MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

So...Jon Jones claiming that some good news is coming about his suspension, likely some "tainted supplement" thing.I...don't know how to feel about this tbh. I just don't buy a lot of the claims (especially given Mendes' recent attempt to pass off a positive test with a seemingly dubious medical claim) but USADA has let people off (Romero, who is at the same gym and has the same manager as Jones) before so they must have pulled something credible.

Also: I don't like Jones, so I prefer to believe the worst about him. 

I watched that..... it was fun. This weekend has a great line-up. Story vs Cerrone I look forward to as well.

Rumble vs Teixeira..... yes please. And then a main act for which I have high expectations.

Castle: I personally hope Jones comes off lightly purely because I want to see him fight again. I mean, fight, at last, because it feels like ages. The OSP fight I am not even counting because that didn't look like the Jones we know one bit.

On 8/18/2016 at 4:22 AM, Calibandar said:

I watched that..... it was fun. This weekend has a great line-up. Story vs Cerrone I look forward to as well.

Rumble vs Teixeira..... yes please. And then a main act for which I have high expectations.

Castle: I personally hope Jones comes off lightly purely because I want to see him fight again. I mean, fight, at last, because it feels like ages. The OSP fight I am not even counting because that didn't look like the Jones we know one bit.

I'm worried about the integrity of the testing. It's not a good look if Jones got pulled off UFC 200 for nothing. Or if it suddenly appears that he got pulled off UFC 200 for nothing.

2nd and 4th could have gone either way I think. 1 clear for McGregor, 3 and 5 clear for Nate.

Great fight but I wasn't best pleased after his criticising Aldo for that masterful performance v Edgar that McGregor spent some time in those last two rounds literally running away.

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

2nd and 4th could have gone either way I think. 1 clear for McGregor, 3 and 5 clear for Nate.

Great fight but I wasn't best pleased after his criticising Aldo for that masterful performance v Edgar that McGregor spent some time in those last two rounds literally running away.

McGregor talks some shit that really shouldn't be taken seriously. But he's learned his lesson I guess. When you have a lot to lose you play to win. He's not the first guy to learn it against a Diaz.

Reminds me of the talk around the first Nate fight about not training for specific opponents...that went out the window after he was basically KOed.

Honestly, it's best to file his more OTT statements under "persona".

1 hour ago, -Ghost- said:

1,2,4 for Conor

Exactly how I scored it, and I assume how the judges scored it. Apparently one judge gave Nate R3 by 10-8, hence the 47-47.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Ha, great point. Aldo looked as jacked and fast as he ever has when he rematched Frankie, and showed better cardio than ever before. it was impossible to take Conor's criticism of him seriously, especially since Aldo never even came close to "running away".

I don't blame Conor for preferring to fight Nate a third time though. He may have beaten Aldo in the blink of an eye, but it's far easier to believe that was a fluke result (the manner of the win, not that he beat Aldo at all) than to believe the same would happen if he fought Aldo again.

For one thing Aldo has far better takedowns than Nate Diaz. Aldo has better TD success stats than Frankie Edgar in fact. Better than Chad Mendes. Better than Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, Chael Sonnen, Johnny Hendricks ... better than any recent fighter who's competed in multiple title fights except GSP. And Aldo has taken down every striking based opponent he's faced in a title fight when it's gone more than 13 seconds, and taken them down multiple times.

1 hour ago, Davrum said:

Exactly how I scored it, and I assume how the judges scored it. Apparently one judge gave Nate R3 by 10-8, hence the 47-47.

Ha, great point. Aldo looked as jacked and fast as he ever has when he rematched Frankie, and showed better cardio than ever before. it was impossible to take Conor's criticism of him seriously, especially since Aldo never even came close to "running away".

I don't blame Conor for preferring to fight Nate a third time though. He may have beaten Aldo in the blink of an eye, but it's far easier to believe that was a fluke result (the manner of the win, not that he beat Aldo at all) than to believe the same would happen if he fought Aldo again.

For one thing Aldo has far better takedowns than Nate Diaz. Aldo has better TD success stats than Frankie Edgar in fact. Better than Chad Mendes. Better than Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier, Chael Sonnen, Johnny Hendricks ... better than any recent fighter who's competed in multiple title fights except GSP. And Aldo has taken down every striking based opponent he's faced in a title fight when it's gone more than 13 seconds, and taken them down multiple times.

More importantly, as long as he's holding the belt he can go off and do stuff in other divisions and still have a guaranteed title match. 

Dana says his next fight is at 145 but we'll see. I honestly have no idea how a full Aldo fight will go. McGregor's has the range and the power and, while Aldo has good TD accuracy he doesn't shoot that much unless he's tired. Maybe it's cause he's facing wrestlers his last few fights but it's not something he relies on that much, perhaps more when his opponent is already winded which could raise his TD accuracy.

2 hours ago, Castel said:

Dana says his next fight is at 145 but we'll see. I honestly have no idea how a full Aldo fight will go. McGregor's has the range and the power and, while Aldo has good TD accuracy he doesn't shoot that much unless he's tired. Maybe it's cause he's facing wrestlers his last few fights but it's not something he relies on that much, perhaps more when his opponent is already winded which could raise his TD accuracy.

I mean, Aldo's has never fought a striking-based opponent (for more than 13 seconds) he didn't shoot on. It's always been part of his game against strikers. He took down Homminick and KZ five times each with killer accuracy. He even took down Lamas twice in two attempts, and Lamas has a wrestling background. Meanwhile Lamas went 1/6 against Aldo. Took down Mike Brown when MTB was one of the P4P best on the planet. And Aldo has one of the best top games in MMA. The dude is a converted BJJ guy after all, not fundamentally a striker.

This was assumed to be part of his game plan the first time Conor was awarded the contender spot against him, but Chad got the fight instead. Aldo mentioned after that fight the wrestling was a clear hole in Conor's game. Conor's trolling - like Anderson's before him - was aimed at trying to dissuade opponents from trying to wrestle him. He did a pretty good job the first time round. The second time I'm not sure Aldo chooses to play on Conor's terms again.

I do hope the next match will be against Aldo in November. That is the fight I want to see.

And I think Aldo will beat McGregor. I thought McGregor again looked remarkably vulnerable last night and just have a feeling Aldo will not be beaten by him again. 

Some great other fights as well. Shame Rumble ended Teixeira so quick. Tim Means really destroyed his opponent as well.

Story simply no match for Cerrone, I thought that would be closer. 

Archived