MMA & Boxing 18: "I'm The World Champion!"

Davrum

On 5/18/2016 at 9:15 PM, Gears of the Beast said:

You're referring to this sequence in the first round right? The one where Aldo presses forward, leading with a fake jab, getting his uppercut blocked and leaving himself open for the counter left? 

Yep, the one where he has solid form, with his feet well underneath him. As contrasted vividly with the one against Conor where he over-committed like a crazy person in only the third exchange of the fight, left his feet behind and crashed forward to the canvas like the Greatest American Hero hurtling out of the sky. The difference is a big part of why Mendes only sat him on his arse, from whence he popped up more or less immediately and went on to win the round, while Conor put his lights out.

James Te Huna appears to have retired from the cage, as per his Facebook. He always put on a show, even if that did entail leading with his chin more often than was maybe comfortable for his fans. It was fairly easy to be a fan of his, especially early on, as he racked up a fine 5-1 record in his first 6 Octagon appearances. I met him and trained under him when he came to Oliver MMA in Auckland a few years ago (2011/12) and he was a great teacher and a cool, generous dude to yap it up with after training. Just an all-round humble, super-likable professional badass.

Unfortunately, eventually that brawling style cost him and he went on the 4-loss skid that seems to have convinced him he's better suited to another line of work from now on. Whatever he does I hope it brings him the happiness and success he deserves.

19 minutes ago, Davrum said:

Yep, the one where he has solid form, with his feet well underneath him. As contrasted vividly with the one against Conor where he over-committed like a crazy person in only the third exchange of the fight, left his feet behind and crashed forward to the canvas like the Greatest American Hero hurtling out of the sky. The difference is a big part of why Mendes only sat him on his arse, from whence he popped up more or less immediately and went on to win the round, while Conor put his lights out.

Well sure but it's a slightly unfair comparison considering the crazy power differential between Mendes and Conor, you wouldn't say with any confidence that Aldo would have just sprung back up if it had been Conor landing the counter left hook instead of Mendes.

I've been hearing rumors that Mcgregor will fight Mayweather in a boxing match.

thats ridiculous. I mean, sure he'd only be doing it for the money, but he has to know he'll get his ass kicked, and it'll damage his brand long term.

edit: it's Jalen Rose and Colin Cowherd 'reporting' this. Not the most reputable guys, but not some random assholes on twitter either.

• 2 weeks later...

Helwani is reporting that Nate vs Conor rematch is in the works for UFC 202 and also that Brock Lesnar (!) is close to finalising a fight at UFC 200 although it doesn't say who his opponent might be. 

edit: Nate just posted a video of himself Stockton slapping Dana...safe to say a deal is done and that slap was probably worth a lot of money lol https://www.instagram.com/p/BGQJYQVOPpo/ 

Archived