Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

Old thread at 21 pages.

Capcom exec now says they will prioritize "completeness" in their games even if it means delays. After the trouncing that Street Fighter V took for being released like half a game.  :tantrum: 

Seriously though, how did we ever come to the point in this industry where releasing an incomplete game became acceptable?!!?  I remember well the interview on Reddit (I think it was Reddit) with the anonymous gaming exec who was told by one poster "Stop releasing Day One DLC" and his simple reply was "Stop buying it and we will."

So simple and yet so true.

Would you say purchasing Paradox titles at release counts as buying "unfinished" products? I mean... they are usually kind of barebones and get most of their content from DLC and expansions.

If so, consider me guilty, it's a business model that I can be satisfied with if it means a more fuller final product. 

Street Fighter V was complete BS though.

In other news, the Chimm Star Cartel, leading the Celestial Entente Federation, now occupies by itself 25% of the known galaxy, victory is near.

58 minutes ago, Sullen said:

Would you say purchasing Paradox titles at release counts as buying "unfinished" products? I mean... they are usually kind of barebones and get most of their content from DLC and expansions.

I wouldn't consider Stellaris to be incomplete at launch.  It's a finished game and there's a ton of content.  

I bought Total War Atilla a couple weeks ago been enjoying it so far. Suppose it's the Napoleon to Rome 2's Empire, a far more polished, upgraded and enjoyable version.

Completed a White Huns Campaign on hard after about six attempts of going south through the Sassanid Empire and watching my hordes get mobbed by their dooms stack and pet/vassal doom stacks and so instead went over the top of the Caspian Sea, through Georgia, Turkey, the Levenant and Egypt til I got to the West Roman's African holdings and spent the rest of the game messing with them and rampaging my way through Spain Italy & France.

I'll have to echo Merentha's sentiment - stop making Stellaris sound so fun goddamnit I'm trying not to spend much money on games and want to wait for the eventual price drop, patches and DLC but you're all making that pretty hard

The idea they had for Fable 4 was pretty cool. And it's hard to argue that Fable 3 suffered badly from an overly-accelerated development schedule. If they gave the franchise a decent budget and development schedule, they could come up with a really good game. However, one of the core facets of the series is the offbeat British humour, which they're unlikely to replicate unless they set up a new British studio.

The most likely idea is the one floated in the video, that Microsoft will tailor-create a studio around the franchise like they did with 343 Industries for Halo.

Might buy Stellaris. Spent nearly 350 hours playing CK2 over the last few years and I've also wanted a space empire type game (like Spore but good) for a while now. $40 USD is a bit of a pain though.

7 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/17/footage-of-the-psp-elder-scrolls-game-surfaces-online?abthid=573b1a4ad7aeb8042100000b

Footage of the canceled PSP Elder Scrolls game surfaces online and it looked pretty good. Shame it wasn't released.

It's like an Elder Scrolls game with none of the good parts.

On 16/05/2016 at 10:45 AM, Werthead said:

The idea they had for Fable 4 was pretty cool. And it's hard to argue that Fable 3 suffered badly from an overly-accelerated development schedule. If they gave the franchise a decent budget and development schedule, they could come up with a really good game. However, one of the core facets of the series is the offbeat British humour, which they're unlikely to replicate unless they set up a new British studio.

The most likely idea is the one floated in the video, that Microsoft will tailor-create a studio around the franchise like they did with 343 Industries for Halo.

And that worked out so well for Halo. Halo 5 is selling better than most games, but its not selling like a Halo game.

Just finished the main story of Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The ship battles were quite fun, but after a good 35 odd hours on it, I am glad to put it down. The game can get quite repetitive despite trying to mix up the missions a little bit.

Now moved onto Invisible.Inc and it's been fantastic so far. It will probably push back on me buying XCOM 2 for a few months!

Archived