Am I the only person who doesn't like watermelon?

I hate it.  All melon for that matter.  It causes a gag reflex in me and has since I was a kid.  I enjoy almost every other fruit I have tried, tart or sweet, but melon can all go to other people.

My wife and kid love it though so I cut up at least one a week during the summer.

59 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

+1 for salting your watermelon. A touch of salt is also good on cantaloupe. I've been known to sprinkle a bit of pepper on it too.

Yep.  I almost mentioned salting cantaloupe too but I didn't want to blow anyone's mind.   There's also a Mexican chili powder seasoning that is not too bad on melons or other fruits.  I hadn't ever seen that prior to moving to Texas, but I've encountered it a few times down here.  For me, I'd just prefer regular salt on my melons (hehe), but I've tried the chili stuff and I do get the appeal.  

I never really liked watermelon until I had some in Tunisia when I was getting overheated and now I love it. As with all fruit though, if it's not fresh and it's not ripe, it's usually bland and gross. I only really eat it when it's really hot too, so mostly just if I am abroad. 

8 hours ago, Mandy said:

Just try it! :P

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-kass-watermelon-met-0702-20150701-column.html

That said, my kids aren't crazy about it, either. Certainly not enough to buy a whole watermelon like my parents did when I was little.  I'll only get one and cut it up for get-togethers and BBQ's or to stick vodka in for a con :P

:lol:

I was about to reply to your earlier comment about sprinkling salt on it with "Or infuse it with vodka", but you beat me to it!

I've never liked papaya. Everyone I know loves papaya. I don't like the odor and there is a weird aftertaste. When restaurants and people I have dinner with pass out the fruit salad in little bowls, I push aside the papaya pieces.

I don't like watermelon either. It sits in the same category as cucumber, in that it has texture but no taste, which makes me want to gag. Like some of my own spit suddenly solidified.

12 hours ago, Wrycthen said:

This is serious business :blink:

Flavors I dislike are cinnamon, banana and coconut but if really done well they can be tolerable.

Curious, how do you go on living without joy in your life?

:P

I believe salting your watermelon is more of a southern thing... I like it better without salt, but most everybody in my family always salts theirs.  

As to those who find it tasteless, I think you're not getting a good watermelon. Flavor can vary widely, particularly in commercial watermelons.  It's a staple in my house from May-September.  We eat at least one a week, and every kid in the neighborhood comes to help finish them off.

My dad was a big gardener and when I was a kid he used to grow these purple-skinned watermelons that were generally smaller, but had so much more flavor, they were awesome.  

I couldn't make it through the summer without watermelon. It can be sweet or not, depending on which one you get, but it's always refreshing which is a necessity in 30-40ºC heat.

Archived