Queen Unburnt Rises Again...Yes there shall be SPOILERS

Like everyone else, I was fully expecting a Drogon attack.  But then I remembered, in the Trailer, Drogon appeared during the day, and this was at night.  

I'm so glad that they (seemingly) brought back bad-ass Dany....and I hope they keep it up...having her ride back to Mereen with the entire Dothraki horde behind her and then add the Dragons...her story will come full circle to where it began.

Loved it! I thought the fire scene was premeditated and tampered with, by someone strategically pouring oil on the ground. Maybe by Jorah and Daario, maybe by Dany's khaleesi friend. I'm sure women take care of the hut: clean it and whatnot, so there were plenty of opportunities for someone to set things up.  

1 hour ago, SevasTra82 said:

Like everyone else, I was fully expecting a Drogon attack.  But then I remembered, in the Trailer, Drogon appeared during the day, and this was at night.  

I'm so glad that they (seemingly) brought back bad-ass Dany....and I hope they keep it up...having her ride back to Mereen with the entire Dothraki horde behind her and then add the Dragons...her story will come full circle to where it began.

Can it say SPIRAL, not circle. As I've speculated on another thread just now, my analysis is as follows:

It's a theme in the books, missed by many readers bored by ADWD. Many viewers and readers alike complain that her plot drags because she's not hot-footing it to Westeros and is supposedly hanging around pointlessly in Essos. Worse, some say her return to Vaes Dothrak just takes her storyline back to square one. Very wrong. 

What we're reading/seeing is a very well-crafted gradual transformation of her character. She starts off wide-eyed and idealistic, arriving at Slavers Bay on a crusade to change the world, an exodus to set the captives free. We see her struggling with the dirty world of politics and rulership as her ideals are compromised and eroded. She IS slowly slowly slowly turning into her father.

I predict that after all Tyrion's good work hammering out a deal at Meereen, she's going to return and not give a shit about those who call her Mysha, to the great consternation of Missandera who will die attempting to betray her.  By the time she arrives on Westeros her Fire will be every much a threat to the continent as the Ice of the WWs.

13 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Can it say SPIRAL, not circle. As I've speculated on another thread just now, my analysis is as follows:

It's a theme in the books, missed by many readers bored by ADWD. Many viewers and readers alike complain that her plot drags because she's not hot-footing it to Westeros and is supposedly hanging around pointlessly in Essos. Worse, some say her return to Vaes Dothrak just takes her storyline back to square one. Very wrong. 

What we're reading/seeing is a very well-crafted gradual transformation of her character. She starts off wide-eyed and idealistic, arriving at Slavers Bay on a crusade to change the world, an exodus to set the captives free. We see her struggling with the dirty world of politics and rulership as her ideals are compromised and eroded. She IS slowly slowly slowly turning into her father.

I predict that after all Tyrion's good work hammering out a deal at Meereen, she's going to return and not give a shit about those who call her Mysha, to the great consternation of Missandera who will die attempting to betray her.  By the time she arrives on Westeros her Fire will be every much a threat to the continent as the Ice of the WWs.

Lol  .tyrion is biding their time until dany returns and GW and missandei have the right of it ...the slavers will attack and start the war ...

Just wait till this season end 

7 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Totally agree, except I think she is Lightbringer, and I think Jon is AA. But it is definitely possible she could be AA.

Loved that scene. And I loved the SILENCE before Khal Hot Man laughed. Then she touched the brazier and....... badassery commenced. 

Or Dany is Nisa Nisa and John needs to plunge his sword in to her heart to forge lightbringer.

24 minutes ago, Challenger1978 said:

Or Dany is Nisa Nisa and John needs to plunge his sword in to her heart to forge lightbringer.

Or you don't need a Nisa Nisa nor an actual flaming sword.  Dragons could be considered a flaming sword or a sword made from the heart of a of the flames of Valyria.  Prophecy doesn't need to be literal.

7 hours ago, Taylor Swift said:

Just wanted to say a lot of people turned on Dany after season 4, when she started spending time in Meereen.

A lot of fans supported the false idol Stannis, but i always knew he was just a red herring. Dany is the one. She has always been the one.

She will never be a villain, this was her song.

Yes her plot was boring, but from now on, it will be worth it. It will get even better in the coming episodes.

Dany is all Fire & Blood now, she is Aegon reborn, and she is coming for her throne. It will be fabulous to watch. And no need to whine because the exact same thing will happen in the books too.

I turned off of Dany a long time ago. I still support Stannis... even though he is dead in the show. One thing that kind of agitates me about the show and how they portray some characters is that they can do the exact same things, but one is a villain and one is a hero. Stannis burns people and he is evil. Dany burns people and is a hero. I can't remember how clear it is made in the show, but Stannis only burned people who would be put to death in the books (Corret me if I am wrong, but that is what google tells me). Daenerys fed a leader of the great famiies to her dragons and threatened the others with no proof! Sure... we have Shireen being burned in the show, but I'd argue that burning someone you love for the greater good is a noble move. I mean AA has to kill Nissa Nissa?

I personally believe that when she does arrive in Westoros she'll be a Mad Queen. Her methods work in Essos, because she liberates slaves. Which is fair enough. There are no slaves in Westoros. The majority don't want a Targaryen as a ruler. She's going to be a vicious conqeuror. Starting a war for a throne to purely please her delusions of grandeur fed to her by Viserys.

Anyway... haha. On topic. I must say I was not a fan. If you can't tell yet... I am bias, ha. I just found it too convenient. I know that the books and show are different, but making her fireproof is a big change and a pretty covenient one. I think Drogon appearing would have made more sense. It's convienient, but.. I'd like to see some vulnerability in a character. She's unstoppable and I find that boring.

Drogon appearing would have been far less convenient in my opinion anyway. The only really ridiculous thing would have been the timing of him appearing. Instead we get a hut with hardly any guards, no one trying to kill her. I respect that fire puts fear in people, but these are leaders of the Dothraki. It is a dry cllimate and we could learn that someone poured oil on the floor, but I don't know. I was not a fan, but I am bias, ha. If that was Stannis? 10/10

2 hours ago, Langsax said:

whole thing came as a surprise.  I was expecting to see dragons in action.   Daenerys still looks great au naturel

I prefer the way things turned out, because the dragons (mostly Drogon) were becoming a Deus Ex Machina. Now at least she used her own strengths to conquer the Dothraki. 

1 hour ago, House Cambodia said:

I'm still not sure whether the producers of the Show are trying to portray her as a heroine, or a tyrant.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm still not sure whether the producers of the Show are trying to portray her as a heroine, or a tyrant.

My guess is that this is one aspect where they know GRRM's broad brushstrokes for a leading character and are trying to follow it.

To clarify, showing her journey from heroine to tyrant.

2 hours ago, ummester said:

If she used some kind of accelerant, they should have explained it - because the speed with which the fire took off seemed silly without explanation.

Also, Khal Moro (isn't that a chocolate bar?) was right when he told her she killed her child by trusting the sorceress. It's hard to sympathise with Dany when she is so easy to criticize.

The accelerant is the oil/fat in the brazier lights. Don't think that really needs an explanation. in real life the place would've been an inferno in less than a minute. People just don't understand fire unless they've had experience/training. Flashover occurs very quickly where virtually everything ignites at once with temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees fahrenheit, not forgetting the poisonous gases etc.

18 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

My guess is that this is one aspect where they know GRRM's broad brushstrokes for a leading character and are trying to follow it.

I don't think she's turning into a tyrant in either the books or the show. She's turning back into the conquering Dragon Queen that she was at end of Storm. The conqueror may become a tyrant, but this isn't inevitable. I don't recall Aegon I being a tyrant -- certainly less so than several of his descendants. There's no meaningful character development in Dance. Dany's big "epiphany" at the end of the book is, "Oh, well, you were right, Jorah. I don't belong in Meereen after all. My fight is in Westeros. Fire and Blood!"

Daenerys's time in Meereen has nothing to do with character development or narrative depth or richness, and everything to do with a structural flaw the author got himself caught in.

11 hours ago, ValrianSunni said:

I love that. Dany doesn't burn because she is FIRE. A song of ice and fire. The thing is, I'm hoping Jon is Azor Ahai, too.

RIP Asha.  She was so close.

I also loved Sansa. After she read the letter I almost expected her to tell Jon, "I can read this, it's from my husband."

I get the feeling that we might be about to see a divorce - Westerosi style.

I also think that we will find Danny is AA and Jon is AA and possibly Tyrion as well. I am still a believer that book Jon rises from his funeral pyre. Which would mean that Danny and Jon are both reborn in fire. The show has Danny doing the same trick twice.

11 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i am hoping the next surprise is she sends a message to tyrion that she is heading west...

though i am not holding my breath...and according to maps slaver's bay is closest ...so i guess it is back to meereen

i am looking forward to how she feels about tyrion letting dragons loose

They were dying without food. Tyrion did what needed to be done. That is the point.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

:lmao:  Do all of you "they did it for the cgi budget" people think that that scene was cheap?

I don't think people understand what is expensive in CGI. It is not the number of seconds you show the dragon on screen. It is the number of man-years you spend building the model.

Once you have a model of a flying dragon, using it is cheap. In fact you can buy a model from a film made only ten years ago for $134.95 from Daz3D. They aren't anywhere near as good as the GoT model but they exist.

The fire scenes had tons of special effects on them. There were two separate stages for a start. Those flames rolling down the steps cost a bundle.

No, the reason they are sparing with the dragons is that they work best in small doses. The longer they are on screen, the greater the risk of them looking wrong.

6 hours ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

It's not really important, it's just a point of discussion. Like Lena Headey and her walk of shame, it ultimately doesn't matter whose body that was as long as it got the point across, but that doesn't mean it's not worthy of discussion. Likewise, I was wondering if since D&D already successfully did it once if they didn't use the same technique again here.

Emilia Clarke said it was her. The big difference being that Dany gets to be totally kick ass while Cersei is having poo thrown at her. Can you see why one actress would be keener on the part than the other?

The walk of shame couldn't be done on a closed set either.

42 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

GRRM appears to be showing how people become tyrants. Danny has 134 people crucified for revenge. She does a lot of other ugly stuff as well. And that is because she has no idea how to rule.

Archived