them, so there must have been Grimms in ancient Egypt to write them, right?

Maybe we'll get something cool, like it being a piece of Yggdrasil, brought to Constantinople by the Varangian guard. Would be much more interesting than just going with some bland pieces of the one true cross that has been done to death.

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2016 at 7:45 PM, RedEyedGhost said:
On 5/15/2016 at 7:05 PM, Corvinus said:

While renewed, next season will have fewer episodes.

Where did you hear/see this?  I couldn't find anything to that effect with a google search.

?

On 7/11/2016 at 6:48 AM, voodooqueen126 said:

I seriously hope they haven't depowered Juliet. Kind of resented how Adalind can only be good when she is powerless.

I don't think that's the case at all.  She clearly was still trying to help Grimms R Us after getting repowered and hated the situation she was forced into.  But she's also obviously a different person with her powers than she was without them, so it's easy to see how she could slip back into old habits (like going back to work for her shady law firm).

I rewatched a boatload of season 1 again on Sunday.  I really enjoy watching them grow.  Poor Wu though, that guy's always been shat upon.

Archived