Hooded Man is a red herring

forod

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:

Would it really be weird if Glover would suddenly disappear from White Harbour? 

The only thing people know is that Glover was trying to raise an army, failing in this and Manderley ignoring his pleas. If Glover would suddenly disappear, would people not just assume he gave it up to raise an army? Or he was planning to join Stannis who actually liberated Deepwood Motte or his wife in Deepwood Motte? The public reason why he was raising an army, was to liberate Deepwood Motte from the Ironborn which was already been done. 

(The Glover-Manderly is secret I think. Glover never joined Manderley in public I think). 

It wouldn't be weird if Glover left White Harbour, but people might notice if he just dropped off the grid. I think he's probably trying to make as much noise as possible so as to keep attention on himself rather than his brother, Mormont or Manderly (or whoever else is conspiring against the Bolton's). Yeah, nobody outside the plot knows about Glover-Manderly alliance.

Is it possible that the killings are all being committed by Ramsay himself? I mean they were certainly taking place when Theon and his Ironborn were occupying the castle and Ramsay was masquerading as Reek.  I mean the guy seems like he might enjoy killing just for the sake of it, even if it's his own men.  Can anyone confirm if anyone was killed after Ramsay (as Reek) left WF to go and raise some men?  Having said that, this answer feels way less fun to me than Septon Chayle, Howland Reed or the others so I hope I'm wrong.

Also the killer couldn't have been hiding in the crypts while Theon held the castle because Bran and Rickon were under there for a good portion of that time.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, Melisandre's White Pubes said:

Not every vision Jojen had is the literal truth... it's certainly not proof that he died, even if it was a meaningful dream, it could have been people that Theon felt guilty over, perhaps Theon's future thoughts about what happened at Winterfell were what influenced the dream.  We don't know enough about green dreams to be sure.  Maybe Chayle did "die" and was brought back by the Seven, like Davos.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:32 PM, daccu65 said:

My money is also on Chayle.  IIRC, after encountering the HM, Theon had another dream where he saw the dead of Winterfell, and this time he did not name Chayle by name.  Previous to his encounter with the HM, every time Theon had any sort of vision of the dead, he mentioned Chayle by name.

Yea I don't think Jojen's greendreams prove anything on this score.  He also dreamed of Bran dead with Reek skinning off his face.  Much like Mel's visions, it had a grain of truth, but Jojen missed the point.  Chayle was drowned by the rising sea that flowed over the walls of WF.  In the case of the other dead men, this was a metaphor for them being killed by the Ironborn. In the case of the septon, it was a little more literal, but the Ironborn drown people all of the time, and it's proved remarkably non-fatal for them.  It would be pretty entertaining if "what is dead may never die" came back to bite them on this one.

Harwin - there's no reason for him to verify the identity of fArya for LS in WF. They already know Arya was with the Hound and helped kill Polliver et all at the Crossroads Inn, which they turned into the Orphan's Inn at the time Bolton had his fArya - the same time that fArya was public knowledge enough for Polliver to boast about it. They've hanged plenty of Lannisters and Freys, and thus could have questioned them about fArya. They hanged those who raided Saltpans and would have questioned them. The whole Orphans Inn idea is set up imo in the hope that someone comes across the real Arya in the RL (a sparrow) and brings her there, with Gendry in place to make the necessary id. 

Hallis - Barbrey has eyes on the Neck and who comes out. I don't see him emerging from the Neck without her knowing it.

Howland Reed - Theon met the Reed children and would no doubt notice his crannog stature.

Glover - more possible, if he tried to contact Manderly to let him know he has an extra army outside of WF and news of Davos. But then it's baffling he'd be so bold to reveal himself to Theon, the known pet of Ramsay.

Imo it's a red herring insofar it's not about someone important inside playing messenger or killer. It's not a real person. Theon Durden makes the most sense.

Also it's not actually mentioned the man is wearing the hood. All we know is that he wears a cloak with a hood, which he may be wearing over his head or not.

2 hours ago, Rusty Winchester said:

Is it possible that the killings are all being committed by Ramsay himself? I mean they were certainly taking place when Theon and his Ironborn were occupying the castle and Ramsay was masquerading as Reek.  I mean the guy seems like he might enjoy killing just for the sake of it, even if it's his own men.  Can anyone confirm if anyone was killed after Ramsay (as Reek) left WF to go and raise some men?  Having said that, this answer feels way less fun to me than Septon Chayle, Howland Reed or the others so I hope I'm wrong.

Also the killer couldn't have been hiding in the crypts while Theon held the castle because Bran and Rickon were under there for a good portion of that time.

This has been suggested before.  Yellow Dick is killed after Roose tells Theon that Ramsays men are really his men, and big Walder was getting close to Ramsay as well.

I don't personally buy the theory, but it does fit the way it is presented.

On 24-12-2016 at 2:14 PM, sweetsunray said:

Harwin - there's no reason for him to verify the identity of fArya for LS in WF. They already know Arya was with the Hound and helped kill Polliver et all at the Crossroads Inn, which they turned into the Orphan's Inn at the time Bolton had his fArya - the same time that fArya was public knowledge enough for Polliver to boast about it. They've hanged plenty of Lannisters and Freys, and thus could have questioned them about fArya. They hanged those who raided Saltpans and would have questioned them. The whole Orphans Inn idea is set up imo in the hope that someone comes across the real Arya in the RL (a sparrow) and brings her there, with Gendry in place to make the necessary id. 

Hallis - Barbrey has eyes on the Neck and who comes out. I don't see him emerging from the Neck without her knowing it.

Howland Reed - Theon met the Reed children and would no doubt notice his crannog stature.

Glover - more possible, if he tried to contact Manderly to let him know he has an extra army outside of WF and news of Davos. But then it's baffling he'd be so bold to reveal himself to Theon, the known pet of Ramsay.

Imo it's a red herring insofar it's not about someone important inside playing messenger or killer. It's not a real person. Theon Durden makes the most sense.

Also it's not actually mentioned the man is wearing the hood. All we know is that he wears a cloak with a hood, which he may be wearing over his head or not.

Nice analysis. I like your idea on the Inn of the crossroads, and your little observation on the hood.

I don't really see a way how the identity could be revealed, so my bet is it never will (driving fans forever crazy)

1 hour ago, Doran the Dreamer said:

I don't really see a way how the identity could be revealed, so my bet is it never will (driving fans forever crazy)

Well... if there is a scheme by the Northerners to take Winterfell back and this person is part of it, we certainly will because that plot arc is already under way. Another option would be that proposed by Radio Westeros - Harwin, sent by Stoneheart to find out about "Arya" - and in that case, we will learn, as well, as BwB was last seen heading to the Neck where we yet have to see Mr Reed, Ned's bones and quite likely also Robb's will, so we might get just another reveal there.

On 5/15/2016 at 6:03 AM, forod said:

Yes, however we don't know if we can actually trust squirrel,and the question still exists of who killed LW

Why can't we trust (the spearwives)? What have they done to make us not believe them?

They admit to the killings several times. Why should we not believe them?

A Ghost in Winterfell:

“Kill me.” There was more despair than defiance in his voice. “Go on. Do me, the way you did the others. Yellow Dick and the rest. It was you.”

Holly laughed. “How could it be us? We’re women. Teats and cunnies. Here to be fucked, not feared.”

“Did the Bastard hurt you?” Rowan asked. “Chopped off your fingers, did he? Skinned your widdle toes? Knocked your teeth out? Poor lad.” She patted his cheek. “There will be no more o’ that, I promise. You prayed, and the gods sent us. You want to die as Theon? We’ll give you that. A nice quick death, ’twill hardly hurt at all.” She smiled. “But not till you’ve sung for Abel. He’s waiting for you.”

Holly laughing before asking "how could it be us?" is basically admitting to it, right? Am I misinterpreting this? 

Again in Theon I after LW's body is brought in:

Little Walder, thought Theon. The big one. He glanced at Rowan. There are six of them, he remembered. Any of them could have done this. But the washerwoman felt his eyes. “This was no work of ours,” she said.

“Be quiet,” Abel warned her.

Theon thinks the spearwives did LW because he knows they did the others. To me Rowan is saying, "we didn't do this one (but we did the others)". Mance obviously doesnt want her talking about it.

Again later:

Rowan gave him a hard look. “You have no right to mouth Lord Eddard’s words. Not you. Not ever. After what you did—”

“You killed a boy as well.”

“That was not us. I told you.”

“Words are wind.” They are no better than me. We’re just the same. “You killed the others, why not him? Yellow Dick—”

“—stank as bad as you. A pig of a man.”

“And Little Walder was a piglet. Killing him brought the Freys and Manderlys to dagger points, that was cunning, you—”

“Not us.” Rowan grabbed him by the throat and shoved him back against the barracks wall, her face an inch from his. “Say it again and I will rip your lying tongue out, kinslayer.”

Again Rowan denies the LW killing but not the others. Her response to Theon bringing up Yellow Dick, calling him a "pig of a man" is admitting to it, right? She is very upset at Theon for accusing her of the LW killing but not the others. Isn't this because the spearwives did the other killings?

What am I missing here? 

• 1 month later...

Archived