MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Would it be weird to have predetermined alternates lined up in case one fighter has to withdraw? Maybe try to match styles to some degree, so a wrestler takes over for a wrestler, a boxer for a boxer etc. Obviously nowhere near perfect or ideal, but at least the coaches can have a backup strategy ready, a replacement doesn't have to crash diet to make weight...

So does anyone think Silva has anything but a punchers chance at winning? I believe he said he hasn't trained for months. Hasn't had a victory in a long time. If this was Silva from a few years ago I would say he wins without breaking a sweat.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

So does anyone think Silva has anything but a punchers chance at winning? I believe he said he hasn't trained for months. Hasn't had a victory in a long time. If this was Silva from a few years ago I would say he wins without breaking a sweat.

Pre-Cote Silva would be interesting. Post-Cote Silva ends up like Hendo did against DC.

The thing that gets me with this is if you look at these UFC Embedded videos they've been posting this week, you can see that someone like Jones works so hard to get in shape and get as best as he can be, there is no denying the immense hard work he puts on training on many different things for months on end, it's just unbelievable that a guy like that would then also take the risk of doping up somehow, which can and does ruin every single thing you've worked for if you get caught. It is unbelievable really.

On the one hand I want to believe him if that if he does test postive for performance enhancement, it was through something tainted. Because apparently it is not something recreational like weed, that seems to be ruled out already. On the other hand, how likely really is it that that drug was the result of a bad coincidence? It just doesn't seem likely. But it could be true, regardless of his past history driving cars like an idiot.

Kell Brook's going to fight Golovkin. Presumably he saw Khan getting knocked out by a much bigger man in Alvarez and thought that looked like a good idea. Oh well, if you're going to get knocked out by a middleweight you might as well go the whole hog and get knocked out by the best middleweight. 

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The thing that gets me with this is if you look at these UFC Embedded videos they've been posting this week, you can see that someone like Jones works so hard to get in shape and get as best as he can be, there is no denying the immense hard work he puts on training on many different things for months on end, it's just unbelievable that a guy like that would then also take the risk of doping up somehow, which can and does ruin every single thing you've worked for if you get caught. It is unbelievable really.

On the one hand I want to believe him if that if he does test postive for performance enhancement, it was through something tainted. Because apparently it is not something recreational like weed, that seems to be ruled out already. On the other hand, how likely really is it that that drug was the result of a bad coincidence? It just doesn't seem likely. But it could be true, regardless of his past history driving cars like an idiot.

The UFC has seemingly had a doping problem (like most sports) for a while, it's why GSP was screaming about testing, it's why Jones himself complained about the UFC letting Vitor fight him juiced. Many people have popped and will continue to pop.

Actually, it's the rest of Jones' dickery that's abnormal, not testing positive (especially if you believe that he was just negligent, like some apparently). Even after USADA came in some people apparently didn't get the message to cycle off

EDIT: Speaking of, Johnny Hendricks just missed weight.

Yeah, Claudia looked even more powerful than the first time they fought - more and better takedowns, plus dropping Joanna with a jab - but Joanna still came out with the win. Good to be the fighting 5-rounders when you're Joanna Champion.

15 hours ago, Calibandar said:

... it's just unbelievable that a guy like that would then also take the risk of doping up somehow ...

What is riskier though - relinquishing control of the risk by taking supplements you haven't thoroughly checked out (even though you have more resources than almost every other fighter), or maintaining control of the risk by intentionally doping, which means you control levels?

Both are risky, but good point.

With Jones Cormier out, the only fight in the cue that gets my blood up is Aldo v Edgar. I expect Edgar to look like ground beef when all is said and done, but unless it's actually over it's hard to really rule him out. 

A single fight (for me) isn't enough to warrant purchase, so guess it's a highlight fight night for me.

Money on Hunt for the big fight, though.

I think it's a real shame that DC got booed for that fight. He's a wrestler, he wrestled. What did people expect? 

The grin on his face when he was standing and trading with Anderson was pretty great though. 

ETA: And Brock gets cheers for doing the exact same thing lol. 

44 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I think it's a real shame that DC got booed for that fight. He's a wrestler, he wrestled. What did people expect? 

The grin on his face when he was standing and trading with Anderson was pretty great though. 

ETA: And Brock gets cheers for doing the exact same thing lol. 

And people cheered Anderson, when it was his defense that stopped the match looking like Lesnar-Hunt or Cormier-Johnson.

It's just silly. 

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Glad to see Aldo back and looking good earlier. His tdd is out of this world. Not once did Edgar look even close to making one stick.

It was bonkers how great Aldo looked. Dude's always been phenomenal, but I have to admit I let myself doubt him in terms of how he would respond in his first fight back since losing his belt.

Physically he looked incredible. As jacked as ever, as fast as ever, and with better cardio than ever. Mentally he looked even better.

Lesnar won via decision... godamnit, 100 bones out the door. Was it a smother win?

Sounds like I maybe missed a few good scraps (Tate Nunes, Aldo Edgar)

Boo.

Archived