Am I the only person who doesn't like watermelon?

So, my wife bought a giant watermelon this weekend and she, my kids, and my mother-in-law are plowing through it with great relish.  I'm odd.  I've never liked watermelon.  I don't like the flavor, texture, or smell.  Everyone else I know goes gaga over this fruit.  It makes me wonder why I'm the odd person out who actively dislikes it.

I didn't like watermelon until I had it in California last year. It was in season. I also found a lot of produce just tasted better in California. I'll probably not enjoy it again until I find myself there again during the summer sometime.

My love affair with watermelon has nearly come to an end in the last few years.  I find so much of it nearly tasteless.  And I also don't like this bullshit modifying that does away with the seeds.  The seeds were the fun part.  Nothing like standing around in a circle spitting seeds with your closest friends.  

During my trip to Costa Rica a couple of months ago, I basically became addicted to fresh watermelon juice, all blended with ice. Most refreshing thing ever. I must have had about six of them a day, I swear. 

I hate the middle layer that contains all the seeds, it usually has a grainy texture and a hint of moldy flavor. I'm real picky about fruit though.

However I love the heart part of the melon and also the outer part close to the rind. My dad would always cut up watermelon in slices and then cut off the rinds leaving maybe an inch or more red part on them. This would drive me crazy as I love eating the melon slices until there is no red left just light green.

Some say that's the most tasteless part of it, but when the melon is sweet the close to the rind part seems to contain a tiny bit of that sweetness and none of the nasty taste of the seed area, it's very nice and refreshing.

20 minutes ago, Mandy said:

You can google for it, but essentially, when you add salt it draws out the moisture, so drawing out a watermelon’s water content makes it denser, its flavors more intense, and in most cases, sweeter.

Hmmm ... but that kills the purpose of the watermelon. It is supposed to be watery to be refreshing. Watermelon is like fruit juice, only more messy. ;)

Like most fruit watermelon that isn't fresh is pretty bland and boring. It's pretty similar to tomato in that regard. If you hate tomato chances are good you hate the pulpy, stale tomatos that most stores sell in off season. 

Good, fresh watermelon is awesome. Especially yellow watermelon. 

I don't like it either, but then again I'm very picky when it comes to fruit. I went on holiday with a big group of people last month and we bought the largest watermelon I'd ever seen, but we didn't finish it (even though there were 15 of us) so I don't think I was the only one who wasn't a fan.

Archived