[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion

1 hour ago, Lord Pumpkin said:

Yes, cancel it now.

Agreed....if it was up to me I would cancel it without blinking an eye.  Of course, it's not up to me, and will not be canceled, but yes, I would be happier.  

11 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

Oh yeah and Dorne murdered myrecella yet somehow the High Sparrow even hijacked that plot.

Sure he is a more immediate threat but Catelyn Stark arrested Tyrion and the Lannisters instantly went to war. More or less 

Oh right Dorne doesn't matter so that plot served only to kill Myrecella.

Seems Ellaria was justified the whole tine

Holy crap, what a great point. The crazy women who control Dorne killed Myrcella, but there hasn't been a word about fighting House Sand, has there?

18 minutes ago, Mikeygigs said:

I do not disagree with you. 

I lost a great deal of respect for GRRM once I realized this series might never be finished. Ultimately, this is all his fault and I do blame him.

D&D might be hack frauds themselves, but GRRM knew that going in and he still sold HBO the rights to his story.

That being said, no reason I can't be unhappy with the job the showrunners are doing. Its especially worse that this show is almost universally critically acclaimed despite major story problems originating in Season 4-Season 5.

This is a place for venting and for deserved criticism, friend.

The general acclaim by critics of this show makes me think of movie critics.  If a movie is "artsy," a documentary, a musical, or is a relatively unexplored genre, it's almost guaranteed to get praise by all critics.  I can't even believe some of the movies that have 90%+ on Rotten Tomatoes and are absolute garbage.  I'm not going to name them because I don't want to fight with people, lol, but yeah, that's one reason I don't like movie critics in general.

I used to be a tv critic and one thing I liked about the community is that tv critics are relatively divided, unless something is unearthly good (The Sopranos, The Wire).  Ray Donovan is a good example of this.  It ranges from critics thinking it's absolute trash to an absolute masterpiece. However, somehow Game of Thrones has become like an untouchable show...I think because of how expensive and unique it is (huge budget show about dragons and fantasy and extreme gratuity) that it's something critics feel like they "have" to like or they'll be made a joke out of.  It really annoys me because this show has clearly not been good for a very long time.  

17 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I see your mistake. You thought the rule i articulated was that nothing can happen and no one can have conversations. That's not the rule. The rule is don't show things happening and then have characters re-hash the happening in dialogue. At least not unless the conversation about the thing the audience already knows about is important in itself. 

The "trying to make conversation" scene fits the rule because (a) it's not a conversation about something we just saw happen, and (b) it establishes something pertinent to the plot--that Tyrion doesn't understand, and can't easily sway, Missendei and Grey Worm. Then, in the next episode, we saw that issue may become very serious, because Missendei and Grey Worm didn't support Tyrion's plan. 

The Jorah's too old conversation, again, seems to be foreshadowing a pertinent point. Right after that conversation, Jorah was beaten like a rented mule and Daario had to save him. The last time we saw Jorah fighting, he did poorly in the fighting pits, only saved by luck. Jorah does seem to be getting too old, or maybe grey scale is affecting him. 

You don't need to 'rehash' the conversation to show a character's reaction to something important/life altering. You really don't. You can have a line or two between characters to show how they feel about it, or you can have a follow up chat related to that point. No one is saying Jon should have sat Sansa down and said, 'you see, I was stabbed and then... blah.'

What they're saying is that an acknowledgement of something as momentous as resurrection would have been nice. Hell, a bit more gravity in general would have been nice before graduating on to Old Nan's pies. Given the context (murder, forced marriage, resurrection), that would have seemed relevant and real for 2 family members who have met after years. IMO. 

7 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

I totally forgot Gilly's baby is a great time tracker in the series

Jeez, your are really on point with this, Gilly was late term pregnant with her baby in late season 1 or early season 2, so by looking at the baby she had with her on the ship in Ep 3 then it would appear that everything that has occurred on the show since we first saw Gilly pregnant in season 1 has happened in the spacel of 12-18 months, for Rh'ollors sake, that is such a continuity or logic or plot hole or everything  I can think of that is wrong with the show right there. So, so little attention to detail, Gillys baby is indeed a perfect time tracker in the show, and he's still an infant. My oh my!!!!

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Good point.  I guess the Lannisters don't pay their debts in season 6.  Myrcella POISONED!  Hello!  Not even an attempt at hiding it, and yeah, nobody doing anything or even talking about it, except that very strange bit about Tommen not letting Cersei see the body...which was really odd.

Maybe Tommen (and later the High Cobbler) wanted to spare Cersei's feelings. After all, since it's been "a couple of months" - in KL, while only a couple of days in the north but that's a different rant - Myrcella has to be rotted to the bones and covered in maggots. 

Sam Jr was born in E 3 Season 3. At least since then Fat Walda got pregnant and had a baby. 

That baby at the very minimum is 9 months old by any kind of book apologist hand waving.

Really we have 2 baby time trackers. Since we basically know when Walda was pregnant we can see what happened in that time and use it as a control to determine how long say traveling would take.

Not that accurately but if someone was nerdy enough or had enough time they could figure out how old Gilly's baby is supposed to be.

But yeah Myrecella body being nicely preserved after a week or so on a ship is pretty interesting. I'm assuming another day or two for the funeral.

2 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

Sam Jr was born in E 3 Season 3. At least since then Fat Walda got pregnant and had a baby. 

That baby at the very minimum is 9 months old by any kind of book apologist hand waving.

Really we have 2 baby time trackers. Since we basically know when Walda was pregnant we can see what happened in that time and use it as a control to determine how long say traveling would take.

Not that accurately but if someone was nerdy enough or had enough time they could figure out how old Gilly's baby is supposed to be.

But yeah Myrecella body being nicely preserved after a week or so on a ship is pretty interesting. I'm assuming another day or two for the funeral.

In all fairness to the show, the book timeline that was constructed puts Lolys's pregnancy at about 5 months.

The time line issue along with countless others can all stem from the one major gripe I have with the show. Too many storylines. George R R Martin did say this series was unfilmable and the shear number of storylines alone prove that.

3 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

It's not a week or so. Benioff says on the Inside the Episode that Cersei's gone through a rough couple of months between the WoS (510) and Jaime arriving with Myrcella (601). And yet, Mycella looks like she just died this second. 

48 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It's not a week or so. Benioff says on the Inside the Episode that Cersei's gone through a rough couple of months between the WoS (510) and Jaime arriving with Myrcella (601). And yet, Mycella looks like she just died this second. 

No way... really? How the.. 

Just now, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

No way... really? How the.. 

I know, but there you go. Of course, we're supposed to believe that, and at the same time that  for Sansa and Theon it was only a day or two tops between 510 and 601. The timelines are all over the place, a HUGE messy mess. 

On the other hand, Benioff did say last year that the first time we see Stannis (show), he was burning people alive on the beach at Dragonstone, when we know that in the books AND the show Stannis/Mel were burning wooden idols of the Seven. So maybe the show creator and writer doesn't really know his own creation and scripts all that well. Still, it's very telling that they have to have the Inside the Episode segments to explain the show and its plots, and even then they get things wrong all the time. 

Archived