Red Priestess

SuicideSheep

On May 18, 2016 at 0:55 AM, Alex, Third of His Name said:

Maybe this is setting up some kind of struggle that'll happen within the Faith of R'hllor, over who is the actual Prince that was promised/Azor Ahai.

Sometimes I wonder if the Faith is just covering all of their bases - send a priest/priestess to every person in power.  Maybe they are convinced that the Prince who was Promised is coming; but, they don't have a clue themselves.  Just cozy up to everyone, one of these people as got to be the POP.  Their just like all the sports talking heads who make all kinds of predictions, but are inconsistent/hope that nobody actually ever checks/calls them on their errors, but then they can say "I told you so" when they are finally right.  

14 hours ago, CockroachCaptain said:

They made Maggy the Frog young and hot, why not Moqorro?

That actually would've made more sense than Kinvara. Like, what better way to get a young horny queen to buy what they're selling than to send a charismatic hot guy to do the smooth talking? They sent Stannis a hot seductress and Robert a drinking buddy, they clearly have an A level personalized advertising game at their disposal. 

Unless Kinvara was sent specifically to target Tyrion, in which case it worked like a charm, I guess. 

3 hours ago, grufolo said:

But she has a glamour too!!! So there's some news about her too, for example ...

Reveal hidden contents

is she the second-hand sorcerer who cut Varys as a kid and that's why she knows of the flames and the details?

No, Varys had that dick in a box. 

17 hours ago, daemonTheBlack said:

And why would Lyanna want Jon's parentage hidden? Arthur Dayne is a definitive knight, highly unlikely to father bastards especially with the wife (possibly) of his best buddy. And Robert is not cruel. Confirmed several times. He pardoned so many people, even Dany at the end. He would not kill a baby (unless its a son of Rhaegar, whom Tywin et al would force him to kill).  It makes no sense.... or at least is too speculative.

I know it's probably gonna be R+L=J. I'm just saying under my theory there was no Rhaegar and Lyanna. So Arthur wouldn't be hooking up with his best friend's girl. Lyanna didn't run off with anyone for love. She ran off because she didn't want to be forced into an arranged marriage to a known womanizer. She's a warrior like Arya and Brienne not a maid. Arthur told Jamie before leaving for the trident that things were gonna change after the war. I think he was in part referring to the Kings guard not being able to marry and arranged marriages in general.  So Lyanna runs off to become a member of Rhaegars Kings guard. During this time or maybe even beginning at harrenhal she falls in love with Arthur Dayne. Rhaegar leaves Whent and Dayne and Lyanna at Starfall to protect Ashara and his new child (the now Aegon and septa Lemore) once he is summoned by Aerys via the white bull.  The kingsguard and Lyanna set up at the ToJ to look out for and head off any Baratheon forces that may come before they reach Starfall. During this time Lyanna's pregnancy progresses. Cue the ToJ events as we know them. Ned returns Dawn to Starfall and tells Ashara that she should flee with baby Aegon because we've seen what happened to the other Targaryen babies. Even under this scenario, Ned wouldn't jump to admit that Jon was Lyanna and Arthur's baby. You really think Robert would believe they fell in love and it's all ok???  He swears Lyanna was the love of his life. He would be very angry. Do you think Ned could have told Cat and she would have kept that secret while everyone questioned her and the general belief that her husband cheated and brought a bastard home???  No. She'd want to set the record straight. And once she told 1 person it would have reached Varys little birds and Robert would have found out. So Ned kept the secret snd would have kept it whether Jon was Arthur's or Rhaegars. 

2 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

what better way to get a young horny queen to buy what they're selling than to send a charismatic hot guy to do the smooth talking? They sent Stannis a hot seductress and Robert a drinking buddy, they clearly have an A level personalized advertising game at their disposal. 

Unless Kinvara was sent specifically to target Tyrion, in which case it worked like a charm, I guess.

Ha, hadn't thought of it like that.

I was just pointing out that DB&D's default response to casting a peripheral character seems to be to make them a young hot girl, which I'm not necessarily complaining about but it's a pattern you can't unsee and it takes me out of the show somewhat when it happens. Kind of like every time Varys is on screen they have to have dialogue about being a eunuch.

16 minutes ago, CockroachCaptain said:

Ha, hadn't thought of it like that.

I was just pointing out that DB&D's default response to casting a peripheral character seems to be to make them a young hot girl, which I'm not necessarily complaining about but it's a pattern you can't unsee and it takes me out of the show somewhat when it happens. Kind of like every time Varys is on screen they have to have dialogue about being a eunuch.

Oh, absolutely, I agree. The whitewashing of it all is what pisses me the most, though. They had an opportunity to add much needed diversity to the show, but instead they replaced a black character with a white one. Like at least get a woman of color, but not Budget Melisandre. 

59 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Oh, absolutely, I agree. The whitewashing of it all is what pisses me the most, though. They had an opportunity to add much needed diversity to the show, but instead they replaced a black character with a white one. Like at least get a woman of color, but not Budget Melisandre. 

So they did recast Kinvara? I could have swore the woman they were hyping last year was an Asian woman. This actress they have now looks like Rachel Weisz.

EDIT:

Answered my own question. The south Asian actress - Tehmina Sunny - was only auditioning for the role.

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Huh? When was Kinvara supposed to be a black girl?

5 hours ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

Sometimes I wonder if the Faith is just covering all of their bases - send a priest/priestess to every person in power.  Maybe they are convinced that the Prince who was Promised is coming; but, they don't have a clue themselves.  Just cozy up to everyone, one of these people as got to be the POP.  Their just like all the sports talking heads who make all kinds of predictions, but are inconsistent/hope that nobody actually ever checks/calls them on their errors, but then they can say "I told you so" when they are finally right.  

But it's not like there are two equal sides. So far we've seen 3 different priests, including the High Priestess, declare Dany as AA/TPTWP, and only Mel declare it for Jon.

I'm starting to wonder in the Red Religion is some sort of throwback to when the First Men (and whoever was in Essos at the time) were fighting the Others during the Long Night.

I means the Others are essentially cold and darkness, the Red side are essentially fire and light, two opposing sides. Are they hinting that the followers of Rh'llor began in response to the new WMD created by the Children of the Forrest? Did the creation of the Others by the CotF have such a global affect that a bunch of people created a religious "cult" to fight against them using fire and light?
So over thousands of years the religion has evolved into what we now see with Mel etc.

53 minutes ago, Lordsteve666 said:

I'm starting to wonder in the Red Religion is some sort of throwback to when the First Men (and whoever was in Essos at the time) were fighting the Others during the Long Night.

I means the Others are essentially cold and darkness, the Red side are essentially fire and light, two opposing sides. Are they hinting that the followers of Rh'llor began in response to the new WMD created by the Children of the Forrest? Did the creation of the Others by the CotF have such a global affect that a bunch of people created a religious "cult" to fight against them using fire and light?
So over thousands of years the religion has evolved into what we now see with Mel etc.

Unlikely. There are no stories of Others in Essos, and the religion emanates from Asshai which is southern and has a very hot dry climate.

2 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Unlikely. There are no stories of Others in Essos, and the religion emanates from Asshai which is southern and has a very hot dry climate.

True in the show, but based on the book info we know the Long Night was a global event, the Rhoyne froze along most of it's length. It's possible the Red religion started as something to do with combating the Long Night, their "hero" after all is supposed to carry a flaming sword and fight back the darkness.

Now I realise they may be ignoring this and making it purely a Westeros thing but if there truly is a Red god and their truly is a Great Other, then the opposing sides of the Others and Red religion is about as clear cut as we can get.

On 5/23/2016 at 2:24 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

Then why Lyanna's words haunt Ned for the rest of his life ? Like he didn't manage to keep his promise ? 

I think the promise Ned made was that he will reveal to Jon all about his parentage and right to inherit the Iron Throne, but he didn't, because he wanted to protect Jon from Robert's rage. I guess Ned was shocked to learn about how ruthlessly Rhaegar's children were murdered, we see that in his dialogue with Robert. And then he decided that Jon's parentage won't be revealed to the world, breaking Lyanna's last wish.

I see what you're saying. The promise could have haunted him because he loved Cat and had to put her through the pain of thinking Jon was his bastard (and also had to ostracize Jon as a bastard instead of the rightful fucking heir to the throne).

12 hours ago, grufolo said:

But she has a glamour too!!! So there's some news about her too, for example ...

Reveal hidden contents

is she the second-hand sorcerer who cut Varys as a kid and that's why she knows of the flames and the details?

I doubt that she cut Varys' parts . She probably knows about him , because you know , every red priest know secrets that nobody else knows.

Just now, SuicideSheep said:

I doubt that she cut Varys' parts . She probably knows about him , because you know , every red priest know secrets that nobody else knows.

Well, she's glamoured anyway, so she's got some secrets to keep, but which one it is, we can't know for the time being

Archived