"Blood Of My Blood"

[Deleted]

On 5/16/2016 at 4:13 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

This is an obvious reference to the Dothraki phrase, so this epidose would seem to deal with Dany consolidating her power. Another fairly obvious storyline could be that they finally reveal that Jon has Targaryen blood.

But I think there could be something else going on here, concerning the Starks.

Hide contents

I've long been a believer in the theory that the Others have some deep connection to the Starks, and in fact could even be related to them. Think about it, there are far too many clues. "Winter Is Coming." Who seems to bring winter with them wherever they go? The Wall, which was built by Brandon Stark, uses ice magic that seems to look very much like the Others and their castles of ice. The Night's King is rumored to be a Stark who was also Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Bloodraven in training Bran tells him that darkness is his cloak, his ally, and it is said that the Others only come at night (or else they bring the darkness with them). And finally, what could the Starks possibly have done in the past that made all the other northern houses (which are all fierce in their own right) bend the knee to them? The ancient Starks must have been truly terrifying if even House Bolton would swear fealty. The book also states that the statues of  the ancient "Kings Of Winter" in the Stark crypts seem to have barely human features.

This could be a big episode where we find out what happened to Benjen (he joined the Others, who may actually be his "family") and Bran realizes that the Others are related to his family in some way. Either the Starks are decended from the Others, or the Others are decended from the Starks. What this means in the grand scheme of the story (Are the Others trying to help the Starks? Are the Starks the only ones uniquely equipped to defeat the Others, ala Blade vs vampires?) is yet to be determined, but I feel fairly confident we will learn more about the connection the Starks share with the Others in this season, and possibly this episode.

I've speculated this for years, maybe already while reading the first novel when it came out?  Certainly by the second novel.

If the author was the sort who planned out his work I'd be certain.  But this another sort of author who just lets it come as it comes, which means in a work that has become the size it has, spread over so many years, he's lost control of the material and the end games, if ever he had exercised control or had any idea really of the end game -- just write and let 'er rip and take the wild ride and hope it all comes to a stop when and where it should

"Blood of my blood" is a Bloodrider thing, Dany's a proper Khal now so she needs hers. From the really exchange at the end of the preview, I'm guessing her first appointee will be Daario, though it's so innocuous it makes me wonder why they would bother including it unless they want to set-up false expectations to knock down.

On 20/05/2016 at 4:26 AM, Aegonzo The Great said:

The more I think about the theory that the Others are connected to the Starks, the more I think it's probably not going to happen, unfortunately. Seeing how the season is going and previews, I'm thinking the truth is probably going to end up being the other popular theory: The Others were created by the CotF to protect them from the First Men, and the CotF lost control of them. This means the Others are going to end up being simple antagonists with nothing more to them. As much as I really wanted the Others/Starks theory to be true, I just don't think the TV show is going to bother having that level of depth.

I'm still holding out GRRM might go a different way in the books.

The Others could still be related to the Starks - the CotF sacrificed a First Man to create the Nights King and save the trees. It could have been to save the trees from the Andals, because the Starks still have their Godswood and pray to the old gods - which are effectively the children and the Others, exactly like Craster prayed to, just not giving their sons away to do so.

Actually, typing as I think, it seems kind of obvious now - if you are north of the wall you have to sacrifice to the old gods to survive - ie give your sons to the others. South of the wall it's ok, different rules for Andals and stuff.

17 minutes ago, ummester said:

The Others could still be related to the Starks - the CotF sacrificed a First Man to create the Nights King and save the trees. It could have been to save the trees from the Andals, because the Starks still have their Godswood and pray to the old gods - which are effectively the children and the Others, exactly like Craster prayed to, just not giving their sons away to do so.

Actually, typing as I think, it seems kind of obvious now - if you are north of the wall you have to sacrifice to the old gods to survive - ie give your sons to the others. South of the wall it's ok, different rules for Andals and stuff.

The show is crossing out 99% of the intricate backstory that GRRM and the books is layout out.  They are over-simplifying the entire story line (heck, they cut out Blood Raven completely and made the 3EC just some old dude with no backstory or name).

I have faith that even though I think the major plotline is the same (COTF creating the WW's), the path to that revelation will be a lot deeper and intricate in the books.  The show is just a severely watered-down version.

48 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

The show is crossing out 99% of the intricate backstory that GRRM and the books is layout out.  They are over-simplifying the entire story line (heck, they cut out Blood Raven completely and made the 3EC just some old dude with no backstory or name).

I have faith that even though I think the major plotline is the same (COTF creating the WW's), the path to that revelation will be a lot deeper and intricate in the books.  The show is just a severely watered-down version.

Yes but in some ways it has to be - narratively watered down and visually more intricate.

Don't forget, even in show, we saw that the 3EC was communicating with Bran way back in season 1. Is he as detailed a character as Rivers/Blood Raven, no, not at all - but he doesn't need to be, ultimately, for the story, he is an old dude connected to a tree that knows shit).

What I worry about with the show is that if they do eventually tie the Others to the Starks and have them on the same side, viewers my think it's too much of an about face, because the White Walkers have been presented in such a threatening manner. But then, this is consistent with Dany being presented ultra idealistic and demure with soppy music - whereas in the book her dark side was obvious in book 1. The tricks in the show are more deliberate, have to be, because of the format.

2 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

1 hour ago, ummester said:

Yes but in some ways it has to be - narratively watered down and visually more intricate.

Don't forget, even in show, we saw that the 3EC was communicating with Bran way back in season 1. Is he as detailed a character as Rivers/Blood Raven, no, not at all - but he doesn't need to be, ultimately, for the story, he is an old dude connected to a tree that knows shit).

What I worry about with the show is that if they do eventually tie the Others to the Starks and have them on the same side, viewers my think it's too much of an about face, because the White Walkers have been presented in such a threatening manner. But then, this is consistent with Dany being presented ultra idealistic and demure with soppy music - whereas in the book her dark side was obvious in book 1. The tricks in the show are more deliberate, have to be, because of the format.

I agree with both of you. It's hard to have all the details on the show so this makes the book reading even more exciting. I think we'll get how BR actually got there and why, also, who was the first WW and I'm sure it wasn't just some random dude. 
But I don't think the Others and the Starks are on the same side. Connected, yes, maybe that guy was a Stark but he turned on them. I think Martin is trying to show us there's not pure evil/good and things are more intricate than that. We'll see that though the WW are here to decimate men there's also a background to it with a reason.

We'll probably get Benjen on the show rescuing them and maybe Coldhands on the books. But if so, where's Benjen and where does he stands on the story? Hopefully some background on Coldhands? Please? :P

16 minutes ago, LadyAlisande said:

Are "the Others" and "the White Walkers" the same thing? The ice zombies led by the Night King, right? This thread is a little hard to follow.

Essentially, yes.  "The Others" is what the book series calls them, while the show calls them "White Walkers" exclusively.  There are some references in the novels to them being called "White Walkers" on occasion, though.

People like to speculate that they are different beings ,but IMO, they are one in the same.  The show just chose to use the WW term exclusively while the novels refer to them with both names.

I like the Starks - Others theory. If so it's big so will wait till later. Might get a hint for now. What does seem to be missing is a POV for the Others - GRRRMartin doesn't usually do stereotyped evil ones so what's their need/ agenda? Now we're seeing more of them the menace is less awesome - monsters do better when not seen properly. I hope the Others are not diluted by TV into simple cardboard.

Meanwhile there's several could run under this title. (No spoilers though I do mention theories which are floating around.)

Arya - strongly think her blood will call her now and pull her away from the faceless stuff which has become a bore, so here's hoping. She could be a power asset to Jon, they always loved each other and a skilled assassin would be v good for him and Sansa to have. Arya and Sansa link would be an interesting renewal to say the least.

Sansa, Rickon, Jon (On the Targ theory not really a blood link with Jon  but belief is powerful and they act within that for now) I think Rickon's a goner with Ramsay sadly so brace yourself. Shame, as he and that great lady guardian never had much of a story.

Jon, Dany - the reveal seems too big to come now but you never know.

Dany, Dothraki - it's one of their sayings about a khal as they take on blood link to all their people, and she's taking on khaleesi of all khals.

Tyrion, Dany - Targ heritage theory, could come from red priestess if he gets close to dragons again.

Cersei, Jamie, Tommen - topple the Sparrow. Good. Maybe a loss there but also a Gendry return as he is blood with Tommen.

Iron born family ... dunno but they now have a blood feud working.

7 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

Technically, other than a mentioning that Brynden Rivers was a former Lord Commander who came with Aemon to the Wall and vanished many years ago, the books proper do not mention the "intricate backstory" of Bloodraven, you are referring to Egg and Dunk stories which are extra and not referenced in the series  at all

Whether there will be a betrayal for Dany will depend on where her story is going. Will they wait till the second half of the next season to let her reach Westeros. (And fill the story arc with her acquiring boats, battling the slaver plot, waiting for Jorah.) Then there is a big chance that Daario will betray her.

If they just let her skip Slavers Bay and ending that storyline with Tyrions peace and using the Iron Fleet to finally attack westeros at the start of season 7, not so much.

Anyway, if he is going to betray her, it will probably be Jorah to find it out and kill him. (Maybe with a little help from Quathe?)

38 minutes ago, DanïelNorth said:

Anyway, if he is going to betray her, it will probably be Jorah to find it out and kill him.

These days that's pretty easy for Jorah: all he has to do is give someone his patented Basilisk Handshake and they’re dead— eventually.

I expect the old enemy that returns in this episode is Walder Frey.  By this time he will have received word of Ramsay's murder of his stepmother and the end of his alliance with Roose Bolton.  Additionally, if Brienne heads to RiverRun she will need to cross Frey territory making an encounter likely.  Perhaps this is the episode for Lady Stone Heart to make an appearance as well. Lots of possibilities.

I'm gonna be the Debbie Downer and suggest that almost the entire reference to "Blood of my Blood" will be Danaerys and her new khalassar. No Jon Snow reveal, no Benjen, just Emilia Clarke being spoon fed the best lines while delivering them flatly. 

Archived