MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

Stipe jumping the cage to be with his team and hollering "I'm The World Champion! I'm The World Champion!" was amazing. Like he couldn't believe it and was trying to convince himself it was true.

Here's the previous thread by the way: 

We probably could have just titled the new one the same thing.

It is so weird seeing top level fighters do that. Aldo was the weirdest, given that he's perhaps the best defensive fighter in the history of the game, but Werdum also always seemed so much craftier than what he showed tonight.

10 minutes ago, Davrum said:

It is so weird seeing top level fighters do that. Aldo was the weirdest, given that he's perhaps the best defensive fighter in the history of the game, but Werdum also always seemed so much craftier than what he showed tonight.

Aldo at least was going for a combo he's thrown before with Conor juuust in front of him.. 

Werdum didn't get caught a single punch behind, he outright chased Miocic down twice, completely off-balance, Ronda-style. Just no regard for his own safety.

It's probably worse than Aldo, who may have come to his senses if Conor had completely disengaged and circled around.

EDIT: Also, Vitor pulling guard...

20 hours ago, Castel said:

Aldo at least was going for a combo he's thrown before with Conor juuust in front of him.. 

Werdum didn't get caught a single punch behind, he outright chased Miocic down twice, completely off-balance, Ronda-style. Just no regard for his own safety.

It's probably worse than Aldo, who may have come to his senses if Conor had completely disengaged and circled around.

EDIT: Also, Vitor pulling guard...

No, sure, Aldo was far less sloppy than Werdum (most comparisons between FW and HW have this dynamic), my point was on champions making odd moves which are out of character, hence mentioning that Aldo had forged himself into the most defensively competent fighter in the sport prior to his burst of kamikaze aggression against Conor.

That was not a "burst of kamikaze aggression", he slightly overcommitted and was caught by a perfect counter. It's Conor's beloved counter to an outside angle right hand , Aldo wasn't actually throwing a right hand, he was feinting it and going for a left hook which totally (would have) worked but Conor's counter landed first by milliseconds. He was caught, it happens to the best but he didn't do anything flagrantly uncharacteristic or tactically flawed. Not at all similar to Werdum abandoning his own style and running into a punch. 

When you "slightly" over-commit your knees give out and you drop like a sack of spuds. Aldo was far beyond "slightly" over-committed, flying forward like a meat rocket with momentum to burn, his body hurtling forward, fully-extended, to the canvas after his mind was shut down, such was his overload of forward energy. He was so over-extended his head was more than 12 inches past his own lead foot. That's a crazy amount for a high level striker, especially inside the first quarter minute of a fight. Aside from closing one's eyes and placing one's hands behind one's back, there is no more no-no a no-no in the striking arts than leaving one's feet behind.

It's strategically flawed in the extreme to launch a high-risk-high-reward attack like that before you've properly measured your opponent's range and timing, and a tactic utterly against everything Aldo had stood for over the last half decade. He'd been criticized for fighting too safe for years and that moment was the perfect demonstration of why he'd been right to do so all along.

2 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Watch the fight again, in real time. 

I just did, and Davrum's right. It honestly almost looks like he's tripped he's leaning that far forward, and both feet are off the ground which compounds the mistake. There's a good reason why both landed their intended punches but Aldo got dropped and McGregor barely reacted.

It's pretty clear that what he was going for was faking out that right hand overload that McGregor predicted to land the left but in hindsight it was a silly thing to do because it was a plan completely predicated on the assumption that McGregor wouldn't counter when he saw the right coming. If Conor'd circled to his right he'd have knocked him out cold but... well, he didn't.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I just did, and Davrum's right. It honestly almost looks like he's tripped he's leaning that far forward, and both feet are off the ground which compounds the mistake. There's a good reason why both landed their intended punches but Aldo got dropped and McGregor barely reacted.

...His shot lands and both feet are off the ground after his he knocked out, prior to Conor landing his left foot is on the ground

I'm not claiming this was brilliant execution, what I'm saying is that this was not 'kamikaze burst of aggression'. I simply don't see how someone could watch that fight in real time and conclude that. And it wasn't particularly uncharacteristic of Aldo. He may be defensively sound but he's not incredibly risk averse, I would encourage Davrum to Aldo's fight prior to UFC 194 and tell me how many 'bursts of kamikaze aggression' he sees and whether or not his opinion might have changed if one of the numerous shots that Mendes rocked him with had knocked him out. 

It was another disappointing showing in my opinion.

I had a feeling Miocic would win but we were not given a great fight with such an early win.

Likewise Belfort seemed to be there to serve as a punching bag for Souza who was so much better and completely ruled him.

And Cyborg done in a minute as well. Like UFC197, disappointing.

Weidman's out of UFC 199 which is pretty good to hear honestly, that fight should never have been booked. Jacare might not be able to take the fight, we'll see if he gets medically cleared. If not him there really isn't any other good option with Romero still serving his bullshit suspension. Lots of idiots want Bisping to get the fight even though Rockhold cockstomped him like a year ago. 

On 5/16/2016 at 0:40 AM, polishgenius said:

It's pretty clear that what he was going for was faking out that right hand overload that McGregor predicted to land the left but in hindsight it was a silly thing to do because it was a plan completely predicated on the assumption that McGregor wouldn't counter when he saw the right coming. If Conor'd circled to his right he'd have knocked him out cold but... well, he didn't.

This exactly. When Aldo was rocked by Mendes he was sat on his ass, because Aldo's a counter-striker/pocket fighter who doesn't fly forward while aggressively over-extended, leaving his feet trailing far behind his head. He's fought taller, rangier fighters in the last few years and never resorted to anything close to the level of aggression he displayed against Conor unless he had his opponent already hurt and vulnerable. If Aldo's been famous for anything over the last 5 years it's been staying cool under fire and doing enough to win rounds, not throwing desperation shots so early in the fight Bruce Buffer hasn't even sat down.

When the form of a technically proficient fighter breaks as badly as it did for Aldo against Conor it's usually due to one of two things - either you're rocked/injured/exhausted or you're being overly, wildly aggressive. 13 seconds into that fight it sure as heck wasn't the former.

Welp Bisping got the fight. Which makes for an incredibly flaccid mainevent. Weidman put out a pretty depressing post on facebook about his injury, shame the guy is so injury prone but all the more reason to not book him in title fights that make no godamn sense. Also Cyborg's next fight is announced to be another catchweight against Germaine de Randamie which is actually a decent fight. 

edit: Cyborg has denied this, even though it was from UFC Tonight...

Archived