MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Tate got destroyed immediately. Completely dominant from Nunes.

It was one hit and she was on the back foot, took a few more. She tapped quickly, I think she was glad it was over and that she was being choked instead of taking more shots to the face.

Aldo looked unbeatable against Edgar. Still cannot wait to see the re-match with Connor.

Velasquez had no trouble with Browne, as expected, pulverized him despite the big height difference. Browne just not good enough, hardly did anything in fact.

The Edgar - Aldo fight was one of the best of the card and Aldo won easily.

To me Tate looked scared from the get go. She tapped from a rear naked choke but the arm was on her chin, not her neck, I think she just wanted to get out of there.

Hated seeing the Cormier - Silva fight. Cormier couldn't do anything against him other than ground control. You would think that Cormier who had been training for a 5 round fight, and is theoretically in the prime of his career, would have had all kinds of energy in the third round and he didn't, he looked winded as hell. I hope Silva stops fighting.

Lesner - Hunt, pretty much as expected, if Hunt didn't get the KO he would lose.

48 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

It looks like UFC got sold for 4 billion. Unfortunately, they're keeping Dana White as the public face, for now.

Have to wonder if this is a good thing for MMA or bad.

If I did the math right, White made 360 million on the deal, 9% of 4 billion. Amazing when you consider the state of the UFC when the original Ultimate Fighter season started. Dana ought to give all of the cast a million out of shear thanks. That finale with Bronner and Forrest just trading haymakers was absolutely amazing. Had that been a lay on the ground fight, who knows where the UFC would be now.

So, apparently Chael just revealed that Jones popped for two estrogen blockers. 

So...do people put estrogen blockers in supplements? They better cause, if not, both substances may count individually towards a ban and that's  that.

Also: leave it to Chael to spin the burning wreckage of Jones' career into some way to shine a light on himself. I can't even hate the guy anymore.

On 7/11/2016 at 3:45 PM, dbunting said:

The Edgar - Aldo fight was one of the best of the card and Aldo won easily.

To me Tate looked scared from the get go. She tapped from a rear naked choke but the arm was on her chin, not her neck, I think she just wanted to get out of there.

Hated seeing the Cormier - Silva fight. Cormier couldn't do anything against him other than ground control. You would think that Cormier who had been training for a 5 round fight, and is theoretically in the prime of his career, would have had all kinds of energy in the third round and he didn't, he looked winded as hell. I hope Silva stops fighting.

Lesner - Hunt, pretty much as expected, if Hunt didn't get the KO he would lose.

Agreed, the Cormier fight was just terrible to watch. Also because of Silva, who's looked shit in his last couple of matches anyway, and was completely overmatched here, and then also because of Cormier, who really only wants to fight on the mat, regardless of who he fights. Really sympathetic guy though, Cormier, but I never liked his style, effective as it is.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Agreed, the Cormier fight was just terrible to watch. Also because of Silva, who's looked shit in his last couple of matches anyway, and was completely overmatched here, and then also because of Cormier, who really only wants to fight on the mat, regardless of who he fights. Really sympathetic guy though, Cormier, but I never liked his style, effective as it is.

Cormier strikes. He'd be far less successful if he was just smothering everyone.

He actually outstruck Gus, hunted down the longer, more elusive fighter and beat him in the clinch.

He also stood with Barnett  and hit him with some horrible shots, KOed Bigfoot,  and basically outstruck everyone he faced in HW too.  

His most boring and weakly offensive  recent fight (barring this) was actually killed by Jones in the championship rounds, and he outright admitted to grinding the fight down in what he knew to be a boring manner.

Taking down Rumble is only sane.

My God I hate MMA crowds sometimes. 

They mercilessly booed Cormier for essentially doing the same thing they cheered Brock for. 

I don't understand it. Of course the Olympic caliber wrestler is going to try and take down and dominate one of the most lethal precision strikers in MMA. 

Boooo! What are you doing? Trying to win or something? Booo!

WTF, do they feel Cormier was obligated to stand, dance and trade spinning shit with the GOAT or something? 

Stupid yokels.

I was fucking sour when they were booing Cormier too, and the Lesnar thing makes it even worse. But yeah it's no secret that the crowds at UFC events can be just downright embarrassing...and dumb. I've been to a few and I'm good for a long while.

This Landon Vannata kid is fun as hell. Gave El Cucuy a real run for his money.

And holy heck John Lineker is a beast of a 5'3" man. I have almost a foot on him but I wouldn't take him on for less than 20K. (Just in case Joe Silva is reading this thread.)

I'm new here, so I'm not really sure about the makeup of these threads. It seems mostly made up of MMA fans, which is cool, but I'm primarily a boxing fan. Are there many other avid followers of boxing here?

If so, what were your thoughts on Kovalev's performance against Chilemba? And who do you have in his inevitable bout against Ward this fall? 

Who do you have in the upcoming Crawford/Postol fight? And why does HBO think this will have any success as a PPV?

Lastly, what are your opinions of the Gennady Golovkin vs Kell Brook fight? Brook will definitely be the biggest name Golovkin has fought, but do you think Kell has a chance against GGG after moving up to fight him? Will anyone at 160 ever actually step up and fight Golovkin before he is out of his prime?

1 hour ago, Aldric said:

And why does HBO think this will have any success as a PPV?

They don't, but since their boxing budget for some reason has been slashed this year this was the only way to put the fight on at all, as otherwise they wouldn't be able to pay the fighters the money they want for it.

I fancy Crawford- he's the real deal and probably my favourite of the young American prospects/challengers around at the moment looking to be the next big thing- but it'll be tough.

The worrying thing for Kovalev against Chilemba was that the things he struggled with are some things Ward will do much better. On the one hand, that'll help him prepare, but Ward is so good at those things and others that I see Kovalev really struggling to impose his power- and he can't outbox Ward. But then I thought that before the Chilemba fight.

GGG-Brook is a joke really, can't see Brook having any success, but can't really blame either man for the way it came about. I'd rather GGG stepped up himself to LMW and fought DeGale or someone, but he's still holding out for Canelo and you can't blame him.

10 hours ago, Davrum said:

This Landon Vannata kid is fun as hell. Gave El Cucuy a real run for his money.

And holy heck John Lineker is a beast of a 5'3" man. I have almost a foot on him but I wouldn't take him on for less than 20K. (Just in case Joe Silva is reading this thread.)

He's a bit of a cocky prick though, dropping his hands like that.Ferguson was eating him up in the second round.

40 minutes ago, Davrum said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand of course Brock pissed hot.

Are we surprised mothereffers?

This shit is hilarious. He was mocking Jones for being unprofessional for popping and ruining his fight.

I mean...didn't he have enough time to get off everything? 

And doesn't the WWE test? I thought it was a CYA thing but apparently they've popped some stars.

On 7/15/2016 at 7:45 AM, Castel said:

He's a bit of a cocky prick though, dropping his hands like that.Ferguson was eating him up in the second round.

He's cocky for sure, but that's all part of the fun. And yeah, he definitely has work to do.

It looked like he was going for something like an ultra-mobile, hands-down TJ/Cruz type of thing, but after he started to fatigue the very necessary head movement aspect of that style disappeared from his game and Tony was able to tee off on him.

On 7/15/2016 at 3:11 AM, Aldric said:

I'm new here, so I'm not really sure about the makeup of these threads. It seems mostly made up of MMA fans, which is cool, but I'm primarily a boxing fan. Are there many other avid followers of boxing here?

If so, what were your thoughts on Kovalev's performance against Chilemba? And who do you have in his inevitable bout against Ward this fall? 

Who do you have in the upcoming Crawford/Postol fight? And why does HBO think this will have any success as a PPV?

Lastly, what are your opinions of the Gennady Golovkin vs Kell Brook fight? Brook will definitely be the biggest name Golovkin has fought, but do you think Kell has a chance against GGG after moving up to fight him? Will anyone at 160 ever actually step up and fight Golovkin before he is out of his prime?

Kov didn't look amazing against Chilemba, but Chilemba is an awkward and kind of underrated opponent so it's tough to look amazing against him, and Kov still won either 8 or 9 rounds. Tough to pick between Kov and Ward, but I'd say Ward edges a close one. Same with Crawford/Postol. Crawford is sharper but Postol is the rangier guy. Probably going to pick Crawford but not by much.

GGG should be too much for Kell. No idea if anyone at 160 ever steps up to fight him any time soon, but it's probably better to expect it not to happen so you won't be disappointed when it doesn't.

The worst kept secret in MMA is out, Jonny Bones popped for two separate estrogen blockers, typically used after cycling off of steroids to restart the natural testosterone production which drops during the cycle (since "synthetic" testosterone is flooding the body).

I still hope there's some way he's innocent, but there have just been too many strikes now indicating the guy has a crooked character.

EDIT: And now Brock's fight night "IQ" test has come back positive. Never a dull moment.

Archived