Video Games: "Completeness" becomes important somehow

Rhom

Can we note how scummy Oculus are? They intentionally broke the work-around that allowed Vive users to play games they *purchased* on the Oculus Home store. This is a peripheral, having games exclusive to a VR headset is like having games exclusive to a monitor brand

Also note the promise the founder of Oculus made 5 months ago: "If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers? The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself."

Fuck Facebook/Oculus, don't support them.

17 hours ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

So, does anyone ever actually click those IGN links?

Could be worse. At least he's actually linking to IGN now instead of just treating the article (or other random message board posts from other random boards) as his own post. It's progress, I suppose.

On 5/17/2016 at 5:16 PM, Gears of the Beast said:

Sidenote: why do people post these garbage articles from news aggregators? That IGN article has no useful information, I don't wanna give them clicks. Link the original Reddit thread or YouTube video. 

He either works for IGN or just doesn't know any better. Probably the latter. 

11 minutes ago, CorwinusJ said:

I love how he actually decided to try Life is Strange and decided it was good enough to play more lol.

The very, VERY first thing I was thinking of.

"Life is strange is just shock factor", yeah that was the last straw for me. IGNORE LIST.

15 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Can we note how scummy Oculus are? They intentionally broke the work-around that allowed Vive users to play games they *purchased* on the Oculus Home store. This is a peripheral, having games exclusive to a VR headset is like having games exclusive to a monitor brand

Also note the promise the founder of Oculus made 5 months ago: "If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers? The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself."

Fuck Facebook/Oculus, don't support them.

This is not surprising. At all. Facebook desperately want Oculus to be the Apple device of the VR world. 'Walled garden' and all that. I doubt Palmer Lucky has any direct control over this anymore, so I wouldn't take his promise as a lie necessarily. Still, I will likely never buy an Oculus product again if they continue down this bullshit path of enforced exclusivity. 

All they will achieve is a bunch of people pirating their content and cracking the Oculus DRM to play it on other headsets if they can't buy it through Steam or the Oculus store. 

---

As for VR in general, I received my Vive earlier this week. After setting it up for roomscale in my room and spending a few days with it I'm more convinced than ever that VR is the future of gaming. Even the incredibly simple, mini-game-esque titles that are currently available have been some of the most immersive, big-stupid-grin inducing, feeling like a goddamn kid again experiences that I've ever had. Watching an artist friend of mine draw and paint in TiltBrush was amazing, and she was blown away by it. Honestly my favorite thing about the Vive has been showing it to people who hadn't tried current gen VR before and seeing their reactions. That alone has been worth the hefty price of entry. 

I can't wait until the hardware is cheaper, better and more readily available and there are more talented developers working on bigger, better games. It's gonna be amazing. 

Now I'm gonna play some more Space Pirate Trainer :P

3 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Can you elaborate as to why? I mean, im no fan of his, but the worst?

I just hate the way he spends the entire game being a mopey bastard.  It'd be one thing if his life seemed to be incredible prior to teleporting a thousand years into the future, but he seems to be a mopey bastard with daddy issues in his previous life too from the limited time we see him there.  It doesn't help that, as mentioned, he has some of the worst voice acting in gaming.  It's just absolutely awful.  The voice itself is highly annoying, and the quality of the acting is terrible.

I don't know if any of those of you who have Fallout 4 have tried the new Survival Mode.. but I really enjoy it. It completely alters the way you play the game, almost as if suddenly the game makes a lot more sense. 

I quite enjoyed Fallout 4 at first, but at some point it all just became an enormous drag, and endless series of dull quests, and shopping list of things you needed to collect to get all the best weaponry. It seemed to lack a lot of depth and certainly wasn't much in the way of an RPG, more of a shoot em up with RPG elements.

Survival mode though, yeah! Ok its ludicrously difficult, but all of a sudden the game becomes a survival sim, and many of the elements that seemed redundant before are now vital. Instead of wandering around with no fear, charging into situations and blowing everything up, now I'm terrified to leave Sanctuary, and have to pick and choose what I need for my trips out. Items I find have a lot more importance and you have to be more selective as to what you collect. Also settlements now have a purpose, and don't feel like a side game.

Recommended but not for the impatient!

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I don't know if any of those of you who have Fallout 4 have tried the new Survival Mode.. but I really enjoy it. It completely alters the way you play the game, almost as if suddenly the game makes a lot more sense. 

I quite enjoyed Fallout 4 at first, but at some point it all just became an enormous drag, and endless series of dull quests, and shopping list of things you needed to collect to get all the best weaponry. It seemed to lack a lot of depth and certainly wasn't much in the way of an RPG, more of a shoot em up with RPG elements.

Survival mode though, yeah! Ok its ludicrously difficult, but all of a sudden the game becomes a survival sim, and many of the elements that seemed redundant before are now vital. Instead of wandering around with no fear, charging into situations and blowing everything up, now I'm terrified to leave Sanctuary, and have to pick and choose what I need for my trips out. Items I find have a lot more importance and you have to be more selective as to what you collect. Also settlements now have a purpose, and don't feel like a side game.

Recommended but not for the impatient!

That's very interesting. I've been playing New Vegas on hardcore and I'm a bit ambivalent towards it; it doesn't really add much. I also grew bored with Fallout 4 but survival might be enough to get me to have another look. That said I'm not going to have access to my xbone for over a year so I won't be trying it any time soon.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I just hate the way he spends the entire game being a mopey bastard.  It'd be one thing if his life seemed to be incredible prior to teleporting a thousand years into the future, but he seems to be a mopey bastard with daddy issues in his previous life too from the limited time we see him there.  It doesn't help that, as mentioned, he has some of the worst voice acting in gaming.  It's just absolutely awful.  The voice itself is highly annoying, and the quality of the acting is terrible.

I understand.

14 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

That's very interesting. I've been playing New Vegas on hardcore and I'm a bit ambivalent towards it; it doesn't really add much. I also grew bored with Fallout 4 but survival might be enough to get me to have another look. That said I'm not going to have access to my xbone for over a year so I won't be trying it any time soon.

Survival in new Vegas was bit of a waste, you could still play the game in essentially the same way. In 4 that's not really true, it makes every encounter quite a terrifying experience and you really feel immersed in the world in a way that didn't happen on normal mode 

I would like to recommend people sign this Whitehouse petition to get the number past 100K

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/uscis-should-recognize-all-esports-legitimate-sports-so-international-players-can-come-us-p1-visas

I don't think people should get hung up on the "is esport sport" issue and focus instead on what really matters about this petition and that is making it easy for people who are legitimately competing in an international competition to get entry Visas. It doesn't matter if we personally think this is legit sport or not, what matters is if we think getting a visa to go to the USA to compete in an international event should be pretty easy and straightforward to do. Some people come from countries for which it is not easy to get a normal visiting visa, but getting this P1 visa would be easier. For someone like me who gets visa free (or visa on arrival) entry into the USA it doesn't make any difference (and I'm not a competitive gamer), but that's because I come from a friendly nation and I'm not Muslim. That's not the case for all competitive gamers.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it seems League of Legends players already get P1 visas, so if it's OK for them, then it should be OK for other games played as esports.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I would like to recommend people sign this Whitehouse petition to get the number past 100K

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/uscis-should-recognize-all-esports-legitimate-sports-so-international-players-can-come-us-p1-visas

I don't think people should get hung up on the "is esport sport" issue and focus instead on what really matters about this petition and that is making it easy for people who are legitimately competing in an international competition to get entry Visas. It doesn't matter if we personally think this is legit sport or not, what matters is if we think getting a visa to go to the USA to compete in an international event should be pretty easy and straightforward to do. Some people come from countries for which it is not easy to get a normal visiting visa, but getting this P1 visa would be easier. For someone like me who gets visa free (or visa on arrival) entry into the USA it doesn't make any difference (and I'm not a competitive gamer), but that's because I come from a friendly nation and I'm not Muslim. That's not the case for all competitive gamers.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it seems League of Legends players already get P1 visas, so if it's OK for them, then it should be OK for other games played as esports.

I'll sign yours if you sign mine.

Give Jacelyn All The Money.com

Archived