MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

I enjoyed watching Nate trying to act pissed about the decision. I mean, I'm sure he's got that fighter's pride reason to feel that. On the other hand, you can't tell me some part of him wasn't thinking "Cha-CHING RUBBER MATCH!!!!!".

Personally, I had both fighters at two rounds a piece going into the fifth, which I then though Diaz stole with that late take down, but I can't say, hearing the score cards and related various explanations, that it was any kind of robbery or anything.

I can say it was a damned good fight and I'm happy that there will be, eventually (defend that goddamned 145 belt or leave it!!!), a rubber match.

I came in just as they were showing the "highlights" of the co main (being the entire 13 seconds of that fights), so I didn't get to see the great work by Cerrone, the dirty bird, Larkin and others. Sounds like I missed some gold.

12 hours ago, GSP said:

I enjoyed watching Nate trying to act pissed about the decision. I mean, I'm sure he's got that fighter's pride reason to feel that. On the other hand, you can't tell me some part of him wasn't thinking "Cha-CHING RUBBER MATCH!!!!!".

Honestly, it might be a reflex for Diazes. I don't think he even had to think about it. He was worried about his steamed broccoli :P

It was close but I gave it to Conor, and most of the media did too.

I don't expect -or rather I hope not- to see a rubber match soon. At certainly not if Nate doesn't go fight anyone. Conor can either stay as 145 champ or go up to 155. If Dana is right he has to fight Aldo before Nate again, and I doubt he'd go straight from Aldo (if he wins) to Nate. Probably the LW champ again. After that...maybe.

Maybe if he loses to Aldo <shrugs>

I saw the fight 3-2 as well. But to me Conor should have had a 2 point round. He knocked Diaz down 3 times in one round with strikes. I don't have a big problem with the scoring other than the one judge that had it even. Heck, the ref could have even called in the judge to look at Diaz's eye, that was a large cut on his eyelid and the blood was going right into his eye. I am glad they didn't because I would rather have a clean win.

If the fight had gone to either guy that would have been ok for me.

I watched the post-match press conference from McGregor and I don't like how he is trying to evade Aldo.

He said it just isn't an interesting fight for him, and also claimed that he had to wait two years to fight Aldo because Aldo pulled out, so now Aldo would need to wait as well as far he was concerned. He felt he had better fights to be done. 

When asked that if he did not defend his belt against Aldo later, he would lose it, his reply was that the UFC would not do that.

He feels that they will let him get away with that because in his eyes Aldo's win over Mendes was not impressive and because McGregor beat him in 13 seconds.

All of that is total bs of course, and to my eyes it just seems like this is the one fight he does not want.

Just now, Ramsay Blow said:

Well that fucking sucked. If only Condit had any type of takedown defense. Damn.

Maia gets almost everyone down tbf. It was always the danger with this matchup. 

He's definitely right behind Wonderboy now.

21 minutes ago, Castel said:

Maia gets almost everyone down tbf. It was always the danger with this matchup. 

Yeah, but he got it so damn quickly on his first attempt. It was not a good matchup at all for Carlos and this is exactly what I was afraid of. 

The Jim Miller vs Joe Lauzon fight was excellent.

Pettis vs Oliveira was a good one as well.

Big shame about the Maia fight, I know it's the way he always wants to fight but I just have no admiration for that style at all.

It would have been nice to see Condit fight, and he didn't get to one thing, immediately the take down. Snore.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Big shame about the Maia fight, I know it's the way he always wants to fight but I just have no admiration for that style at all.

Pfft. I'm still only getting into MMA and thus getting used to grappling, but Maia's style is awesome.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

To each his own, but it's a very unattractive style that kills watching a fight like nothing else.

Hence all the booing from the crowd. 

I didn't notice all that much booing. Some fans will always boo whenever anyone who isn't Brock Lesnar takes it to the mat, but that's a ridiculous attitude when watching MMA, might as well just stick to pure stand-up disciplines.

I mean, I was one of those guys till not long ago, thought all grappling was pretty much laying down and hugging or lay-and-pray, but what Maia does isn't that at all. A wrestler who is always looking for a submission and makes every move to attack another weakness can be great to watch.

I thought it was impressive as hell the way he just shut him down completely. Gonna have to go back and watch more of Maia. Is there anyone else on his level of BJJ in the UFC?

I found grappling really boring at first but the more I've watched the better I can follow what's happening. It's gotten a lot more interesting. 

I do still get bored when they tangle up against the cage and seemingly do nothing but lean on each other for a whole round though >.>

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I thought it was impressive as hell the way he just shut him down completely. Gonna have to go back and watch more of Maia. Is there anyone else on his level of BJJ in the UFC?

People say Jacare does.

Gunnar Nelson thought he did...but he was mistaken :P

35 minutes ago, Castel said:

People say Jacare does.

Gunnar Nelson thought he did...but he was mistaken :P

Heh. I'll give that fight a watch tonight. 

43 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I had a friend on Facebook make the analogy that wanting to see mma without grappling is like wanting to see boxing without jabs or body shots- just haymakers to the face. It might be more entertaining on some level, but it'll get really stupid really fast.

I dunno, it would just be kickboxing at that point wouldn't it? Kickboxing is still cool. But I'd rather see it all together. 

Much respect to Maia, I would've rather had Condit fight literally anyone else in WW than him. Condit is pretty well respected in Canada so I'm sure the fans wanted to see some action, but booing a fighter who just tapped out another fighter in like 90 seconds is pretty fucking lame no matter what the circumstances are. 

Archived