Red Priestess

SuicideSheep

I don't think anyone quite knows. 

She is meant to be one of the higher ranking servants of the Lord of Light, and she's from Volantis. 

We know that the other priests / preachers of R'hllor are in support of Dany, so I'm guessing she's going to be some sort of ally to Team Dany and Tyrion?

Maybe we get more insight into how the Lord of Light works, and get another mention of the Azor Ahai prophecy? Maybe she uses her influence with the other priests / priestesses in the region to try and drum up local support to defeat the Harpies? No idea. 

Either way though, I'm excited - the actress that plays her, Bukstein, is a model as well and is a total babe. 

My thinking is she's there to tell either about Jon - other red priests/priestess knowing about his resurrection from the flames and sensing the importance (disturbance in the force so to say), and/or (more likely) to inform them about the situation in the north. Tell them about the army of WW marching south to try and get Dany and the dragons over there to help. 

Last year an audition tape for kinvara leaked and this is the transcribed text from that.

Spoiler

Herald: “You stand in the presence of Kinvara, High Priestess of the Red Temple of Volantis, the Flametruth, the light of wisdom, the first servant of the Lord of the Light.”

Tyrion: “Welcome to Meereen. That’s about the extent of my Valyrian. Do you mind if we continue in Common?”

*Kinvara nods*

Tyrion: “Thank you for traveling all this way. I know from personal experience how uncomfortable the journey can be. The truth is, we need your help. Our hope is that we can persuade you to, to …”

Kinvara: “You want my priests to convince the Meereenese that the city’s conqueror is the people’s savior.”

Tyrion/Varys: “We prefer liberator to conqueror.”

Kinvara: “You don’t have to persuade me of anything. I came to help. Daenerys Stormborn is the One Who Was Promised. From the fire, she was reborn … to remake the world.”

Tyrion: “Yes.”

Kinvara: “She freed the slaves from their chains and crucified the Masters for their sins.”

Tyrion/Varys: “She did indeed.”

Kinvara: “Her dragons are fire made flesh. A gift from the Lord of Light. But you’ve heard all of this before, haven’t you? On the Long Bridge of Volantis? The dragons purify nonbelievers by the thousands, burning their sins and flesh away.”

Tyrion/Varys: “Ideally, we’d avoid purifying many non-believers. The Mother of the Dragon has followers from many different faiths.”

Kinvara: “You want your queen to be worshiped and obeyed. And while she’s gone, you want her advisors to be worshiped and obeyed.”

Tyrion: “I’d settle for obeyed.”

Kinvara: “I will summon mummers and appoint priests. They will spread the word. Daenerys has been sent to lead the people against the darkness … for this war, and the Great War yet to come.”

Varys: “That sounds excellent. A man named Stannis Baratheon was appointed as the Chosen One by one of your priestesses. He too had a glorious destiny. He attacked King’s Landing, and was soundly defeated by the man standing beside me. Last I heard, he’d been defeated again. This time at Winterfell … and this time for good.”

*Kinvara turns her head as if responding to a new speaker, implying that Tyrion is the one who speaks the next line*

Tyrion: “We are grateful for any support you can provide the queen during this trying time.”

*Kinvara turns her head back – Varys speaking again?*

Varys: “I suppose it is hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. Isn’t that the whole point of being a fanatic? You’re always right. Everything is the Lord’s will.”

Kinvara: “Everything is the Lord’s will. Men and women make mistakes … even honest servants of the Lord.”

Varys: “And you? An honest servant of the Lord? Why should I trust you any more than the priestess who counseled Stannis?”

Tyrion: “My friend has a healthy skepticism of religion, but we’re all loyal supporters of the Queen.”

Kinvara: “Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lord’s Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful … but there is still so much you don’t know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?”

*Kinvara laughs. Clearly, she has successfully unsettled Varys*

Kinvara: “We serve the same queen. If you are a true friend, you have nothing to fear from me.”

*Kinvara turns and departs*

At the very least, Volantis has what Dany desperately needs - a huge fleet. Even if the Ironborn rock up and offer their ferrying services, that's just about get the Unsullied over to Westeros, but this huge Dothraki Horde will require more ships. The pieces are beginning to fit together.

15 hours ago, Lord Jeffrey said:

I liked that she appeared to make Varys uncomfortable. That's not something many people can do. I'm very curious as to what's her purpose in Meereen.

well you do remember what happened to Vary's cock right as a child?

it was  sacrificed and a strange voice came out the flames...

Anyone think Kinvara will play the Moqorro role and do a red priestess procedure on Jorah's arm???  I didn't think Jorah would survive Vaes Dothrak. But since he has it seems like they may be setting up that possibility. Plus it'll be a good way to earn Dany's trust. Plus we all know how Dany loves fire...

I, initially,  thought Jorah was a goner with the greyscale infection but now I think he's going to be merged with Victarion who is apparently cut from the show. I think this red priest will be the one that heals him thus making Jorah the one with the magic charcoal hand Vic got in the books. 

20 hours ago, Alex Arruda said:

Last year an audition tape for kinvara leaked and this is the transcribed text from that.

Hide contents

Herald: “You stand in the presence of Kinvara, High Priestess of the Red Temple of Volantis, the Flametruth, the light of wisdom, the first servant of the Lord of the Light.”

Tyrion: “Welcome to Meereen. That’s about the extent of my Valyrian. Do you mind if we continue in Common?”

*Kinvara nods*

Tyrion: “Thank you for traveling all this way. I know from personal experience how uncomfortable the journey can be. The truth is, we need your help. Our hope is that we can persuade you to, to …”

Kinvara: “You want my priests to convince the Meereenese that the city’s conqueror is the people’s savior.”

Tyrion/Varys: “We prefer liberator to conqueror.”

Kinvara: “You don’t have to persuade me of anything. I came to help. Daenerys Stormborn is the One Who Was Promised. From the fire, she was reborn … to remake the world.”

Tyrion: “Yes.”

Kinvara: “She freed the slaves from their chains and crucified the Masters for their sins.”

Tyrion/Varys: “She did indeed.”

Kinvara: “Her dragons are fire made flesh. A gift from the Lord of Light. But you’ve heard all of this before, haven’t you? On the Long Bridge of Volantis? The dragons purify nonbelievers by the thousands, burning their sins and flesh away.”

Tyrion/Varys: “Ideally, we’d avoid purifying many non-believers. The Mother of the Dragon has followers from many different faiths.”

Kinvara: “You want your queen to be worshiped and obeyed. And while she’s gone, you want her advisors to be worshiped and obeyed.”

Tyrion: “I’d settle for obeyed.”

Kinvara: “I will summon mummers and appoint priests. They will spread the word. Daenerys has been sent to lead the people against the darkness … for this war, and the Great War yet to come.”

Varys: “That sounds excellent. A man named Stannis Baratheon was appointed as the Chosen One by one of your priestesses. He too had a glorious destiny. He attacked King’s Landing, and was soundly defeated by the man standing beside me. Last I heard, he’d been defeated again. This time at Winterfell … and this time for good.”

*Kinvara turns her head as if responding to a new speaker, implying that Tyrion is the one who speaks the next line*

Tyrion: “We are grateful for any support you can provide the queen during this trying time.”

*Kinvara turns her head back – Varys speaking again?*

Varys: “I suppose it is hard for a fanatic to admit a mistake. Isn’t that the whole point of being a fanatic? You’re always right. Everything is the Lord’s will.”

Kinvara: “Everything is the Lord’s will. Men and women make mistakes … even honest servants of the Lord.”

Varys: “And you? An honest servant of the Lord? Why should I trust you any more than the priestess who counseled Stannis?”

Tyrion: “My friend has a healthy skepticism of religion, but we’re all loyal supporters of the Queen.”

Kinvara: “Everyone is what they are and where they are for a reason. Terrible things happen for a reason. Take what happened to you, Lord [Varys], when you were a child. If not for the mutilation by the second-rate sorcerer, you would not be here, helping the Lord’s Chosen bring light into this world. Knowledge has made you very powerful … but there is still so much you don’t know. Do you remember what you heard, the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke or where it lives?”

*Kinvara laughs. Clearly, she has successfully unsettled Varys*

Kinvara: “We serve the same queen. If you are a true friend, you have nothing to fear from me.”

*Kinvara turns and departs*

This is cool! Thanks for sharing that. Is it possible that the name spoken when Varys parts was tossed in the flames is the great other that Mel speaks of? That would be something. His parts being sacrificed empowered the great other. And if so, what about the unsullied and their parts. Could they be sacrificed to the great other? What do you think?

33 minutes ago, Visenya the Dragon said:

This is cool! Thanks for sharing that. Is it possible that the name spoken when Varys parts was tossed in the flames is the great other that Mel speaks of? That would be something. His parts being sacrificed empowered the great other. And if so, what about the unsullied and their parts. Could they be sacrificed to the great other? What do you think?

Hodor.

Apparently we´ll see the next 300yo babe :)

Btw: Did you ever think about the fact that the red priests are basically the direct antagonists to the White Walkers?

- The reanimation of the dead in a different way of course.

- The deep knowledge of fire/ice-magic.

- The extremely extended life span. Okay the WW probably are a few thousands of years old (at least their leaders), while the red priests are a few hundreds of years old.

- And the fact that the fire cult seems to come from Old Valyria originally, while the WW come from the Land of Always Winter.

^ Very much so. I'm currently working on a theory along these lines: the Red Priests/Priestesses as servants of R'hllor hail Dany as Azor Ahai, their messiah. That's what Dany IS. However, this is a dualistic cosmos; the god whose name they cannot say, the 'Great OTHER' is the god of the WWs - the OTHERS. 'The Prince That Was Promised' is NOT another term for Azor Ahai, but is the messiah of the other god, and THAT messiah is Jon. Melisandra has just called it right, but typically for her, has got it so wrong!

We're heading towards and end game, a song of ice and fire whereby Jon and Dany duke it out for the survival of Westeros. Get it? The WWs have awoken to save Westeros from the genocidal mad dragon queen. Too crazy? Let's see ....

^ It definitively sounds interesting. But i think this won´t happen, because i can see no way of Jon&The North fighting alongside the White Walkers and the wight-army.

After seeing a breahtaking Youtubevid about some IceAndFire-work i strongly believe in an Otherattack in Essos as well as in Westeros with Dany (=Azor Azhai) and Jon (Prince Who Was Promised) as leader of humanity against the army of the dead.

Archived