[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

Ugh. Finally got around to watching it, and surprisingly, it was the dumbest episode this season. I say that because, so far this season, I've gotten a few laughs out of the episodes. The show has grown into a textbook example of what not to do when "writing."

But, this past episode was boring. Just a bunch of disjointed scenes with no congruence between them. Like putting it on YouTube and getting a bunch of related videos. The only thing connecting the scenes is that none of them make a lick of sense.

If they would have stabbed or executed Royce, it would have been funny. Reducing him to a putz inside his own domain was just nonsense. The super flammable floor and the khals running around like little girls watching a horror film was cringe-worthy. Brienne being all "gangsta" with the people who just revived the brother of the girl she swore fealty too made even less sense, unless it was meant to confirm LF's joke about what a lousy servant she must be.

We had the ridiculous reunion of the Iron Siblings, which was a painful attempt by D&D to stay loyal to their ill-conceived rescue from way back (the official shark-jumping episode), which is, inexplicably, probably the only scene all season where there was an attempt to maintain an 8th grade level thematic unity. Aside from the one amusing scene, the contrived though utterly predictable murder of Osha, this was by far, the biggest snooze-fest all season.

14 hours ago, Stannistician said:

I agree.  It's a problem that nowadays people tend to tie-in the "art" and entertainment that they like (that other people created of course) with their own personal identity.  So that, when the "art" or entertainment is in some way disliked or insulted by others, the individual feels as though they have been personally insulted.  I think that the lack of maturity you speak of is a personal failure of some people to recognize this in themselves, and then they behave accordingly. 

To make matters worse, record companies, tv and movie studios, etc., pretty much tell us which forms of entertainment to like.  But that is another discussion.       

This is a big problem and a behavioural one acting like a spoiled brat and insulting people because they spoke bad for a show /play whatever someone likes , then all those "someone" people they take over the internet saying their opinion and insulting anyone who dares to disagree until none bothers anymorwe leaving all praising critiques and a little this a little I saw the show casted Max Von Sydow (my fave actor) and I decided to see a whole episode while I don't watch the show anymore ...... and result 40minutes of my life lost

well I didn't like this episode and found the Rambo Dany scene very silly but I'm not a hater , I think it's a pity to waste such a cast to such lame dialogues and pity to not try to make your own plot work by thinking the realism of some details and be consistent but still I'm not a hater , I don't like the show anymore , this happens from the last season but this is the only full episode I've seen of this season and it managed to be even worse , I wish I did like it still I really wish it I think it's a pity but I don't hate it  it's just a show and after writing those lines I can forget it and continue with my everyday activities as usual , I save my hate for things they really deserve to be hated not a show so it's insulting to be called hater and troll and whatever when just saying my opinion . Thank you for noting that!!!  cause some behaviours are much imature and annoying . and try to  discredit an opinion with insults and that's something I hate someone calling me names cause I didn't liked a show he likes .

Just so you know you should skip any emotional scenes and talk about how good Castle Black food is.

See how realistic and normal we are?!

See if the TV world worked like that it would cut right to the letter arriving 

We wouldn't have Tyrion trying to make conversation for 5 minutes.

We would have cut right to Dosh Kahleen and not spent 3 episodes talking about going to Dosh Kahleen.

The Jorah is too old scene would have been cut.

Etc etc.

Seriously don't make silly arguments in a thread we aren't supposed to debate in. Especially when there are quite a few scenes proving you wrong.

This season so far has just been really really slow. I feel like a lot of things that happened in this episode could easily have happened in episode 2 or even the season premiere. Like what has actually happened in Kings Landing this season? It's really just been a succession of High Sparrow monologues. The decision to finally take the fight to the Sparrows could have happened in the first episode. Same with Arya's story, and the Iron Isles, and Sam. Next week we'll be halfway through the season and the Wall plot line is pretty much the only one which has moved at a decent pace. 

11 hours ago, xi0 said:
8 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

The book says no such thing, it says that it was WHISPERED at Winterfell that Ned defeated Dayne. WHISPERED.  Because undoubtedly non asshole, non dishonorable, non cutting a guy when he's down Ned Stark told everyone at Winterfell he didn't want to hear any more BS speculation...just as he did about rumors of Ashara....

I will eat the books myself if the real Ned Stark ends up having looked the Sword of Morning in the eyes who was already bleeding out and slashed him across the chest with his sword for the hell of it, never saying a single word to the dying man.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

The book says no such thing, it says that it was WHISPERED at Winterfell that Ned defeated Dayne. WHISPERED.  Because undoubtedly non asshole, non dishonorable, non cutting a guy when he's down Ned Stark told everyone at Winterfell he didn't want to hear any more BS speculation...just as he did about rumors of Ashara....

I will eat the books myself if the real Ned Stark ends up having looked the Sword of Morning in the eyes who was already bleeding out and slashed him across the chest with his sword for the hell of it, never saying a single word to the dying man.

If it's discussed in a low voice it isn't discussed? The book says it was discussed, including by Ned to Bran. 

2 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

Just so you know you should skip any emotional scenes and talk about how good Castle Black food is.

See how realistic and normal we are?!

See if the TV world worked like that it would cut right to the letter arriving 

We wouldn't have Tyrion trying to make conversation for 5 minutes.

We would have cut right to Dosh Kahleen and not spent 3 episodes talking about going to Dosh Kahleen.

The Jorah is too old scene would have been cut.

Etc etc.

Seriously don't make silly arguments in a thread we aren't supposed to debate in. Especially when there are quite a few scenes proving you wrong.

I see your mistake. You thought the rule i articulated was that nothing can happen and no one can have conversations. That's not the rule. The rule is don't show things happening and then have characters re-hash the happening in dialogue. At least not unless the conversation about the thing the audience already knows about is important in itself. 

The "trying to make conversation" scene fits the rule because (a) it's not a conversation about something we just saw happen, and (b) it establishes something pertinent to the plot--that Tyrion doesn't understand, and can't easily sway, Missendei and Grey Worm. Then, in the next episode, we saw that issue may become very serious, because Missendei and Grey Worm didn't support Tyrion's plan. 

The Jorah's too old conversation, again, seems to be foreshadowing a pertinent point. Right after that conversation, Jorah was beaten like a rented mule and Daario had to save him. The last time we saw Jorah fighting, he did poorly in the fighting pits, only saved by luck. Jorah does seem to be getting too old, or maybe grey scale is affecting him. 

I wonder then why LF and Varys had the same conversation over and over again throughout the seasons.  They're adversaries, they hate and respect each other, Varys has no penis.  We got it the first or second time.

And why Tyrion and Shae had basically the same conversation over and over again for a couple of seasons.

And, also, Tyrion and Varys had much the same conversation many, many times....I like you, I like you too, you're good at GOT, blah, blah.

I wonder then why LF and Varys had the same conversation over and over again throughout the seasons.  They're adversaries, they hate and respect each other, Varys has no penis.  We got it the first or second time.

And why Tyrion and Shae had basically the same conversation over and over again for a couple of seasons.

And, also, Tyrion and Varys had much the same conversation many, many times....I like you, I like you too, you're good at GOT, blah, blah.

This reminds me of the first worrying signs of the writing which came from the standoffs between Varys and LF.  It felt like such a forced dramatic scene meant simply to establish a soap opera-ish rivalry.

32 minutes ago, TheLastLibrarian said:

4 episodes without Bronn, thank god, I hope I will never see him again, The clown of game of thrones, now he is separated from Tyrion they silently sent him to oblivion, without Tyrion he is totally useless in the story, he was just fan service to make them laugh

I lamented not having the fools show up as regular characters...at first.  I guess this just highlights the showrunners combining roles again.

This***************

Forlong you're entirely losing the point that they are not robots.

The pink letter arrives and Jon has very little emotional response. 

"I have Rickon"

"Okay. I don't really want to fight anymore"

"Jon you have to go rescue him."

"Okay. Tormund you got enough guys?"

"Yeah sure."

"Okay"

Imagine you're Sansa and know what Ramsey is capable of. Do you sit there calmly? 

Your youngest sibling is at the mercy of a deranged psychopath who regularly feeds people to his dogs on a whim.

Jon just came back from the dead, hung a boy, saw his sister again and has learned Rickon is captured by said psychopath. Oh well maybe I can maybe attack winter fell.

The writing and actors on the show have become robotic.

Honestly go watch the first few seasons again. When the actors actually gave a crap.

Also Tania that post was not directed at you.

1 hour ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

"I have Rickon"

"Okay. I don't really want to fight anymore"

"Jon you have to go rescue him."

"Okay. Tormund you got enough guys?"

"Yeah sure."

"Okay"

This.   They've gotten so use to writing scenes where only one person has any agency because all the major characters are so divided and isolated.   We finally get this massive reunion and intersection of knowledge but it's like it still just has to be about one person, so everything has to serve Sansa in this scene.  Even though the six of them have a million things to talk about, a million-one if mel was there, the only purpose of the scene is having sansa drag jon by the ear to go do his chores.   i.e. they have to be so blunt about everything involving the good story lines.

All they're doing is paint by numbers plot points and they lost the human drama, intrigue, stakes, etc.   They'd rather lean into easy dramatic points like slavery and female strength.   Not that there's anything wrong with those but come on...   This still write the small scenes well somehow.   Anything with Varys or Sam or little finger or arya kinda, they may be clumsy but they're isolated and only have minor issues to address.  It's the big, complex scenes or the mystical things like pyres and resurrections that theyre fucking up.

Oh yeah and Dorne murdered myrecella yet somehow the High Sparrow even hijacked that plot.

Sure he is a more immediate threat but Catelyn Stark arrested Tyrion and the Lannisters instantly went to war. More or less 

Oh right Dorne doesn't matter so that plot served only to kill Myrecella.

Seems Ellaria was justified the whole tine

17 hours ago, LadySoftheart said:

I think the difference between book and show will be ... Drogon. I mean, Dany may very well decide to visit the Dosh Khaleen but she'll be riding there on a dragon of her own volition, not being dragged there by the Dothraki. And I'd think that when she shows up on Drogon and reminds them of the Stallion Who Mounts the World prophecy (which she never mentions on the show and surely SOME of the Dosh Khaleen remember that?) then i think she probably has a lot stronger case to make for being a good bet to follow. Yes, the Dothraki respect strength; and again, I say, Drogon and Mother of Drogon. All of this would have worked SO much better if they'd coughed up some cash and had Drogon CGI his giant fire-breathing self in there.

Indeed. I fully expect the entire interlude of Dany being taken captive and dragged to Vaes Dothrak to be show-only filler added to kill time and/or minimize CGI.

Yeah, if you shouldn't have characters rehash dialogue, what the hell has been going on in King's Landing all year? That's just been an endless swirl of repeated conversation. I can't even remember a meaningful scene from King's Landing, and that is usually where the writers are strongest.

By the way... Gilly's son is still a fucking baby! He was born in season 3 and there must have been at least a couple of years since then. Fat Walda got pregnant and gave birth for God's sake.

Poor poor Jaime. How do you take one of the most well-written characters and make them almost a non-entity? Larry has almost no personality. I'm pretty good at predicting these scenes (even though we're past the books) and can usually guess what most characters are going to do, but Jaime... I never have a clue. He's so arbitrary, he's basically a facilitator for the dialogue. It's like 'we need a character to support Cersei's batshit decision', 'OK, have Jaime do that.' 'We need someone to criticise Cersei's batshit decision.' 'OK, have Jaime do that.'

4 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

Oh yeah and Dorne murdered myrecella yet somehow the High Sparrow even hijacked that plot.

Sure he is a more immediate threat but Catelyn Stark arrested Tyrion and the Lannisters instantly went to war. More or less 

Oh right Dorne doesn't matter so that plot served only to kill Myrecella.

Seems Ellaria was justified the whole tine

Good point.  I guess the Lannisters don't pay their debts in season 6.  Myrcella POISONED!  Hello!  Not even an attempt at hiding it, and yeah, nobody doing anything or even talking about it, except that very strange bit about Tommen not letting Cersei see the body...which was really odd.

On 16/05/2016 at 7:40 PM, GeorgeIAF said:

Serious question for you all. Would you be happier if the show was canceled ? I think not. It has its flaws and ups and downs but in the end it is a good rendition of the books (even the books have ups and downs in them).

This episode's only moment which didn't fit in was Osha's killing ...

Yes, cancel it now.

Archived