Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

So I tend to like Wood Elves in Warhammer. Are they a playable race in TW;W? I've never played TW, and I lack a PC with the grunt to play TW:W. But I hope to have a good enough PC for it in about a year.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

So I tend to like Wood Elves in Warhammer. Are they a playable race in TW;W? I've never played TW, and I lack a PC with the grunt to play TW:W. But I hope to have a good enough PC for it in about a year.

Only playable races for the vanilla version are Empire, Dwarfs, Orks and Vampire Counts. Chaos is also playable if you buy the game now, or get the DLC for it later. But I'm sure in a year, the Wood Elves will be among the playable races.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Not as of yet, no. You can play Empire, Dwarfs, Vampires, Greenskins, and Chaos if you buy in the first week. However, Wood Elves are probably the faction most often discussed among fans for DLC in the first game, along with Beastmen, since they are smack dab in the Old World.

FYI, I say ''first game'' because they plan to make three games (the last two may be ''just'' big expansions) of TW:W, offering map expansions and new races each time, kinda like Starcraft 2 did things. Since the first game happens in the Old World, and the 2nd/3rd will probably happen in other locales, it stands to reason wood elves would be included in the first title.

14 hours ago, karaddin said:

Absolutely loving Overwatch personally, D.Va is my girl for now, although Reinhardt can go jump off a cliff.  Which he did in a game last night, with me in front of him. I was on defense, so overall I feel it was a win for me.

I've been kinda interested in getting Overwatch, which I certainly didn't expect. My problem though is that I only have a PC, but I only play games with a controller from my couch (other than strategy games, where I'll awkwardly use a wireless m+k on the couch, with the closest book doubling as a mousepad). Usually that's not a problem since I mostly just play single player games. But in a competitive shooter I'd probably be a pretty big disadvantage; there's a reason Blizzard didn't implement cross-platform play.

On the other hand, if the matchmaking is good enough, maybe I'd mostly get matched with other PC controller players and players who aren't very good with a m+k.

So I'm still thinking about it.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

I've been kinda interested in getting Overwatch, which I certainly didn't expect. My problem though is that I only have a PC, but I only play games with a controller from my couch (other than strategy games, where I'll awkwardly use a wireless m+k on the couch, with the closest book doubling as a mousepad). Usually that's not a problem since I mostly just play single player games. But in a competitive shooter I'd probably be a pretty big disadvantage; there's a reason Blizzard didn't implement cross-platform play.

On the other hand, if the matchmaking is good enough, maybe I'd mostly get matched with other PC controller players and players who aren't very good with a m+k.

So I'm still thinking about it.

There are some characters where the aiming handicap would not be an issue at all. But yeah you probably wouldn't wanna be sniping.

Yeah, Overwatch isn't really a game that demands precise shooting in quick matches, outside of a few characters. Reinhardt, Lucio, Mercy, Reaper, McRee if you're close, Winston, and Torbjorn don't require much aiming to perform decently, for instance.

TW:W update; I'm beating the forces of Chaos back and have 3 military allies serving as surprisingly effective buffer states, albeit sadly most of Kislev a smoking ruin. Chaos corruption is mostly kept under control by Priests of Sigmar and select technologies. But I've made two big mistakes; first trying to wipe out the Vampires and failing due to their ridiculously powerful garrisons, so I took most of their small towns but my agents are tied down fighting Chaos corruption, so the hamlets I take have low public order due to all the Vampire corruption. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't decide to help out old Thorgrim with his Greenskin problem, only to find out Grimgor has been quite busy and has no less than 21 settlements under his control, and is steadily pushing the Dwarfs back. So while my armies are fighting rampaging Greenskin hordes, my captured VC towns are on the verge of revolt since I can't afford to put enough garrisons there. I think I'm just going to let them revolt, then come back and torch Sylvania as much as I can. They've been a thorn in my side for too long. I'm just going to gather my 3 stacks and try to wipe them out once and for all, or burn down all I can if not.

Also, later game Empire armies are fun as hell. Hellstorm rocket batteries make mincemeat of Chaos Marauders, Reiksguard murder more or less everything they touch, and Greatswords can send Chaos Warriors and Orc Big'Uns running if you get a charge in. Big change from my swordsmen collapsing under Orc Boys and Chaos marauder attacks. I'm on the verge of getting Demigryphs, and eager to try them out. Steam tanks are the next target... eventually at any rate.

Demigryph halberdiers are probably the saving grace of my Empire right now.  You can point them at basically any unit and win.  Unlike most shock cavalry, they're actually really, really good stuck in in melee so you can charge them into things like Trolls or Giants and not have to worry about microing them back out or them getting swarmed. They get anti-large bonus, armor-piercing bonus, good charge, great combat stats, and I've only seen one break when I ordered a single unit of them to charge most of an army by themselves.  They're nuts.  Pricy, yes, but so utterly worth it.  

On 5/25/2016 at 6:22 PM, Gears of the Beast said:

There's Civ 6 gameplay out. Not much but a few notable things, you actually build a wonder in your territory now which makes a lot more sense. I don't really like the aesthetic, looks too cartoony especially those dreadful looking trees and it looks like the combat units and attacking animations are more cartoony/goofy too. Pretty disappointing since Civ 5 had a really nice aesthetic. 

Yeah, that cartoonish visual is threatening to make this the first Civ game I don't buy.

On 5/26/2016 at 10:24 PM, Corvinus said:

TW: Warhammer Pretty much got my ass kicked early on in my Empire campaign by the Secessionists. I lost Karl Franz twice. I'm sure I've made mistakes, but some of it had to have been to some poor game mechanics (similar to Attila/Rome 2). When crossbowmen that are the foot of a hill can fire just as far as crossbowmen that are high on the hill, you know there is nothing you can do to win a battle when outnumbered. I don't think I've won a battle outnumbered in TW since Medieval 2.

Started a campaign with Dwarfs. See how it goes. The visuals are great, the game runs pretty well, and the added dynamic of magic, as well as being able to use agents (which are called heroes now) in a battle is cool. But I'm not sure it was worth $60 just yet.

On 5/26/2016 at 11:58 PM, Jasta11 said:

Really? My 12 unit Imperial army managed to rout a 17 unit Orc army with judicious tactics, killing the Warboss to take advantage of the Greenskin's poor Leadership and causing a chain rout with a cavalry charge. All that despite Orc Boys mopping the floor with starting Imperial units. Now, granted the initial Reiksguard unit is immensely helpful and Karl Franz is a total badass, but still. Tactics can go a long way. Obviously, a 5 unit garrison is going to get stomped by a 20 unit army no matter what, but that's par for the course.

That was on Hard. Dunno what difficulty you're playing, but it is definitely possible to beat the odds. I watched a Youtuber, Legendoftotalwar, beat even worse odds on Legendary. He does cheese the AI a bit, however.

The Secessionists actually aren't the biggest threat. Marienburg can get pretty scary as well, since they have a big city with a unique structure that gives them loads of gold. Thus they can quickly get out of control.

I only play real Total War, but Jasta has the right of it. If you can't hold off a full stack and some change with precise deployment of your 6 unit garrison as the Eastern Roman Empire on turn one in 'Attila', you're fucked. Pro tip: if you have a cavalry unit, sacrifice it at the right moment to neutralize their artillery.

You don't always have to win the battle, you just have to break the army.

Being able to use heroes in battle for TW:W is a great addition to the Total War genre, though admittedly it would only work in a fantasy setting. Playing as the Empire I was being threatened by a Varg army. I didn't have enough money to recruit more troops, but I had an Empire Captain and a Warrior Priest, and just included both in the army, and ended up smashing the Varg.

10 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, that cartoonish visual is threatening to make this the first Civ game I don't buy.

I only play real Total War, but Jasta has the right of it. If you can't hold off a full stack and some change with precise deployment of your 6 unit garrison as the Eastern Roman Empire on turn one in 'Attila', you're fucked. Pro tip: if you have a cavalry unit, sacrifice it at the right moment to neutralize their artillery.

You don't always have to win the battle, you just have to break the army.

That's why I don't play with the Eastern Roman Empire. ;) (or their Western cousins)

On the Civ6 front, while I don't generally like cartoonish visuals, if this one makes everything look less like a clusterfuck when your civilization is becoming modernized, I'll consider buying it.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Being able to use heroes in battle for TW:W is a great addition to the Total War genre, though admittedly it would only work in a fantasy setting. Playing as the Empire I was being threatened by a Varg army. I didn't have enough money to recruit more troops, but I had an Empire Captain and a Warrior Priest, and just included both in the army, and ended up smashing the Varg.

VC heroes are very scary too. Vampires are basically immune to rank-and-file troops thanks to their life leech, and wield one of two powerful Lores of magic (both in old Mannfred's case). Wight Kings are total badasses who can facetank a Reiksguard charge and barely budge. But the bane of my VC purge are those accursed Banshees. Almost 3K HPs of Ethereal menace in an extraordinarily deadly package. I've decided that, rather than try to assassinate Mannfred himself, I'd rather use my Witch Hunter to try and kill the banshees.

I've also been doing a few multiplayer matches, and I must say, Chaos really isn't very strong. Their infantry looks scary all right, but Chaos Warriors/Great Weapons get beaten by Greatswords and Black Orcs, and Chosen get beaten by elite Dwarfen infantry such as Hammerers and Ironbreakers most of the time, and heck even the cheaper Black Orcs can send them packing. The problem is, those factions have other options. Chaos's entire deal is charging powerful infantry at you, they should be second only to braced dwarfs in the infantry department. Only the Forsaken seem to be worth the cost. They do have monstruous infantry, but there's a lot of overlap between Chaos Trools, Chaos Giants, Chaos Spawn, Dragon Ogres and Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, which all get countered by halberds.

On the other hand, Empire has it all. Good ranged units, most diverse array of magic, pretty decent heroes, good infantry, good artillery, best cavalry in the game by far (as someone pointed out, Halberd demigryphs are probably just broken OP), and powerful special units such as the Luminark and Steam Tank, the latter of which needs to be hard countered by heavy armor piercing damage or it will cut a swath through any army. Along with them, a solid Dwarf defensive line and a flyer-heavy VC army seem to be the go-to setups in MP.

On 5/27/2016 at 5:03 AM, karaddin said:

Absolutely loving Overwatch personally, D.Va is my girl for now, although Reinhardt can go jump off a cliff.  Which he did in a game last night, with me in front of him. I was on defense, so overall I feel it was a win for me.

I like both D.Va and Reinhardt, although I think Mei is my new favourite. :) Talk about trolling the other team! Had loads of fun playing Mei so far, even if I racked up more time on Lucio, D.Va, Reinhardt and Mercy. Even ran a defence game as Symmetra. Unfortunately it's really difficult to get a slot as a pure offence character, or it has been in the games I've played. So far I haven't got a look in with any of those, which is ok I guess, but it's also a bit naff since if you never practice, you won't get better at them either. 

I will never understand the logic in the recent Total War games regarding who you can trade with. Can trade not happen over land? It has to be only if you have a sea port connection. I was trading with Nordland in TW:W, when they lost their only remaining sea port, and bye-bye trade agreement. Never mind that I had a direct land road to their capital, apparently that doesn't matter.

And what's up with characters losing their followers? Why does that happen?

1 hour ago, Lyanna Stark said:

I like both D.Va and Reinhardt, although I think Mei is my new favourite. :) Talk about trolling the other team! Had loads of fun playing Mei so far, even if I racked up more time on Lucio, D.Va, Reinhardt and Mercy. Even ran a defence game as Symmetra. Unfortunately it's really difficult to get a slot as a pure offence character, or it has been in the games I've played. So far I haven't got a look in with any of those, which is ok I guess, but it's also a bit naff since if you never practice, you won't get better at them either. 

Just swap to those. Someone on your team will notice and cover the support or tank roles. Or just ready up real quick, first come first served.

I don't particularly like any heroes yet. I play Soldier76, Reinhardt and Mercy because they are easy to play but I don't find that particularly fun. Lucio seems cool, but I have a mental block with the speed/hp change. I keep clicking weapon2 instead of special movement and I also don't seem to time my amplifier well. 

Overwatch has sucked me in as well this week - Reinhardt and Zarya are both fun tanks, and Lucio is more enjoyable than I thought he would be, but my favourite part is still dropping in as Reaper and spinning to win.

3 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Just swap to those. Someone on your team will notice and cover the support or tank roles. Or just ready up real quick, first come first served.

You're playing with better people than I am then, cos even if I persist, they won't swap very often.

Lucio is a bit tricky, and it can be a bit hit and miss, but he's a pretty well rounded character who I find can pillar hump and get out of the way quite nicely due to the speed boost and the knockback.

EDIT: I have to say tho, their matchmaking system is bizarre.

Been playing MGSV for a while now. My first full MGS game ever. It's pretty good. Also glad I found a way to always play offline so my FOB doesn't get invaded. If I decline the terms of service when I boot up the game it automatically places me in offline mode.

Success! Sylvania has been purged and is slowly becoming less and less of an eyesore. I had some luck; once, Mannfred was parked in Templehof with 12 units + the hefty garrison, which even with my 2 stacks would have been a tough fight. Then out of nowhere, Kemmler shows up and parks himself right next to the castle, with a small army of him, 2 agents and 7 zombies. I engaged him and fought a massive 40v40 field battle where my Reiksguard and artillery distinguished themselves, and Franz on Deathclaw did a lot of work as well. It was riduculously epic hearing the Hellstorm rockets screech above while my Greatswords cut down wave after wave of zombies. The rest was mostly mopping up settlements with auto-resolve. I had to put down a rebellion in The Moot once, but apart from that the region is pacified. Up north, my allies help what remains of Kislev hold the Chaos and Norscan hordes at bay for the most part, and Ostland even sent an army to torch two of thei Skaeling settlements on the other side of that bay.

The Dwarfs fare much worse, sadly. Grimgor is now besieging their capital with two stacks, and controls no less than 24 settlements as Azag is simultaneously leading an attack against the Border Princes. I'm going to have to intervene fairly quickly, else I could end up facing a massive Greenskin empire even if I do manage to take down Chaos.

I'm pretty sure the WAAAGH mechanic favors the AI Greenskins a ton. They get two stacks for the price of one, and thus win all the autoresolve battles with crushing victories, enabling them to snowball, confederate with all the other Orc tribes, and roll over the AI dwarfs easily.

Finished Uncharted 4, have to say overall I am satisfied. I can't decide where I would place the game overall in the series, but it would certainly be around Uncharted 2- either better than Uncharted 2, or slightly worse. Man what a ride, in a world of open world games every other week, its nice to have a linear action-adventure romp. Its a breath of fresh air in today's landscape. 

Now I am just waiting on Blood and Wine, The Witcher 3 expansion. 

3 minutes ago, Jasta11 said:

Success! Sylvania has been purged and is slowly becoming less and less of an eyesore. I had some luck; once, Mannfred was parked in Templehof with 12 units + the hefty garrison, which even with my 2 stacks would have been a tough fight. Then out of nowhere, Kemmler shows up and parks himself right next to the castle, with a small army of him, 2 agents and 7 zombies. I engaged him and fought a massive 40v40 field battle where my Reiksguard and artillery distinguished themselves, and Franz on Deathclaw did a lot of work as well. It was riduculously epic hearing the Hellstorm rockets screech above while my Greatswords cut down wave after wave of zombies. The rest was mostly mopping up settlements with auto-resolve. I had to put down a rebellion in The Moot once, but apart from that the region is pacified. Up north, my allies help what remains of Kislev hold the Chaos and Norscan hordes at bay for the most part, and Ostland even sent an army to torch two of thei Skaeling settlements on the other side of that bay.

The Dwarfs fare much worse, sadly. Grimgor is now besieging their capital with two stacks, and controls no less than 24 settlements as Azag is simultaneously leading an attack against the Border Princes. I'm going to have to intervene fairly quickly, else I could end up facing a massive Greenskin empire even if I do manage to take down Chaos.

I'm pretty sure the WAAAGH mechanic favors the AI Greenskins a ton. They get two stacks for the price of one, and thus win all the autoresolve battles with crushing victories, enabling them to snowball, confederate with all the other Orc tribes, and roll over the AI dwarfs easily.

While I've had some success with the Empire campaign, mainly against Chaos, I don't think I'll be able to truly explode and destroy anyone of significance. My economy is barely functioning, and I can only maintain one full stacked army, with Franz in command. I don't think I can get to the point where I can recruit strong units en masse. 

They made this game with the same demands of having a strong military as the previous games, perhaps more so on account of Chaos; but not with the economy features to be able to back up said demand.

Archived