MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Ronda is done. Even worse she may have hurt her ability to jump into other fields like Hollywood or the WWE.

If she'd had some offense she could have gone out with her head high but...This was arguably worse than CM Punk's performance. I think he did literally last longer.

EDIT: Cyborg would have killed the Ronda we saw today.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I enjoy that sort of taunting and showboating. Very Diaz brothers. Really liked his performance all round.

With you on that. The pointing in particular was so Nate.

The kid's super entertaining, if he can go on a run with the belt and keep putting on that kind of show he could be quite marketable. Some mainstream shows love to feature out-of-the-ordinary stuff like Cody pulls.

40 minutes ago, Tempra said:

Hey, what's this weird formatting thing where I can't post outside a quote bubble or delete posts? I can't believe they still haven't fixed this nonsense.

40 minutes ago, Tempra said:

I seem to remember there were a few people on this board who thought she might, but, yeah, that was always more than a little bit outlandish.

Anyway, to be fair to Rousey she's always been quite one dimensional, it's just she was destroying her opponents while being one dimensional. If she went away and got her stand up to a level sufficiently passable enough to allow her to actually get back to using her judo skills again there's no reason she couldn't be effective again. It's not like there haven't been a number of pretty useful fighters in mma with pretty shit stand up skills. It's just whether she's willing to put the work in.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I seem to remember there were a few people on this board who thought she might, but, yeah, that was always more than a little bit outlandish.

Anyway, to be fair to Rousey she's always been quite one dimensional, it's just she was destroying her opponents while being one dimensional. If she went away and got her stand up to a level sufficiently passable enough to allow her to actually get back to using her judo skills again there's no reason she couldn't be effective again. It's not like there haven't been a number of pretty useful fighters in mma with pretty shit stand up skills. It's just whether she's willing to put the work in.

I'm sure she's a hard worker, she  needs to dump Edmund. Seriously, has he ever rounded out a fighter? Travis Browne has regressed since leaving Jackson-Wink, I don't think he even remembers how to kick. 

Edmond's a proper fraud. He should his license removed, and possibly be arrested. The results that this supposed striking coach has on his charges' ability to actually strike is genuinely dangerous.

In other news, I'd like to draw the attention of boxing fans and connioseurs of serious power that Naoya Inoue did his fast-traditional New Years Eve smashy thing again, although not as quickly and spectacularly as in previous years (he was in against a solid opponent who'd never been knocked out). He's had some injury problems with his right hand but when he's on game he might well be p4p the hardest puncher in the sport- his power seems to affect people like a Golovkin or Kovalev, except he's a super-flyweight.

He's proper brilliant, and American/international boxing broadcasters should really be making the effort to make hay out of the combination of himself, Roman Gonzalez, and Juan Francisco Estrada at the weight, especially with other top-class guys also in or coming up into the division.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

There will still be people who'll say it. They'll point out that Ronda hasn't been beaten by boxers, she's been beaten by MMA fighters. Amanda had 8 years of learning how to avoid takedowns after all. Floyd has zero. That kind of fun stuff.

Amanda nailed it with her post-fight comments though. Ronda's problem isn't just that she's not a high level striker, it's that her coach talked her into believing she is, so she tries to box with these sharper girls and doesn't try to work into clinch until she's already weakened by head shots.

You can't "work into the clinch" if you have no ability to strike or cut the ring and your opponents don't just stand there and wait for you or bumrush you like Cat Zingano. 

It has less to do with her wanting to box and more to do with her having no choice.

With Holly's counter-striking game it's more difficult, because Holly would move out of range, but a pressure fighter like Amanda is custom made for slipping under and getting in on an opponent's hips. She does more than "stand there", she comes onto you. If Ronda had a coach like Jackson or Cordeiro they'd be working to her strengths and not wasting hundreds of hours of training time trying to turn her into a boxer.

4 hours ago, Castel said:

You can't "work into the clinch" if you have no ability to strike or cut the ring and your opponents don't just stand there and wait for you or bumrush you like Cat Zingano. 

It has less to do with her wanting to box and more to do with her having no choice.

Thing is that Cat Zingano kicked Amanda nunez's ass a few years ago. Is Mmath that unreliable or did Nunez get better and Rousey regress?

4 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Thing is that Cat Zingano kicked Amanda nunez's ass a few years ago. Is Mmath that unreliable or did Nunez get better and Rousey regress?

At least two out of three.

MMAth is bollocks and Nunes has come on in leaps and bounds at ATT since meeting Cat. (And it's worth noting that even in that fight Nunes was easily beating Cat in R1. Nunes has always been very strong out of the gate.)

Hard to say whether Ronda regressed with only 48 seconds of tape to study. Certainly she had never faced a striker like Nunes.

"Pettis is done"

"Ronda is done"

Can we stop declaring these fighters' careers over every time they lose around here? It may actually be true with Ronda but that is entirely up to her and there is no reason she couldn't keep fighting and even working her way back to a run at the belt. 

I'm no Ronda fan boy, but to listen to the internet, after she hit a two fight rough patch, all of a sudden Ronda isn't even a mixed martial artist and she should never have even bothered herself with this sport or some shit.

She has holes in her game: they all do. She's beatable: they all are. So what?

7 hours ago, Castel said:

"We trained her wrong, as a joke" ?

Or is that too mean-spirited? :P

Ha! It could be though. The thread before this one was a crack at how Cain always gets injured which felt good to make at the time, out of frustration at his latest fight-canceling boo boo, but then for the next four months or however long it took us to fill up that thread I kind of felt bad about it.

Maybe something like Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party?

8 hours ago, Castel said:

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

As a casual completely unqualified to comment fan it looks like all Ronda wants to do is armbar people in 30 seconds. 

A couple of years ago you would have been right, but in her two losses the problem has actually been the opposite. She wants to knock people out and has run into two opponents who're just as athletic as she is but with significantly better striking, so she hasn't gone to her A game until she's already weakened by being rocked, and by then it's too late.

(What the heck is up with the weird problems with the quotes and not being able to delete them? I hit quote on Dunder's post and it requoted Castel's for no good reason, and it can't be deleted.)

Archived