Dany???

42 minutes ago, tmug said:

I think the way they filmed the scene, it made Dany appear as though she knew what she was doing with the fire. I can easily see how people will think chick can control fire with her mind though. They had to have a reason as to why none of the Khals just didn't wreck her shit and tackle her.

It would have been way better if they used Drogo because when they were speaking to her, they mentioned him and was totally thinking Drogon would appear to show himself. That would have gotten all them Dothraki to kneel.

Seems to me she managed that one all by herself.   

8 minutes ago, Green Dream Girl said:

IMHO, I think it is unique to Dany and a few Targs before her. Many tried to test their dragon's blood and failed miserably, but "blood of the dragon" came from somewhere. I think Aegon the Conqueror must have been impervious to fire to have ridden the biggest dragon in memory. Just theories, I guess, but if Dany is Azor Ahai it makes a lot of sense.

Martin has said that no, of course Targaryens are not fire resistant.  But he also explained that Dany made her own unique magic.

5 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Is no one else bothered by the fact that this scene was almost a complete repeat of season 1?

Dany starts a fire.

Dany doesn't burn.

Dany emerges naked.

Simple Dothraki think she's a god. 

Dany gets a Khalasar.  

Rinse.

Repeat.

What would you have rather had? A retread is better than the incredibly predictable resolutions of Drogon or the Super Daario Brothers saving her. 

Just now, The Black Adder of Dorne said:

What would you have rather had? A retread is better than the incredibly predictable resolutions of Drogon or the Super Daario Brothers saving her. 

Why not none of those three options? That's why they're paid writers. To come up with something we didn't think of. 

16 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Why not none of those three options? That's why they're paid writers. To come up with something we didn't think of. 

I think it's been pretty obvious since the beginning from the beginning of the series that the writers can't find their own assholes without GRRM giving them instructions. Considering how awful they usually are when inventing stories, I give them credit for making this less predictable. 

1 hour ago, Faint said:

The best part is that I am almost positive this decision was dictated by the CGI budget. 

That is sooooooo wrong and close-minded to say.

Of course it wasnt dictated by budget ! D&D wanted Dany to show her powers and regain confidence in herself by herself. I totally expected the scene to go down that way and it was awesome !!!

Do anyone really truly think that was budget reason ? Really ? In the highest budget TV show... if they wanted Drogon to swoop in, it would have happened. 

Truly great scene !

10 minutes ago, The Black Adder of Dorne said:

I think it's been pretty obvious since the beginning from the beginning of the series that the writers can't find their own assholes without GRRM giving them instructions. Considering how awful they usually are when inventing stories, I give them credit for making this less predictable. 

Agreed. I suppose I should be thankful that Jorah didn't storm in and touch them all to death. 

43 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Martin has said that no, of course Targaryens are not fire resistant.  But he also explained that Dany made her own unique magic.

I can remember I once read somewhere that the only reason Dany survived the pyre in season 1 was because she payed for her life with the maegi's life, sacrificing the bitch and stuff. Seems to me that D&D are getting a loooooong way off the books' lore

Just now, Lord Xhyb said:

I can remember I once read somewhere that the only reason Dany survived the pyre in season 1 was because she payed for her life with the maegi's life, sacrificing the bitch and stuff.

No, that's a fan theory.  It isn't from Martin.

I'm all for giving Dany agency, and not having her constantly be saved by her dragon. But the problem with this scene is that it was completely idiotic. Lets look past all these "repetitive" comments and realize this was basically the exact same scene from Season 1. How did this plan make any sense at all? What if the lanterns were up on the sides of the shelter and not in the middle ? What if she was tied up and not let freely walk around? How does this plan make ANY sense. She could have died so easily.

I struggle to see how anyone can watch this and think Dany looked good from that scene. She looked like an idiot lol. 

And also, having Drogon swoop in to save her wouldn't be repetitive if you know, they actually used the Pit scene from the book. They made THAT scene all about deus ex drogon and not about Dany's strength and power. So they had to make THIS scene idiotic. I don't give the writers a pass. If the scene doesn't work than come up with something better. How can anyone think this was a believable scene ?

The rest of the episode was mediocre to great. I loved the Jon and Sansa scenes. It gave me hope for the show, until the end.

59 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Is no one else bothered by the fact that this scene was almost a complete repeat of season 1?

Dany starts a fire.

Dany doesn't burn.

Dany emerges naked.

Dany gets a Khalasar.  

Rinse.

Repeat. 

That was very clearly deliberate. Didn't bother me at all, felt more like a tribute, and echoes a bit of the "to go forward, you must go back" from the books.

52 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

I mean, the scene was obviously a deliberate callback to the s1 finale, so by definition it had to be repetitive, at least visually...right? 

Plotwise, I'm not a fan of the same old beats, but we knew we were in for something repetitive one way or another when she went freaking backwards to the Dothraki Sea. 

This all seemed like a really bad plan. The first time she unburnt herself she came out with dragons and got very the dregs of Drogo's horde to follow her, the outcasts and wierdos who either didn't want to be in a real horde or whom where not welcome in one. The kind of people who would be willing to throw in their lot with obvious sorcery. 

This time? She burnt all the Khal's alive and walked out unscathed, why don't superstitious Dothraki who really hate witches kill her for you know... obviously being a witch. She's got no dragons, she burnt down an important religious landmark all while stomping all over Dothraki tradition. 

It'd be like walking into 14th century Vatican randomly burning things while proclaiming your love for Satan and expecting to come out of it as Pope. 

I loved this scene. It's definitely not something that would happen in the books as she is not immune to fire unless bloodmagic is involved, but the show clearly makes her out to be special. It was done really well imo. Way better than having Jorah and Daario rescue her, or as most of us assumed Drogon coming to her rescue. Instead, she did it by herself. 

6 hours ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Dany starts a fire.

Dany doesn't burn.

Dany emerges naked.

Dany gets a Khalasar.  

Rinse.

Repeat. 

Didn't bother me at all. I'm bothered by other TV shows if the characters don't use something again even though they know it works.

What bothers me is the IMHO total unnatural reaction of the Dothrakis.

They see the house with their Khals burning down and emerging from the ashes is the exact opposite from what they follow. A woman. A white foreigner. A non-fighter. Obviously, they kill her because she is a witch they bow before her. All of them.

In S1 it made sense because the only ones in front of the pyre were loyal to her anyway. In one way or another. Oh, and dragons.

Archived