Will we ever hear the Other/White Walker language?

Jewel

If I recall correctly, in the unaired pilot they had a language developed for the Others and it was spoken in the episode as well, but of course it never aired.

Do you think we'll ever get to hear this language in the future on the show? Or maybe even get a few words in the books?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2016 at 10:27 AM, Jewel said:

If I recall correctly, in the unaired pilot they had a language developed for the Others and it was spoken in the episode as well, but of course it never aired.

Do you think we'll ever get to hear this language in the future on the show? Or maybe even get a few words in the books?

That would blow people's mind if the Night's King spoke common with say, Bran or Jon. Craster was able to cut a deal with them somehow so it is possible.

On 3-6-2016 at 3:18 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

That would blow people's mind if the Night's King spoke common with say, Bran or Jon. Craster was able to cut a deal with them somehow so it is possible.

That would be interesting!

We do know they have their own language, and the guy who developed both Dothraki and Valyrian called it Skroth (he also developed some of the Asshai'i language).

Show speaking, it would definitely be possible the NK spoke the Common Tongue- as he was human before! 

4 hours ago, Jewel said:

That would be interesting!

We do know they have their own language, and the guy who developed both Dothraki and Valyrian called it Skroth (he also developed some of the Asshai'i language).

Show speaking, it would definitely be possible the NK spoke the Common Tongue- as he was human before! 

I actually would not be surprised before the tv series is done, someone verbally interacts with them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:18 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

I think it would blow people's minds even more the first time they speak, the scene goes something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjEjt5vMosI

IIRC, DJP said on his Tumblr that if Skroth isn't used on the show - which seems the likely case - he would be pushing HBO to support its release, similar to the Ashai'i language he constructed. Only time will tell, but I personally quite hope we can see his attempt.

On 23-6-2016 at 2:13 AM, plastic throne said:

But we already did hear them communicate in season 2 finale. Some kind of high frequency scream

The Others

Yeah, I know we heard them, but I was talking about the language specifically created for the Others called Skroth. It was an actual language instead of just sounds, which is what intrigues me so much.

according to D&D we might never hear thm since they like him quite because he has nothing to say or talk about it would take away his scary personality... he is death and he is coming not to talk but to do what death does so yeah i dont think we will hear them talk in the show but in the books, they do have a language in legends

On 23.6.2016 at 2:13 AM, plastic throne said:

But we already did hear them communicate in season 2 finale. Some kind of high frequency scream

The Others

animals scream too its way of communication yes but its not develped language but in the book the legends say they do have a language.

On 6/30/2016 at 1:53 PM, zalim said:

animals scream too its way of communication yes but its not develped language but in the book the legends say they do have a language.

In the Prologue of the first book, they are described as talking in a language that sounds like "ice cracking", I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the show isn't ever going to do the language of the White Walkers justice, and they know this. Trying to accurately create the sound of "ice cracking," and then trying to make it sound like a language? I think D&D are going to avoid from ever trying to tread that body of water.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 0:02 PM, Jango said:

I think the show isn't ever going to do the language of the White Walkers justice, and they know this. Trying to accurately create the sound of "ice cracking," and then trying to make it sound like a language? I think D&D are going to avoid from ever trying to tread that body of water.

Probably true. After this season, I'm more convinced than ever that (on the show at least) the Others are just mindless killing machine bad guys. Why bother having them talk or figure out their motivations? They kill things, and have an army of zombies, that's all we need to know, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.7.2016 at 5:33 PM, Aegonzo The Great said:

In the Prologue of the first book, they are described as talking in a language that sounds like "ice cracking", I believe.

yes, i do believe they have a language because i believe them to be quite in the books, i believe them to be humans who took different evolutionary path and evolved and mutated to become like this because of inbreeding...

thats why they need human sacrifises to get new genes from outside in order to save their kind from extinction...

good queen allisant put an end to this and thats why now others are invading...

thats the theory but yes they do have a language in the books but they wont do it in the show and thats confirmed by d&d

• 1 month later...

I imagine there will be some sort of dialogue between Bran and the Night's King at the least.  Perhaps during one of Bran's visions in which he and the NK will converse.  Now that we know the NK can see and touch Bran in his visions, there is an unspoken understanding in that regard. Therefore, next time they cross paths, I think that's where we may hear the NK speak.  I imagine it will be in the common tongue, for the sake of the show.  I just don't see the show ending before we get some sort of explanation for what the WW goals truly are and why...

Archived