MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Yeah, I think Stipe and Reem both got rocked twice each before Stipe finished matters. And how about Rogan having the director play back the replay twice to see if Reem was in his right mind regarding the "tap out".

Meanwhile, there's Werdum opening proceedings by flying side kicking Travis's face, then closing proceedings by front kicking Edmond. In between he tries to be the HW version of El Cucuy?

What a crazy main and co-main. Almost enough to make one forget anything that came before them. Almost.

To be fair to Reem, he did just get KTFO moments earlier, so badly that he couldn't even sit on a stool for a couple of minutes after the fight.

Like Rogan said after, "I probably shouldn't interview anyone who's just been knocked out."

Yeah he (Rogan) just tweeted saying he's asked the brass if they can stop doing interviews of fighters who were just KO'd. Felt really bad for Overeem there that must have been humiliating. 

You can see in the footage Stipes hand kinda knocks against him once when he's trying to get a grip on him. Somewhat understandable that he might have thought that was a tap in the moment. 

Verdum's flips were so weird. That whole fight was so weird. I'd love to know what Edmond said to him after the fight to earn that front kick :lol:

Punk said he'll be back but apparently Dana doesn't agree

I hope he sticks with the sport elsewhere though. Do some amateur fights or something. Although I'd assume other pro leagues will want to pick him up since he brings an audience. 

Even beyond that post-interview stuff he fought weird, or Reem-like, the whole time. Running away towards Stipe's right, keeping his hands down and staying on the cage when hit. As soon as Stipe survived that guillotine you knew Reem was in deep trouble.

32 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Verdum's flips were so weird. That whole fight was so weird. I'd love to know what Edmond said to him after the fight to earn that front kick :lol:

Punk said he'll be back but apparently Dana doesn't agree

I hope he sticks with the sport elsewhere though. Do some amateur fights or something. Although I'd assume other pro leagues will want to pick him up since he brings an audience. 

He can do what Batista did and quietly take a fight on an amateur level. If it was merely about a challenge there was never any reason to hang than on the UFC.

It was a little weird that he went with that open handed slap that resulted in the eyepoke. For a second I thought he was honouring Nate Diaz, but I guess it's more likely he's hurt his hand at some point and was finding it tough to make a fist.

On 9/11/2016 at 11:02 PM, Davrum said:

It was a little weird that he went with that open handed slap that resulted in the eyepoke. For a second I thought he was honouring Nate Diaz, but I guess it's more likely he's hurt his hand at some point and was finding it tough to make a fist.

That's the charitable explanation. It's happened before with Faber.

42 minutes ago, Castel said:

That's the charitable explanation. It's happened before with Faber.

He's done the "accidental" groin kick to try to get out of trouble once or twice too. Dude's a wiley old street-fighter at heart.

6 hours ago, Davrum said:

He's done the "accidental" groin kick to try to get out of trouble once or twice too. Dude's a wiley old street-fighter at heart.

I think when someone starts sticking his fingers in opponents eyes you've gone past 'wiley old street-fighter' and moved right on to 'massive fuckwad'.

Yeah, 

that is nowhere near the first fight where Faber has been in trouble and a bad eye gouge suddenly comes into the picture. I like to give guys the benefit of the doubt, but in his case, there is never really a good explanation for why he was firing his fingers out, and it always happens when things aren't going very well for him. 

If that eye poke was intentional, he's a piece of shit. 

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think when someone starts sticking his fingers in opponents eyes you've gone past 'wiley old street-fighter' and moved right on to 'massive fuckwad'.

Right; There's a sort of leeway for Diego Costa-like fuckery where the person does something fucked everyone seems to go "well, that's just X for you haha", but when a fighter ends a fight talking about how he can't see at all..that's stomach churning. We've moved way beyond a few tactical fouls imo. 

It's hard, cause you don't ever want to accuse someone of trying to hurt someone else's eyes (except when it's Jones :P) but twice is enemy action, in MMA at least.

Archived