Missandei

tmug

There has been talk about Missandei theories and I am starting to believe some of them as this show starts to go into uncharted territories.

Rewatching the S6 episodes again, I believe it has been twice or more times Grey Worm has mentioned that all that they talk about is patrol. Last season people were rolling their eyes when the whole Missandei/Grey Worm romance started to happen and complained numerous times about what the whole point was. It is becoming clearer with their scenes in this season that Missandei is either helping the Sons of Harpies/Masters or is working against Tyrion and Varys in some way. I believe Varys, Tyrion and Varys' new little bird will uncover this in due time - if not already. The Grey Worm/Missandei romance was necessary last season because she is most likely using him to find out Unsullied patrol information and other things. It also makes sense why D&D killed off Barristan rather than Grey Worm, Barristan's character plot was done, not needed anymore. While Grey Worm still has something to do with the plot, to get played by Missandei.

When Tyrion mentions that they have discovered who was helping the Sons of Harpies, Missandei immediately wants to send out a message to the cities of Essos in a language that SHE only understands, conveniently. And Tyrion needed spies to inform him that it was indeed the Masters of the major cities of Essos behind the Sons of Harpies? He's too smart to not realize that already. I think he already knows about Missandei and does not know how he needs to handle it, hence the heavier drinking, the nervousness around Grey Worm - leader of the Unsullied and boyfriend of the betrayer, Missandei.

Here in this post, they point out the opposite POV of the masters in S4E4 https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/24p7lh/spoilers_all_missandei_foreshadowing_in_s4episode4/

Why would she even trust Tyrion and Varys at this point? Her mistress is gone, captured, possibly never returning. The scene with her, Grey Worm and Tyrion was also necessary to show that these people have no relationship with each other.

In the books, the Quaithe makes a prophecy that Dany will be betrayed 3 times - one for love, one for life and one for death. In the show, Missandei must be one of them.

My bet is that she does not make it out this season a la Osha/Rickon. Heck, put her on one of those burning crosses in the Bastard Bowl lol.

I don’t like were this is going, so it’s probably right. And it could happen both in show and the book. Now all we have to do is wait and see how both mediums will choose to  present it. If they do it.

The awkward scene at the table could actually start making sense. Both the show and the book present us with a version of Missandei that is smart, cultured and wise. I think she could find a way to make GW talk of something else rather than patrols if she really wished to do it.

Unless she wants to know about the patrols. Having someone with intimate knowledge of the patrols, when they change, what they are doing will be of tremendous help to the Harpies. It will explain better their successes inside the city, and against extremely well trained soldiers.

Now comes the most important question. If Miss is a traitor, why is she doing it? Is it gold? She doesn’t seem to lack of anything at Dany’s side. Thirst for power? Her position in Dany’s retune is higher than anything the masters can promise her. Blood? Her brothers are Uns. Dany just gave them their freedom, so there shouldn’t be any problem there. Vengeance? Maybe she started liking/loving her master(or his games hehehe) in some Stockholm syndrome type situation?!?

Holy moly, that sounds highly plausible. I can see her fulfilling the prophesy if it's motivated by love of GW, but you're saying it's premeditated and she's been a mole for a long time. Like Xc above, I don't see her motivation. I'd like you to be right, though!

I have never thought about it before but it is possible. The thing about she and GW talking about the patrols is definitely suspicious. And just to make it clear for me: you think that she is the Harpy or that she is a traitor but not the Harpy?

I am unsure about her motivations as the two posters above. The only thing that I can think of is that she wants to gain power for revenge - she was took from her home, from her family, sold as a slave, regarding the last episode probably physically, verbally and sexually abused. Maybe she wants to punish the masters = slavers? And Dany didn't do it? Like, not enough. She sacked Astapor and killed the masters, yes. But if I am not mistaken she let Yunkai be after she freed the slaves, at least in the books. In Meereen she killed some maesters as a revenge for the crucified children but not all of them. So maybe Missandei wants to kill the maester for what they did to her? And she hopes that she gains enough power to do it but undermining Daenerys' power?

^ That doesn't really work. The Sons of the Harpy are working for the Slave Masters, so she wouldn't be in league with them if she's motivated as you say.

But A main point that attracts me to the hypothesis is, as you note, it finds significance in that scene that's been universally panned as ridiculous padding, the (non)conversation with Tyrion and the seemingly meaningless detail about GW talking patrols.

This only makes sense if Missandei is working for the Slaves themselves, and not the slave masters. Which would mean the Harpy aren't made up of the former masters. but the slaves themselves, who are unhappy with the current ruling regime (Dany, etc) and want to control their own destiny.

Unless her backstory is fabricated. She wouldn't have been planted in Astapor by the Masters for Dany to recruit; it would have to go back further - to the warlocks of Qarth? Remember the one that took the form of a young girl who tried to assassinate Dany? She'd have to find a way to disguise the blue lips, but otherwise it's possible, maybe?

Edit: I'm thinking of S3 Valar Dohaeris

4 hours ago, Ice Spider said:

This only makes sense if Missandei is working for the Slaves themselves, and not the slave masters. Which would mean the Harpy aren't made up of the former masters. but the slaves themselves, who are unhappy with the current ruling regime (Dany, etc) and want to control their own destiny.

This is very viable now that I think of it. It could also be possible that the Sons of Harpies are a combined force of both slaves and masters wanting their old traditional lives back in order. What has Dany truly accomplished so far other than for her own selfish ambitions? Yunkai and the other cities are already being controlled by the masters again, Dany couldn't maintain her control over those cities after she left them and so she left them in chaos. Those people should not be happy with her on both sides. 

And just to make it clear for me: you think that she is the Harpy or that she is a traitor but not the Harpy?

Either or I suppose. I think there could be more to the Sons of Harpies than we are led to believe. Perhaps Missandei isn't such an evil, murderous person but in order to restore their way of life, their traditions, they would have to get rid of Dany's army somehow. 

Now the real complication about this theory is that is Missandei going to be the one to kill Grey Worm, at the same time breaking the old eunuch's heart? I think she may try or at least go out on her own terms as soon as Tyrion and Varys knows for sure. How does Tyrion explain this to Dany when they reunite? All of a sudden the "new guy" in the group joins and possibly two of her most "loyal" companions are dead because of betrayal. No way Tyrion goes Osha/Rickon, he will survive this but how? 

Somehow Tyrion has to make Dany understand she is screwing up Essos in a major way. Maybe things will change when Dany rolls with her horde of Dothraki, we know their stubbornness with tradition and the Dothraki can fulfill the roles of the masters and begin to rule Essos.

15 hours ago, tmug said:

~snipped for length~

When Tyrion mentions that they have discovered who was helping the Sons of Harpies, Missandei immediately wants to send out a message to the cities of Essos in a language that SHE only understands, conveniently. And Tyrion needed spies to inform him that it was indeed the Masters of the major cities of Essos behind the Sons of Harpies? He's too smart to not realize that already. I think he already knows about Missandei and does not know how he needs to handle it, hence the heavier drinking, the nervousness around Grey Worm - leader of the Unsullied and boyfriend of the betrayer, Missandei.

~snipped for length~

I know what you are talking about because that caught my ear as well. Good catch.

Missy may, possibly be the new Talisa Honeypot from back in the good old days before the RW.

Here is a really funny, quick watch that explains why people were thinking why Talisa was a Lannister spy (honeypot) back in season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

Thanks to this thread, I paid a little more attention to Missandei in ep 4. It looks to me like she'll pull an Olly because she feels Tyrion's deal betrays her passionate stance on anti-slavery. I'd expect Tyrion to be her target, but maybe if Daenerys returns and endorses Tyrion's negotiations she will (attempt to) betray Daenerys. How about she's on the verge of assassinating Dany and Grey Worm has to save Dany by killing Melly?

Tyrion's solution was the only logical way to deal with things. I am sure Dany will come to understand this. It's all they can do with the forces they now have to just occupy and control Meereen, let alone re-conquer and occupy two more cities as well, If Tyrion can improve upon the current situation within Meereen, squash the Harpy, and establish that city as a functioning economy without slavery, Dany will not be upset with Tyrion, but give him credit for something she could not do.  

Unlike most, I actually really liked the Missandei - Grey Worm romance stuff. 

This theory is insane, but it has legs. It would devastate me if it were true, which probably means it's going to happen lol. 

Nicely thought out by lots of people in this thread - it's fascinating. 

On 15. 5. 2016 at 6:20 PM, House Cambodia said:

^ That doesn't really work. The Sons of the Harpy are working for the Slave Masters, so she wouldn't be in league with them if she's motivated as you say.

But A main point that attracts me to the hypothesis is, as you note, it finds significance in that scene that's been universally panned as ridiculous padding, the (non)conversation with Tyrion and the seemingly meaningless detail about GW talking patrols.

Are we 100% sure that the Sons of the Harpy are working for the slavers though? In E3 the woman tells Varys that the Masters of Astapor and Yunkai pay the Sons but now in E4 Tyrion mentioned it and they denied it. They can lie of course but it seemed to me that it might have been a genuine reaction. Making the Sons look like they support slavery seems like a perfect cover up to them actually working against it.

As you said in the other post, it was clear in E4 that Missandei doesn't agree at all with Tyrion breaking the bead with the slavers but her reaction in the throne room can have two explanations imo. 1) she doesn't agree with Tyrion but she is way too loyal (and possibly used to obey) to defy his will. 2) she just doesn't want to play her cards too early. Grey Worm is against Tyrion as well. If Missandei really is a traitor, she might persuade GW to work with her now.

EDIT: if she really is the traitor, I just hopes that she gets enough time to do something about her plan, like capturing Tyrion, seizing the city etc. And not that once Dany returns, she would go all mad and kamikaze, trying to stab Dany in front of everyone.

This makes sense. I've noticed she has started showing more skin too. This is obviously geared towards messing with Tyrion's wits. Wine and Women are Tyrion's weaknesses and Missandei of Naath is flashing herself more than ever before. She has started talking about being a 'whore' in the past and how she was 'used' by the Masters. She is banking on this being titillating for Tyrion and messing with his brain. I think Missandei may even be the child of the woman who was with Tywin's dad but was then kicked out. I heard she caught a ship and went across the sea?

Archived