Dany???

1 minute ago, DrogonTheWingedShadow said:

Those weren't the bloodthirsty hounds that rip people to shreds. Those were bloodhounds, AKA tracking dogs. They and their handler ran back to Winterfell during the fight(they actually start leaving right after Brienne uses her sword to cut the throat of a Bolton dude, that's the last time they're seen standing by Sansa).

I see. I was not aware that RamRam had two different kinds of dogs. I don't remember them actually shown leavin', but mein memory's a bit shite - so I'll concede to yer point. Very good, sir.

Just now, Cz-99 said:

I see. I was not aware that RamRam had two different kinds of dogs. I don't remember them actually shown leavin', but mein memory's a bit shite - so I'll concede to yer point. Very good, sir.

Yeah, I don't think it's been directly stated, but when you compare his vicious hounds to the ones that disappeared, you can tell they're two different things altogether. They don't get shown leaving on-screen. What happens is that we last see them in from of Sansa, then it cuts to Brienne slashing the dude's throat. Next time it cuts back to Sansa, the dogs are gone, meaning they left. Gotcha.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

quotes still glitchy.

Most people who dislike the show started out liking it or loving it, for some people they started to get turned off as early as season 2, others as late as season 5, but the vast majority of complaints about the show now are grounded in the show.  It's pacing, it's huge, massive planet sized plot holes, it's continuity errors, it's treating characters like pawns, who do what the plot demands regardless of character or motivation.  It also has ongoing issues with pacing and lighting in some of the regions.  These are all show only complaints.  Of course there are a litany of show v. book complaints as well, but quite honestly anyone who thinks people "hate" the show solely because it's different from the book isn't paying attention.

Exactly. At this point, most of the book fans have resigned themselves to the show being a different entity. Without discussing book to show differences, there are critiques that should be made about Game of Thrones. That doesn't mean people can't like it, but it is not perfect. I look at the show as its own thing and when I am dumbfounded by something illogical that happened it has nothing to do with the books 98% of the time. 

33 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I personally know people who dislike it because it isn't a word for word adaptation.

What lighting issues?

There will always be fans who prefer those types of adaptations, but not every book-minded fan is that way.

In terms of lighting, it is very dark on the show. I have a hard time seeing the screen in a lot of scenes. I have to watch it in the dark to have the best view, unfortunately. 

Often the writers pace the scenes where some are redundant like the High Sparrow and Marg chatting in two episodes when we only needed one of those chats to move things along. Sometimes the writers assume that it is okay to just leave things as off-screen, which does not always work. 

43 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I personally know people who dislike it because it isn't a word for word adaptation.

What lighting issues?

Which is a bit silly, because fantasy books, especially stories as complex as ASOIAF, cannot be made into a word for word adaptation. Far too many storylines and characters to fit them all into the TV show.

9 minutes ago, BlackBethaRidesAgain said:

In terms of lighting, it is very dark on the show. I have a hard time seeing the screen in a lot of scenes. I have to watch it in the dark to have the best view, unfortunately. 

I have no problem with the lighting in HD. Don't know what it's like in standard definition.

17 minutes ago, Clash said:

I have no problem with the lighting in HD. Don't know what it's like in standard definition.

Same. I mainly watch on my 9" tablet, but I've also watched on my 32" TV and have had no problems. I can adjust the brightness if need be, but the only times I've felt it was dark is in the HoBaW. I'm not sure what lighting has to do with anything though? This is a 100 million dollar budget with production value through the roof. It's the least of my concerns.

31 minutes ago, BlackBethaRidesAgain said:

Exactly. At this point, most of the book fans have resigned themselves to the show being a different entity. Without discussing book to show differences, there are critiques that should be made about Game of Thrones. That doesn't mean people can't like it, but it is not perfect. I look at the show as its own thing and when I am dumbfounded by something illogical that happened it has nothing to do with the books 98% of the time. 

There will always be fans who prefer those types of adaptations, but not every book-minded fan is that way.

Often the writers pace the scenes where some are redundant like the High Sparrow and Marg chatting in two episodes when we only needed one of those chats to move things along. Sometimes the writers assume that it is okay to just leave things as off-screen, which does not always work. 

I love dialogue heavy scenes like those though. In fact, the High Sparrow stuff is some of my favorite because of that reason.

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I love dialogue heavy scenes like those though. In fact, the High Sparrow stuff is some of my favorite because of that reason.

I typically do as well - those scenes are normally the most complex, with tons of important meaning and often, foreshadowing / clues. 

The High Sparrow, especially. 

However, that scene with the High Sparrow / Margaery might have been one of the most boring scenes done on the show.

His origin story was a pure bore - cobbler who got bored of orgies? K.

57 minutes ago, Clash said:

I do have problems with dark scenes. In the dark scenes, with my 32 inch HD 1080i TV its very dark, I sometimes have to squint to distinguish shapes of things like - furniture, clothes. However, when I see pictures taken of same scenes (when they are posted in reviews) they are so much more lighter, were they lightened by a poster or the lighting is bad? The difference is from pitch black scenes on TV to brown/greys in the pictures. 

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

What lighting issues?

I doubt that.

You never noticed that in many of Mel's scene's last season her hair and dress looked black? LOL. in some cases she would look black and then red in the same segment.   And yes I'm watching it on HD.  Or that the House of Black and White scenes are very dark?  

And the fact that it's the most expensive show in history is exactly why it's legit to complain about sloppy lighting...because at $10 million an episode they should be able to ensure that the Red Woman is always red.  And yes, yes I know it's a nitpick but it's indicative of the sloppiness that runs through the entire show now.  Sloppy on plot.  Sloppy on continuity.  Sloppy on details.

11 minutes ago, Masha said:

I do have problems with dark scenes. In the dark scenes, with my 32 inch HD 1080i TV its very dark, I sometimes have to squint to distinguish shapes of things like - furniture, clothes. However, when I see pictures taken of same scenes (when they are posted in reviews) they are so much more lighter, were they lightened by a poster or the lighting is bad? The difference is from pitch black scenes on TV to brown/greys in the pictures. 

No. I can't say I've ever felt it was too dark. There are a lot of dark scenes alright but none that I could remember having difficulty with. I watch on a 42" Sony HD in a well lit room and it's pretty damn perfect tbh.

You can change the settings on the TV to improve things if you're having trouble. Some current models have high contrast as standard and that can affect dark scenes. I know you say it's a HD TV, but is it a HD feed?

17 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I doubt that.

You never noticed that in many of Mel's scene's last season her hair and dress looked black? LOL. in some cases she would look black and then red in the same segment.   And yes I'm watching it on HD.  Or that the House of Black and White scenes are very dark?  

And the fact that it's the most expensive show in history is exactly why it's legit to complain about sloppy lighting...because at $10 million an episode they should be able to ensure that the Red Woman is always red.  And yes, yes I know it's a nitpick but it's indicative of the sloppiness that runs through the entire show now.  Sloppy on plot.  Sloppy on continuity.  Sloppy on details.

No I don't notice that in Mel scenes. Only times I've thought it dark was in the JoB aS because...it's supposed to be dark. If you are going to say the production values are bad then you are a troll I'm sorry to say.

16 minutes ago, Clash said:

No. I can't say I've ever felt it was too dark. There are a lot of dark scenes alright but none that I could remember having difficulty with. I watch on a 42" Sony HD in a well lit room and it's pretty damn perfect tbh.

You can change the settings on the TV to improve things if you're having trouble. Some current models have high contrast as standard and that can affect dark scenes. I know you say it's a HD TV, but is it a HD feed?

Yes, its FIOS. I just noticed that many of the pictures in the reviews are so much lighter than the same scenes on my TV

4 minutes ago, Masha said:

Yes, its FIOS. I just noticed that many of the pictures in the reviews are so much lighter than the same scenes on my TV

I'd try a few different settings on your TV if I were you. Some TVs have presets and one of those might work better for you.

Some of the darker scenes do come out very hard on screen. 

I normally rewatch episodes on my android, and have to occasionally turn the brightness up on the phone specifically for like Castle Black scenes.

This year - the first scene of last episode (Davos/Jon after he's awoken at Castle Black) is one of those examples. Gilly/Sam on the ship was another that I had to make another tweak. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

No I don't notice that in Mel scenes. Only times I've thought it dark was in the JoB aS because...it's supposed to be dark. If you are going to say the production values are bad then you are a troll I'm sorry to say.

I think the showrunners waste a ton of money, and it doesn't matter how good the production is, if it's too dark on the TV screens of the audience.  I'm sure everything is absolutely spectacular looking on the set, but when it doesn't translate because the scenes are too dark, then it was wasted effort and there are tons of examples of this, details that the show went nuts on...like the wildling costumes at Mance's camp that the detail just (1) does not show up and (2) is not important in any way to the story and they should be spending their money on something else.  LOL

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

I think the showrunners waste a ton of money, and it doesn't matter how good the production is, if it's too dark on the TV screens of the audience.  I'm sure everything is absolutely spectacular looking on the set, but when it doesn't translate because the scenes are too dark, then it was wasted effort and there are tons of examples of this, details that the show went nuts on...like the wildling costumes at Mance's camp that the detail just (1) does not show up and (2) is not important in any way to the story and they should be spending their money on something else.  LOL

Yeah because they should be aiming their production values at cheap TVs. LOL indeed.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

A bit of an overstatement here.

A handful of scenes tend to be shot in darker settings that don't come out all that well on *some* living room setups. 

But it's hardly some sort of massive issue. 

Plus, Thrones has one of the highest production values and budgets of any prime TV show currently, and it's one of the few shows where you can actually see it. 

Just casually scroll through some season 1 or 2 scenes, and compare the difference to now. It's night and day difference. 

Archived